SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would the number jump up so quickly when it appears that the quarantine was level...

Probably increased testing.
Nationally, testing has really ramped up, but for the last week or so the new case numbers have leveled off in the low 30k's range despite testing a lot more people. So that would seem to indicate that it's no longer spreading exponentially.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24477 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would the number jump up so quickly when it appears that the quarantine was level...

Disease spreading in an assisted living facility or nursing home? That's happening in my county. We had 1 then 3, 7, 13, and now 20 cases in nursing homes or assisted care facilities.

Posts: 11454 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
They keep harping on this Chinese coronavirus hitting "people of color" dis-proportionally.
Such bullshit.
Sure, it is more likely to spread in densely populated urban areas... which happen to be proportionally more black. They are also more Democrat. Why don't they say the virus hates Democrats? It would be just as true.

Yeah, it's bizarre. Or not really.

This from the shit rag The Boston Globe. One of my New England shipmates just showed it to me.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/20...nderlying-condition/

Blah, blah, blah, you get the point. Best I can tell, this wasn't even an OP-ed. And just what the hell is a Latinx?

I believe its like Gas-X except sold in Mexico for when Paco overindulges at the cantina on free tequila with every Super Grande bean burrito purchase night.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
A close friend of my mother in law's, a Long Islander, tested positive last week. She was admitted to the hospital and released the next day. She told us that several people were admitted for the same overnight stay and her opinion was that's it was just to pad the numbers. She used to own a large medical supply company in NY so she knows here way around the medical world.

Posts: 3519 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just came back from the grocery store (Publix).

I counted eight people- including myself- not wearing a mask. For fuck's sake. Next time I go back, I'm wearing a motorcycle helmet with the visor down, and a cape.

They have blue tape on the floor at the head of each aisle, in the shape of an arrow, pointing the direction you should take down the aisle. I went down every Goddamned aisle in that store, against their arrows. Only one person said something. Some crotchety old lady muttered "You're supposed to be going only one way." I said to her "I am going only one way."

And if they make it mandatory to wear a mask in the store, I swear to God, I'll just tap into my reserves and leave them to their fucking circus.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108806 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I counted eight people- including myself- not wearing a mask. For fuck's sake. Next time I go back, I'm wearing a motorcycle helmet with the visor down, and a cape.

Oh my god please do this.

Posts: 6388 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Zoro mask and oven mitts.

Posts: 11454 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And I shall recoil from people as they approach, and hiss at them.

Although the hissing may be ineffective- 'cause of the, uh, visor and all.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
DO NOT stand on the X at the store. If you do you might look up and see an Acme safe or a baby grand about to land on you.

Posts: 3519 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of that scene in Mr Mom with Michael Keaton- the one where he is dropping his kids off at school going the opposite direction and all the mothers are yelling at him "You're doing it wrong!" Big Grin

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3469 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next time I go back, I'm wearing a motorcycle helmet with the visor down, and a cape.

And nothing else. That'll get their attention. Smile

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31903 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

Although the hissing may be ineffective- 'cause of the, uh, visor and all.

Just make Darth Vader breathing noises and tell them you find their lack of social distancing in disturbing.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And just what the hell is a Latinx?

Ha ha ha ha...............guess Latino was too restrictive and insensitive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinx

Latinx is a gender-neutral neologism, sometimes used instead of Latino or Latina to refer to people of Latin American cultural or ethnic identity in the United States. The ⟨-x⟩ suffix replaces the standard ⟨-o/-a⟩ ending of nouns and adjectives that are typical of grammatical gender in Spanish. Its plural is Latinxs.

The term was first seen around 2004, predominantly online, among intersectional advocacy groups combining the identity politics of race, class, and gender. It slowly gained in usage, and around 2014 in US universities its usage became widespread. Words used for similar purposes include Chicanx, Latin@ and Latine.

Reactions to the term have been mixed. Supporters say it engenders greater acceptance among non-binary gender Latinxs. Both supporters and detractors point to linguistic imperialism as a reason for respectively supporting or opposing the use of the term.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4643 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Russia has been telling everyone they don't have a problem.

That story is starting to change.

https://nyti.ms/2JWt2Oo

quote:

MOSCOW — The authorities in Moscow said on Friday that coronavirus cases are increasing rapidly here and have already pushed the city’s health care system to its limit.

Warning that the outbreak in the Russian capital was far from reaching its peak, Anastasia Rakova, a deputy mayor responsible for health, said that the number of people hospitalized with the illness related to the virus in Moscow had more than doubled over the past week to 6,500. Nearly half of those infected are under the age of 45.

The city’s mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, sounded a further alarm, saying that the virus “is gaining momentum” and that “the situation is becoming increasingly problematic.”

A flurry of bad news on Friday about the outbreak indicated that Russia, relatively spared until now from the ravages of the virus, has started on the same harrowing path taken weeks ago by hard hit countries like Italy and now the United States. This has dashed hopes in the Kremlin that its decision in late January to close Russia’s long border with China, the original source of the virus, and then limit travel from Europe had contained the outbreak.

President Vladimir V. Putin, who usually takes the lead with great fanfare in times of crisis, has mostly stayed in the background. He has retreated to his country residence outside Moscow, leaving Mr. Sobyanin, the mayor, and Russia’s prime minister, Mikhail Mishustin, to take the heat for a health crisis that now looks set to get far worse.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not kept up with this thread.
I saw this video.
take it for what its worth.

https://www.valleynewslive.com...faa3xjMQQsQNr9ZwwZ-8

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Zoro mask and oven mitts.
There's nothing that says you can't wear oven mitts with a cape, so, I'm on it:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...270057864#6270057864

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just came back from the grocery store (Publix).

They have blue tape on the floor at the head of each aisle, in the shape of an arrow, pointing the direction you should take down the aisle. I went down every Goddamned aisle in that store, against their arrows. Only one person said something. Some crotchety old lady muttered "You're supposed to be going only one way." I said to her "I am going only one way."

And if they make it mandatory to wear a mask in the store, I swear to God, I'll just tap into my reserves and leave them to their fucking circus.

I've worn a mask at the grocery. Not while outdoors, but inside I'll take the precaution for me and my family. Call my panicked or whatever - I am not risking someone getting too close, coughing, sneezing, etc.

I haven't seen the arrows on the floor yet, but I don't care having to do that. For me everyone needs to take responsibility. If walking one way down an aisle helps keep order and 6 ft. separation, I'll do it.

Call me a sheep. flame away.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
oooh, a gauntlet

...or maybe an oven mitt

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Some crotchety old lady muttered "You're supposed to be going only one way." I said to her "I am going only one way."

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I was going to start wearing a ski mask when out in public

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15823 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post