SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I know we’ve discussed whether LEOs would actively participate in firearm confiscation. Some would, some wouldn’t. It would be against their oath to the Constitution some say. This ticketing and arrest of church goers and people walking or playing in parks shows to me that the same politicians and LEO that do this, would have no problem trampling our 2A rights. Of course not all of them, but enough of them to be very concerning.

Posts: 11155 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
I know we’ve discussed whether LEOs would actively participate in firearm confiscation. Some would, some wouldn’t. It would be against their oath to the Constitution some say. This ticketing and arrest of church goers and people walking or playing in parks shows to me that the same politicians and LEO that do this, would have no problem trampling our 2A rights. Of course not all of them, but enough of them to be very concerning.

Agreed. I’ve always said they’ll find enough people to do the dirty deed if the time actually comes.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3984 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ve been dealing with this on the front lines since our Department came out with its policy.

THE MOST I’ve done is “Hey, you know you shouldn’t be congregating in large groups.”
I waive
I drive away

I can only enforce LAWS.
I can’t save stupid people from themselves.

I’ve been sued before, a few times in Federal Court. I’ll be damned if I or any of my officers under me will be subjected to that.
I can’t say the same for the rest of the Dept. I’ve heard about some head-shaking moments in the past week or so.

As I look at it, it’s a suggestion. Maybe a strong suggestion, but still a suggestion. Until someone way up high on the food chain signs something putting “Marshal Law” (or even Marshall Crenshaw) into effect-
I waive
I drive away.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8385 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
This has probably been posted but Bill Maher had a great take on the Chinese naming of this pandemic. He got got called out as a racist by liberal media today.

Viruses come from China like shortstops come from the Dominican Republic. Smile

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That ^^^^^ was simply great! Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
a lot of smoke about mask effectiveness. take a look at mask removal procedures.

non-contaminated person: - carefully remove by the ear straps and being careful not to touch the outer surface of the mask, remove.

if you are sick with covid19 then just remove it.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill Maher Video

Stopped clock and all that...

Posts: 2967 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Here's an article about the general idea, from National Geographic.

https://www.nationalgeographic...sprove-conspiracies/

There are groups collecting virus samples from people all over the world, sequencing the genomes, and building "family trees" of the mutations to examine spread of the virus around the world.

Yeah, you can follow the strains on NextStrain, which I posted before. It takes some getting used to, but if you want to see where e. g. the NYC strain likely passed through, scroll down to "Filter by Admin Division" and click on "New York" (121 samples). I like to set the chart to "radial", which I find less cluttered than the default tree depiction. China is then at the center, and you see three distinct purple lines connecting it to samples taken in New York on the fringe. Hovering over the lines will show you how the genome of that particular strain matches samples taken around the world.

The broadest branch is via a spot dated between 17 and 22 January matching samples taken in Belgium with 99 percent confidence, and in the UK with one percent. This has another four branches - one via the UK, one via France, and two related to samples from Belgium and the Netherlands.

The next branch (counterclockwise in radial depiction) has one sub-branch related to samples found in Hong Kong, Singapore and again Belgium; another one that seems to have gone through Iran in late February; and again one via the UK - this one has an early relation to New York, showing a 63 percent confidence match in February already. One of its own sub-branches indicates it went from the US to the Netherlands, and re-entered from there at a later date.

The third branch has one sub-branch coming to the US directly from China between 22 and 28 February; one more going the same way somewhat later; one going via Canada; and two via Spain. The vectors are also depicted on the map below the tree, which shows the branches via Belgium, the UK, Spain, Iran, Canada and directly from China more clearly, albeit without dates and sub-national sample locations.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
That ^^^^^ was simply great! Smile

Bill Maher pisses me off and is a liberal but he does seem to use logic occasionally which is more than I can say for most.

I am going to send that video to my liberal friends and wait for them to declare that Bill Maher is now off the reservation and not woke enough. Smile

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1781 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Bill Maher Video

Stopped clock and all that...

Is willing to abandon the self-serving fad of political correctness only when afraid for how it will affect him. That said, a good clip. Dead on right! Finally.

Posts: 11405 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

Iceland, which has a population that is about the same size as Tulsa, Oklahoma, has performed 96,000 tests per 1 million people.

Uhhh, can someone explain this to me. I'm math challenged. Iceland has like 360,000 people. But it has performed 96,000 tests per 1 million people?

Is that just an absurd way of saying "they've test 9.6% of their population"?

Why on earth would you phrase it like that?

The “per million” statement brings a “standard” rate (or percentage) to the measurement.

Many countries’ populations are 1 million plus, so “parts per million” becomes a better unit of measure for whatever characteristic tnan a percentage (parts per hundred).

Now it’s fraction time:
Test rate (TR) = 96000/million (or 0.096%)
Population (P) = 360,000
TR x P = the actual number.

(96,000/1,000,000) × 360,000 = 34,560 tests performed

God bless America.

Posts: 13581 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

I’ve been dealing with this on the front lines since our Department came out with its policy.

THE MOST I’ve done is “Hey, you know you shouldn’t be congregating in large groups.”
I waive
I drive away

I can only enforce LAWS.

I’ve been sued before, a few times in Federal Court. I’ll be damned if I or any of my officers under me will be subjected to that.
I can’t say the same for the rest of the Dept. I’ve heard about some head-shaking moments in the past week or so.

As I look at it, it’s a suggestion. Maybe a strong suggestion, but still a suggestion. Until someone way up high on the food chain signs something putting “Marshal Law” (or even Marshall Crenshaw) into effect-
I waive
I drive away.

So what you are saying is you won’t violate our constitutional rights until ordered to? That’s reassuring.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12508 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Does anyone find it strange that the number of influenza and pneumonia cases (and for that matter deaths associated with them), particularly in New York, have essentially fallen to zero? Isn't that a bit odd?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Gosh.

Could it possibly have anything to do with $$$$$$$$$ ?

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
The conspiracy/cover-up story lines continue----this will lead to some awkward moments for a few Administrations:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...rus-source-bats.html

REVEALED: U.S. government gave $3.7million grant to Wuhan lab at center of coronavirus leak scrutiny that was performing experiments on bats from the caves where the disease is believed to have originated

The Chinese laboratory at the center of scrutiny over a potential coronavirus leak has been using U.S. government money to carry out research on bats from the caves which scientists believe are the original source of the deadly outbreak.

The Wuhan Institute of Virology undertook coronavirus experiments on mammals captured more than 1,000 miles away in Yunnan which were funded by a $3.7 million grant from the US government.

Sequencing of the COVID-19 genome has traced it back to bats found in Yunnan caves but it was first thought to have transferred to humans at an animal market in Wuhan.

The revelation that the Wuhan Institute was experimenting on bats from the area already known to be the source of COVID-19 - and doing so with American money - has sparked further fears that the lab, and not the market, is the original outbreak source.

Lawmakers and pressure groups were quick to hit out at U.S. funding being provided for the 'dangerous and cruel animal experiments at the Wuhan Institute'.

On Saturday, Anthony Bellotti, president of the US pressure group White Coat Waste, condemned his government for spending tax dollars in China, adding: 'Animals infected with viruses or otherwise sickened and abused in Chinese labs reportedly may be sold to wet markets for consumption once experiments are done.'

Since an outbreak of the novel coronavirus emerged in the city in December, it has been at the center of conspiracy theories which suggest that the bug originated there.

While scientists believe that the virus jumped to humans from wild animals sold as food in a market in Wuhan, conspiracy theorists promote different assumptions.

Some of them claim that the virus, formally known as SARS-CoV-2, could be a biological warfare weapon engineered there. Others suspect that it escaped from the lab.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4605 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Does anyone find it strange that the number of influenza and pneumonia cases (and for that matter deaths associated with them), particularly in New York, have essentially fallen to zero? Isn't that a bit odd?

I'm interested in seeing the year over year numbers when they become available.

Posts: 11173 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...(or even Marshall Crenshaw) into effect...

Good one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKZkhdvSNSI

Posts: 15934 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

I'm interested in seeing the year over year numbers when they become available.

Well, you can start here. This is from the New York State Department of Health. It is their weekly influenza surveillance report.

2018-2019

https://www.health.ny.gov/dise...03-30_flu_report.pdf

2019-2020

https://www.health.ny.gov/dise...ort_current_week.pdf

Those are just screenshots of one page. There's more in the report at the links.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
quote:

I waive
I drive away

I can only enforce LAWS.

I waive
I drive away.

So what you are saying is you won’t violate our constitutional rights until ordered to? That’s reassuring.

Pretty sure he's saying he'll only enforce LAWS. If you're referring to 'Martial Law', that would be enforced by the Military, not the local PD! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9065 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
If less than 100 people having it here at the start caused all this how is ending it with thousands infected not going to cause it to spike like social distancing never happened? What is the point of all this?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post