SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

A fraction of the time? We're about into April. This thing has been here since likely before January. But using January, that's three months. H1N1 killed over 12,000 people in 12 months, so a little over 1,000 per month. What are you talking about a fraction of the time? Maybe those deaths will jump, but right now the numbers are on par or less than the swine flu.

Your logic disregards the nature of exponential growth. How many H1N1 deaths in the first 90 days? How many in the month from the first death?

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Great post Pulicords. The President shows his true colors when it comes to America and her People. We are in good hands.

Posts: 17985 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Of course that only works if the store in question has caught up to the 21st century so their PoS terminals support such payment methods. I can think of three major chains that still do not: Walmart, Home Depot and Lowe's.
I have the Walmart app on my iPhone (there's an Android version, too). When I set the app up, I linked a credit card to it.

When it's time to pay at the store, I just use the app, take a picture of the QR code that is displayed on the terminal, and the linked credit card is charged. No receipt printed, the receipt is received electronically by the app.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31422 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
86,486 members here. Everybody with a confirmed case of COVID-19 raise your hand....

Yeah, that’s what I thought. Smile

I didn't realize the number was that large. And I expect that out of that membership less than a hundred have posted on this thread (I'm sure Para would know). But what that number means, from the global data, just letting the dice ride about 346 of the total membership might die of this disease eventually (assuming calculated CFR, which is likely high). If we calculate a rosy scenario for the US (which is likely possible and even probable), about 24 eventually, discounting any of the demographics, or existing disease burden, or economic impact on mortality. We could certainly improve that, and may. I pray that it's zero. But those are the numbers. Raw data. I don't like the data. I don't like the disease. I don't like where we find ourselves, population of Earth. But I don't have the ability to change time, or the disease, or the results. It is.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have the Walmart app on my iPhone...

As I wrote, earlier: Ain't happenin'. No way. No how. Walmart can KMA. I'll shop elsewhere.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

This is what we get when Central Floridians turn out to the polls and elect a retard as Orange County Mayor. I've personally dealt with Jerry Demmings (Congresswoman Val Demmings husband) on numerous occasions and the man is virtually illiterate. Yeah for diversity, we have a black mayor....a retarded black mayor.
At least he's not Sheriff any more.

Not sure which is worse.

Glad I live in Seminole, not Orange. Wait, Our Little Airport (Apopka) is in Orange.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31422 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Thank God for President Trump. I'd really like to see everyone in this thread support and trust in President Trump and the decisions he is making. By trusting in him, you are trusting in all of the advisers in whom he trusts, including Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx. Trump trusts them. You should too. Let's all get behind the President. He is doing an amazing job during a tremendously challenging time in our country's history. We will all get through this together.

I do trust Trump more than any other elected official in DC or the states for that matter, but he is under tremendous political pressure, even from Republicans, to manage a crisis that is, in my estimation, largely manufactured. The media has hyped this virus to such a degree that they have much of the country, regardless of political affiliation, scared to death of something that doesn't appear to pose a significant threat to most healthy people.

The panic has far exceeded anything we've seen for any previous outbreak of viruses far more dangerous than Covid-19. We are over 3 months into this thing and we have just over 3000 deaths. For that, we have throttled the economy to idle, made 3.2 million people unemployed with millions more likely to follow, lost who knows how many small businesses for good. In that same period of time, how many have died from the Flu? From heart attacks or car accidents?

Economic devastation has its own consequences that range from health to national security. Is anyone doing a cost/benefit analysis?

I'm not a doctor or an epidemiologist, but my opinion is that what we are doing is beyond insane. It started as a media-driven attack on Trump and then took on a life of its own. Add to that the left's savior complex, and its easy to see how we got where we are. Now we lost a good chunk of our GDP, spent $2 trillion that we don't have with more to follow for sure, and still have no end in sight. And who else knows what else is in that "stimulus" bill that will entrench leftist policies far into the future? We all know they are in there waiting to be discovered.

We have also seen how easy it is to lose our civil liberties. Governments at all levels are closing businesses and churches and regulating all manner of activities with little regard to the legality of their orders and almost no pushback from the citizenry. Overreach is occurring regularly by governors and mayors looking to outdo one other with their bids to save the world. The state of Washington banned fishing as if being alone on a boat in the middle of a lake poses a health risk. Do you believe that the wannabe tyrants on the left aren't paying attention to this little exercise. I imagine we can expect to see some attempt to use these new powers to some degree with regard to climate change and/or gun violence when the next Democrat wins the White House.

Maybe this isn't "just the flu" or maybe it is somehow different from the various outbreaks that seem to occur every 7-10 years in our world, but no one has even attempted to explain how it is so vastly different or more dangerous so as to justify the extreme reaction. I am still convinced that if we had President Hillary Clinton, this never would have been elevated to a panic, the economy would be humming along with perhaps dips in the cruise and travel industry and toilet paper would be plentiful.

Posts: 6083 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris17404:
Thank God for President Trump. I'd really like to see everyone in this thread support and trust in President Trump and the decisions he is making. By trusting in him, you are trusting in all of the advisers in whom he trusts, including Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx. Trump trusts them. You should too. Let's all get behind the President. He is doing an amazing job during a tremendously challenging time in our country's history. We will all get through this together.

We have also seen how easy it is to lose our civil liberties. Governments at all levels are closing businesses and churches and regulating all manner of activities with little regard to the legality of their orders and almost no pushback from the citizenry. Overreach is occurring regularly by governors and mayors looking to outdo one other with their bids to save the world. The state of Washington banned fishing as if being alone on a boat in the middle of a lake poses a health risk. Do you believe that the wannabe tyrants on the left aren't paying attention to this little exercise. I imagine we can expect to see some attempt to use these new powers to some degree with regard to climate change and/or gun violence when the next Democrat wins the White House.

exactly....you can bet the farm that the left is salivating after seeing how easy it has been to panic people into freely giving up rights and how they can further their goals if they ever get full control. I find it really hard to believe there has been so little push back form people.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

It seems like just last week that this thread was calling this whole event bullshit because H1N1 killed 12,000 people and wasn't this way, but now this thing has killed 2,500 in a fraction of the time and total cases and it's all a big conspiracy.

A fraction of the time? We're about into April. This thing has been here since likely before January. But using January, that's three months. H1N1 killed over 12,000 people in 12 months, so a little over 1,000 per month. What are you talking about a fraction of the time? Maybe those deaths will jump, but right now the numbers are on par or less than the swine flu.

CDC estimated death from H1N1 4/2009-10/2009 (1st 6 months) 3,900. Covid-19 will eclipse that number before 4/1 (1st 3 months)

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/es...April_October_17.htm

That means about 8,000 died 11/1/2009-5/1/2010, meaning it came back harder the following season.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The leftists' "expert", Fauci, should be benched indefinitely, for being so irresponsible with his garbage statement. He's predicting squat. Motherfucker just threw out wild numbers, and now, everywhere you look, the corrupt media has taken the ball and run with it. I'm just incensed with this shit. Mad
Trump ought to fire his ass, but of course the leftist would be all over that.

Just 3 days ago, March 26, in the New Eng Journal of Medicine, here's what Fauci and his 2 co-authors wrote:

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%)"

New England Journal of Medicine

Posts: 4059 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
I find it really hard to believe there has been so little push back form people.
I know what you're saying. The little push back there is - is the people saying fuck it and going out anyway, like to Lowes for their spring gardening, walk around in Walmart, etc.

Posts: 4059 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If there's ever a massive pushback, that'll be the most effective kind - people just blowing it off and going out anyway, rather than going to court, running candidates for office, or staging massive demonstrations. There just ain't enough cops to even control all the intersections, much less millions of individuals taking individual routes to individual destinations.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
This disaster is the furthest extension we've ever seen on the death of expertise.
Yeah, just as Dennis Prager said the other day, "I hope you will join me with contempt, for the advice of 'experts.' The only thing I want from experts is information. I have no interest in their advice. None."

He then went on to call them "idiot savants- they know a lot about a little."

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:

exactly....you can bet the farm that the left is salivating after seeing how easy it has been to panic people into freely giving up rights and how they can further their goals if they ever get full control. I find it really hard to believe there has been so little push back form people.

There has been much discussion over the years about how the left incrementally pursues a Cloward-Pivens strategy to create the conditions in which their ideology thrives. Our current situation is likely closer than they ever realistically thought they would get to a crisis deep enough to reach their goals. People of all political stripes now have their hands out and are looking to the government to save them. The left must be ecstatic, and you can bet they are figuring out all the ways they can take advantage of the situation.

Posts: 6083 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The leftists' "expert", Fauci, should be benched indefinitely, for being so irresponsible with his garbage statement. He's predicting squat. Motherfucker just threw out wild numbers, and now, everywhere you look, the corrupt media has taken the ball and run with it. I'm just incensed with this shit. Mad
Trump ought to fire his ass, but of course the leftist would be all over that.

Just 3 days ago, March 26, in the New Eng Journal of Medicine, here's what Fauci and his 2 co-authors wrote:

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%)"

New England Journal of Medicine

I'm not sure why the date is given as March 26th, that article was actually released in late February (if you look at the page view metrics, it has page views from a month ago).

I posted about it in this thread something like Feb 29 or March 1 (not going to dig back to look).

Regardless, that statement doesn't actually contradict the 100,000 to 200,000 estimate, if you assume that on the order of half the population of the US will eventually be infected (which seems to be the predominant assumption in the medical community).

0.1% of 150 million is 150,000.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Another month at least of this nonsense. Jesus, Mary, & Joseph.

Guaranteed we'll see another atrocious spending bill.

Now they're throwing out death numbers into the millions if we did absolutely nothing. Seems like they're trying to justify destroying the best economy ever not to mention thousands and thousands of lives.

With all the bickering going on in this thread, was quite disappointed this went completely unnoticed!

Frick!

Another month of this shit?

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:

Another month at least of this nonsense. Jesus, Mary, & Joseph.

Guaranteed we'll see another atrocious spending bill.

Now they're throwing out death numbers into the millions if we did absolutely nothing. Seems like they're trying to justify destroying the best economy ever not to mention thousands and thousands of lives.

With all the bickering going on in this thread, was quite disappointed this went completely unnoticed!

Frick!

Another month of this shit?

I don't know what will end up happening, but "social distancing" doesn't necessarily imply "stay at home" orders. It could just mean "stay six feet away from random people and don't gather in large crowds."

Remember that Trump's original statement about ending by Easter was something like he wanted packed churches on Easter Sunday.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That's a little more palatable.

My wife is completely freaked out by this thing and another month of being cooped up is not going to go over well.

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I swear to God, when all of this is over and the data has been analyzed, I'm not just going to say "I told you so." No, I'm going to shout it, and I'm going to try to have a good laugh, despite the real-world damage done by all these panicky cattle and posturing bureaucrats.

I can't wait. I cannot wait for the truth to shut these people up. This is just so wrong, one of the most needless travesties in our lives, and we need the truth to come out ASAP.

Para, I truly hope you are right. I'll be first in line to eat crow and happy to do it.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2281 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy shit! I dont know if people just cant process numbers, or what! 61,000 people in the U.S. DIED from the seasonal flu in the 4 month seasonal flu season in the U.S. in the 2017- 2018 4 month flu season.
15000 people died per month in the U.S.- from the flu!!!!!
Straight off the CDC websight!!!

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post