SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 ... 1213
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm visiting family in Louisiana right now, and had to step into a giant Kroger grocery store yesterday.

It was easily 50% full of customers, maintaining decent distances, but maybe only 25% had a mask on.

No one was wiping shopping carts or handing out alcohol wipes or any such thing, either.

Roads/traffic were almost as busy as normal. I saw lawn crews working in three different spots.

In short, it was confusingly sort of normal. Not sure what to make of all that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
another comment on the data for NY City

confirmed cases 87,028
deaths 5,150

above just for NY City

NY has said 13% of confirmed become hospital patients

87028 * .13 = 11,313 estimate for NY City hospital patients

(sort of consistent w what Cuomo said for overall NY hospital numbers)

here is the issue:

5150 deaths / 11313 = 46%

We really haven't heard that 46% of the NY City people hospitalized have died.

One possibility is that the 5150 death number includes people dying outside the hospitals.

It sounds like once a person is "confirmed", that person goes on a list and they are tracked somehow to see whether they die or recover.

It would be good to know how many died in the hospitals.

Posts: 19727 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
What comes, around goes around:

CBS News Plays Italy Hospital Footage — Again — for Report on U.S. Coronavirus Response

I guess getting called out for it once, just wasn't enough.
These people, I got nothing.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6280 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

You gotta be kidding me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30724 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised at all by CBS low-life tactics. What I am surprised by is ABC and NBC not getting caught pulling the same shit.

Posts: 7606 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Maybe my funny bone has been a victim of all this social distancing and lock down nonsense, but Sam Jackson looking like a black smurf in a beret sitting in Pee Wee's Playhouse and telling me to "Stay the F home" rubs me the wrong way. Maybe Sam and his other Hollywood assholes can "Shut the F Up" and stay out of my life.

bigdeal, the mistake you’re making is paying any attention at all to the message from anyone in Hollyweird. Those folks are all about the delivery. Now, if you don’t find Samuel L. Jackson’s apparent inability to communicate without using MFing bad language funny, I can understand that, but if you are paying any attention to what any of those folks are saying you’re doing it wrong.

Posts: 6977 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each of the Governors making edicts is failing to ask the simple question, "How is this going to reduce the spread of the disease we are fighting?"

The honest answer in many cases is, "It won't." Dummies issue the edict anyway. It's like you took your car in for a squealing belt and the "mechanic" is replacing brake-light bulbs.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2093 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of these Fox News headlines/animations are great. Check out this one.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/s...coronavirus-pandemic

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news here and it will be interesting to see if this will hold true for other areas.

Germany’s 'Wuhan' has 15 per cent infection rate and low death toll

https://www.thenational.ae/wor...death-toll-1.1004050

A study into Germany’s 'Wuhan' has revealed 15 per cent of the town, where the virus first stuck the country, have been infected but death rates have remained low.

The study is using antibody tests to sample a random portion of the population.

The death rate – fatalities among those diagnosed – has appeared lower than that of the nation as a whole due to picking up mild cases of the virus which had previously gone unnoticed, researchers said.

In the Heinsberg region as a whole, less than 1 per cent of the population has tested positive for the virus, and 44 patients have died, according to the Robert Koch Institute.

The new research comes as Germany's health minister Jens Spahn revealed on Thursday that restrictions on public life are taking effect and are flattening the curve on new cases of the virus.

"The number of newly reported infections is flattening out, we are seeing a linear increase again rather than the dynamic, exponential increase we saw in mid-March," Mr Spahn said.

On Thursday, the national disease control centre announced it is planning to conduct a series of blood tests to determine how many people in the country are immune to Covid-19 and how many were infected without knowing it.

Lothar Wieler, the head of the Robert Koch Institute, says starting next week antibody tests will be carried out on blood given by donors around the country.

Germany launched the Heinsberg Protocol study to examine the rural town of Gangelt in the region of Heinsberg, where the first virus fatalities occurred.

Unveiled on Thursday, the preliminary findings, using the results of 500 of the town's 12,000 inhabitants, showed that 15 per cent of the population was believed to have been infected

But contrary to the national death rate, it revealed the mortality rate in the town would be 0.37 per cent. It is less than one-fifth of the mortality rate, based on confirmed positive tests in Germany as a whole, the researchers said.

His institute anticipates up to 5,000 samples will be conducted every 14 days, with results starting in early May.

A second survey will examine blood from about 2,000 people from each of four infection 'hot spots' in Germany. And a third will look at a representative sample of some 15,000 people across the country, with results expected in June.

Germany has confirmed more than 113,000 infections, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.

More than 2,300 people have died, a death rate lower than many countries.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12899 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

We shut down our entire economy over modeled projections that were wildly wrong....

The doomsayers who put all their faith in these technocrats and their bullshit models have driven us off a cliff. It is clearer and clearer every day that they were grossly wrong in their predictions. What we've done to ourselves is nothing short of tragic.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30724 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
If the mitigation efforts are successful, it will look like we overreacted. That does not mean our response was inappropriate.

Edit to add: Our response in terms of spreading the virus. The economic response is another issue.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
If the mitigation efforts are successful, it will look like we overreacted. That does not mean our response was inappropriate.
Uh huh. Quite some time ago in this thread, I pointed out how this defense will be used after all the "experts" miss the mark by a country mile. "Of course the numbers are lower than estimated! Because we fucked up everyone's lives and force-fed them this 'social distancing' HORSE SHIT! That's why our estimates were off. No, no, it certainly was not because we were talking out of our collective, sensationalist ASS!!!"

You can't win for losin', guys. If their estimates were right, they'd say "See?". And if their estimates were wrong, they'd say "Oh, well, the precautions made the difference."

Posts: 108426 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

Causality Dilemma pure and simple. I agree with Para's assessment. Those that believe the social distancing worked will always say that without it, eleventybillion people would have died.

Posts: 2844 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Denmark and Sweden are running this experiment. Similar cultures and economies. So it will be proven one way or another.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
So it will be proven one way or another.
Of course it will, sure, and the result will be (somehow) that all the "experts" with fucking obscene estimates and their stupid fucking economy-and-job-killing "guidelines" were right, 100%. They were right and will continue to be right, no matter what the evidence actually shows, because the the news media will make it so.

Again, we can't win for losin'. They'll make up whatever fucking fairy tale they want, complete with the requisite numbers (and politically correct kind) of "heroes"

To say that this game is fixed is an understatement.

Posts: 108426 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
They keep harping on this Chinese coronavirus hitting "people of color" dis-proportionally.
Such bullshit.
Sure, it is more likely to spread in densely populated urban areas... which happen to be proportionally more black. They are also more Democrat. Why don't they say the virus hates Democrats? It would be just as true.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24361 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
There may be an issue regarding the self quarantining among the urban population as well. There was a large block party in Cincinnati last week in disregard to the recommendations. Not that I concur that the government can necessarily shut us in but I'm just saying that maybe the urban population isn't doing the basic stuff to stack the deck in their favor.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All around me I see people getting very angry at all the restrictions. I have realized there really is no difference in Dems or Republicans, they are all out for themselves and love controlling us "deplorables" who are beneath them. It's Democrat and Republican governors/mayors doing all this damage without a peep from legislatures.
They know people are seeing improvement and getting upset, so now the gov't. comes out to predict a big surge in new cases this summer if stay home orders are lifted. They love this power trip and how easily so many have just been intimidated into blind obedience to them.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
They keep harping on this Chinese coronavirus hitting "people of color" dis-proportionally.
Such bullshit.
Sure, it is more likely to spread in densely populated urban areas... which happen to be proportionally more black. They are also more Democrat. Why don't they say the virus hates Democrats? It would be just as true.

Yeah, it's bizarre. Or not really.

This from the shit rag The Boston Globe. One of my New England shipmates just showed it to me.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/20...nderlying-condition/

With coronavirus, racism is the underlying condition

By Jeneé Osterheldt Globe Columnist,Updated April 10, 2020, 2 hours ago

In the era of coronavirus, we are all fighting for our lives. But that struggle is nothing new to Black Americans.

The inevitable has happened. Early data on the virus show Black and Latinx people are being infected and dying at higher rates.

Blah, blah, blah, you get the point. Best I can tell, this wasn't even an OP-ed. And just what the hell is a Latinx?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:

Causality Dilemma pure and simple. I agree with Para's assessment. Those that believe the social distancing worked will always say that without it, eleventybillion people would have died.

And we'll never get to go back and take the other path.

All of the experts are idiots and all of the internet people are not.

Posts: 5181 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post