SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:

As an aside, btw: In Detroit, 43 and 38 year old men with no underlying health conditions died today of complications resulting from C19 infections.

How many died from choking? Falls? Car accidents? How about good old medical malpractice?
You missed the point of this post. Just yell "Holy Shit, Holy Shit!" and beg for the government to shut down everything until Christmas 2020. This country has lost its god damn mind at this point. And I reiterate yet again, I think we should remove the heads of 15 media morons and place them on pikes on the capital lawn alongside an equivalent number of liberal politician's heads.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
If the federal gov was expected to spend 4.3 trillion this year and the deficit was rising, how do we survive paying for 6 trillion more in one spending bill? Does not seem possible or equitable to me. Are we trying to overdose on a money pill, didn't they read the side effects?

change my mind.

The cure is worse than the disease. They think they can reinflate the bubble but there's a huge risk. It brings us closer and closer to hyper inflation.
None of these politicians ever even ask where the money is going to come from.

$6 trillion / 330 million people = $18181.81
That's your portion of the new debt. Only it's worse than that. Less than half pay taxes so your portion is at least double that. Your 'stimulus' check will only be your first years interest payment. But you will owe it forever. Wait until interest rates rise.

Helicopter money.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9230000864

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
some good advice

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:

As an aside, btw: In Detroit, 43 and 38 year old men with no underlying health conditions died today of complications resulting from C19 infections.

How many died from choking? Falls? Car accidents? How about good old medical malpractice?
You missed the point of this post. Just yell "Holy Shit, Holy Shit!" and beg for the government to shut down everything until Christmas 2020. This country has lost its god damn mind at this point. And I reiterate yet again, I think we should remove the heads of 15 media morons and place them on pikes on the capital lawn alongside an equivalent number of liberal politician's heads.

One of the things that I'm thinking is when this is all done and over with, and there's minimal lives lost, and amount of sick people mitigated, the Dems are going to yell "Bad Man Trump turned this mole-hill into a mountain! Bad Man Trump blew this way out of proportion! Trump a Bad Man!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
I'm so disappointed in Michigan... Florida man is handling this better than us...

I had to come down to Florida for work for a night. So far CVS and WaWa both had more usual sundries in stock than any place I've tried to find them at in Michigan. I saw TP, IPA, paper towel, etc. No one seemed to be hoarding anything. I expected so much worse but y'all are disappointing me.

Maybe it's the Michigan weather or something but everyone down here just seems mildly annoyed whereas Michigan seems about one executive order away from a rebellion.

Its the area you live in.Down state isnt that bad!.The initial grab a couple weeks ago hit everybody but can find most everything you want.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the things that I'm thinking is when this is all done and over with, and there's minimal lives lost, and amount of sick people mitigated, the Dems are going to yell "Bad Man Trump turned this mole-hill into a mountain! Bad Man Trump blew this way out of proportion! Trump a Bad Man!"

That, in my opinion, is exactly their agenda in this, along with getting all their pigs squeezed in around the trough. They may be assholes, but they know how the budget works. And they know most Americans don’t. This will be their battle cry the closer we get to November. What worries me is the ways they will try to use fraud in the coming election to try and steal it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Why do many of y'all insist on arguing "losing a few old/infirm people ain't worth the economic hit" when that is not the point of the restrictions?

Who is arguing that? Is it the tin man?

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

That, in my opinion, is exactly their agenda in this, along with getting all their pigs squeezed in around the trough. They may be assholes, but they know how the budget works. And they know most Americans don’t. This will be their battle cry the closer we get to November. What worries me is the ways they will try to use fraud in the coming election to try and steal it.

There is NO Budget! Congress hasn't passed a Federal Budget since Obama was elected! George W. Bush was the last President to sign a Federal Budget into Law! Mad

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
At the bottom of this link is a press brief by NY Gov Cuomo

https://hotair.com/archives/jo...actually-increasing/

He lays out the data that shows a NY need for more hospital beds, medical staff, and ventilators.

Here is the article. Of course Cuomo is an melodramatic asshole but the article does have some of the real numbers many in this thread have requested.

Research scientists and "experts" in general are terrible at forecasting large scale models. See global climate change as a perfect example of a big failure. But many scientists can generate accurate models for near-term time frames in localized data sets, especially when they can follow actual data that preceded them. So I believe there is a high probability that NY will exceed their hospital capacity (staff, beds, ventilators, etc.) in a matter of weeks if social distancing measures aren't effective.

It won't be media hype or anti-Trump hysteria, both of which are out of control right now, that causes this over capacity issue. It will be the actual medical and community impact that is really happening in the biggest city in the USA, not some 3rd world/communist shithole.

This is worth paying attention to, especially for those of us who have high risk immediate family members. Here in Ohio we are seeing a 25% hospitalization rate (partially due to low overall testing rates) and it's estimated we are about 2 weeks behind NY in infections. Hopefully the infection rates here and in the rest of the less-populated country slow down before our hospital capacities are breached. Even if the mortality rate is very low, doing nothing also has a huge economic impact when that many people get sick at the same time.

quote:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo gave an update on the state of the coronavirus in New York earlier today and to say his tone was dire would be underselling it a bit. Cuomo said forecasters had previously told him the virus was coming at the country like a freight train, now they are telling him it’s a bullet train with New York as the first stop: “The rate of new infections is doubling about every three days,” Cuomo said. He added, “We’re not slowing it and it is accelerating on its own.”

“One of the forecaster said to me we were looking at a freight train coming across the country. We’re now looking at a bullet train, because the numbers are going up that quickly,” he said.

Cuomo then explained that the real concern is the moment when the numbers reach their peak, or apex. He had previously said the apex would require hospital beds for 110,000 people. Today he said new modeling suggests that estimate was low. “The new projection suggests that the number of hospital beds needed could be as high as 140,000. So, flatten the curve, flatten the curve. We haven’t flattened the curve and the curve is actually increasing.” The result is that New York is, according to this projection, about 90,000 hospital beds short. Even worse, the state has only about 3,000 ICU beds and may need as many as 40,000.

This apex was initially projected to hit sometime in May but the new data suggests it could be as little as 2-3 weeks away. Cuomo said that with the state having already shut down businesses and increased testing to the highest per capita rate in the world, there is nothing left for the government to do to try to slow down the spread of the virus. The state is testing possible drug remedies and therapies like the one Jazz wrote about earlier but there’s no guarantee any of those efforts will provide a solution in the next two weeks.

Cuomo summed up that portion of his press conference saying, “The inescapable conclusion is that the rate of infection is going up, it is spiking. The apex is higher than we thought and the apex is sooner than we thought. That is a bad combination of facts.”

The remainder of the statement was about how New York was trying to get ready for the bullet train by increasing the number of beds, staff, and equipment. Cuomo said there was a lot of work left to be done on these fronts but suggested the limiting factor would be ventilators. He said everyone in the world is trying to get these and New York cannot get any more. They have 7,000 on hand but he said the state needs 30,000 to deal with the apex. Cuomo pleaded with HHS Sec. Azar to release a federal stockpile of 20,000 ventilators to New York arguing that the situation in the state is far more severe than anywhere else in the country. Here’s the slide he used to make that argument:

Cuomo went on to say that once New York had passed its apex, the ventilators could be redeployed to other areas that need them.

All in all, a very sobering press conference. If the estimates Cuomo is getting from his forecasters are correct then we’re looking at a potential disaster that, as of now, will overwhelm the system in a matter of weeks.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2599 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
I'm so disappointed in Michigan... Florida man is handling this better than us...

I had to come down to Florida for work for a night. So far CVS and WaWa both had more usual sundries in stock than any place I've tried to find them at in Michigan. I saw TP, IPA, paper towel, etc. No one seemed to be hoarding anything. I expected so much worse but y'all are disappointing me.

Maybe it's the Michigan weather or something but everyone down here just seems mildly annoyed whereas Michigan seems about one executive order away from a rebellion.

Its the area you live in.Down state isnt that bad!.The initial grab a couple weeks ago hit everybody but can find most everything you want.

I'm in Ypsilanti and shop the Canton stores. There was not a roll of TP or paper towel to be found anywhere last week.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
As of today the top 3, or bottom 3 depending on how you look at it.

San Marino
5.5 per 1000 population confirmed infections
6 per 10,000 dead.

Italy
1.1 per 1,000 population confirmed infections
1.1 per 10,000 dead

Spain
1 per 1000 population confirmed infections
.7 per 10,000 dead

China and Iran are liars so ther is no way of knowing their true numbers.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:

It's already started. Just saw a commercial on the Tampa Fox affiliate with a moving graph of covid infections while they play snippets of Trump addresses. It ends with saying he's not a leader. It didn't endorse a candidate, and was paid for by some PAC.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's already started. Just saw a commercial on the Tampa Fox affiliate with a moving graph of covid infections while they play snippets of Trump addresses. It ends with saying he's not a leader. It didn't endorse a candidate, and was paid for by some PAC.

That ad is running here too usually right after his addresses.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38248 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Dr. Attia

Interesting perspective on metro area vs state and national numbers.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trump is allowing the republic to function as it was designed. The states/cities that have been under democrat rule for decades/lifetimes vs states/cities with republican governance will be observable by all. Trying times illuminate with a memorable light.
===================
Adam Andrzejewski | The Depth of the Swamp

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDEDR0JXdE

Posts: 441 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
At my Publix there is an employee that sprays down your cart with disinfectant/bleach before you touch it...poor guy that is his only job...one after another Frown...Walmart is like “let me sneeze on your buggy before you take it” Wink

My local Harris Teeter is doing that also. But not using the right products. Two days ago, they were using glass cleaner. Used to work for Ecolab and glass cleaner isn’t a disinfectant when just sprayed on things.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The boat ramp ban was reversed in my county before it began. Every one of our county commissioners back pedaled on it. I'm guessing a whole lot of folks, myself included, expressed their opinions to them.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m actually surprised that the stimulus bill doesn’t have a gun/magazine ban attached.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a DEM Gov

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...ronavirus-sufferers/

Nevada’s Democrat Governor Outlaws Antimalarial Drugs for Coronavirus Sufferers

Nevada’s Democrat Gov. Steve Sisolak signed an order Tuesday outlawing the use of antimalarial drugs for sufferers of the coronavirus.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports the “governor’s order prohibits the prescribing and dispensing chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine for a COVID-19 diagnosis[.]”

“At this point in time, there is no known cure for COVID-19 and we must not withhold these drugs from those who need them,” the governor said in his statement. “The best way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 is to stay home for Nevada, not to stockpile these drugs.”

Sisolak said he signed the emergency order after receiving a request from the Pharmacy Board, which claims the effectiveness of these drugs to treat the Chinese virus has “not been established,” and that “an emergency exists due to the hoarding and stockpiling” of these antimalaria drugs: chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

there are things you can do to avoid stockpiling. You can make sure the available supply gets to the people who most need it

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post