SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
A lot of the problem with masks and other PPE is hospitals switched to the JIT (Just in Time) system of ordering supplies. It allows just 3 days of supplies to be kept on hand. Hospital administrators embraced this system 25 yrs ago+/- . All supplies, towels, toothpaste, everything in order to streamline their budget.
It’s used to be hospital storerooms would have plenty of supplies.

The quantity of infection control supplies required now vs 3 decades ago is enormous. Storing long term inventories of supplies just isn't feasible in many locations. I was in dental school when the AIDS epidemic was the driving force behind Universal Precautions (now called Standard Precautions). Prior to that, masks and gloves were rarely used outside of the OR.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy Over reaction batman...Orange County FL just issued Stay In Place starting Thursday night - 50 confirmed cases, 2 deaths.

Leon County/Tallahassee issued Stay in Place and a Curfew - 8 confirmed cases, 0 deaths.

I wonder if this is a D vs R thing - since both are run by D's and the Florida Governor (R) is resisting putting the state on Lockdown.

Maybe the hospitals are flooded with patients on ventilators but haven't been tested? What else could cause this type of reaction?

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
We've had payment threads on here before, and my suggestion to everyone who has it setup, is to use Google Pay, Samsung Pay, or Apple Pay at checkout and completely avoid any exchanges with the cashiers. Oh, and when she/he asks if you want your receipt, the answer is, "No thank you".

Of course that only works if the store in question has caught up to the 21st century so their PoS terminals support such payment methods. I can think of three major chains that still do not: Walmart, Home Depot and Lowe's. Meanwhile, the little podunk, one-off hardware store 'round the corner does. But then their terminal comes up demanding a signature, even for the smallest amount. Then there's the Costco pharmacy, where I otherwise could've gotten off touch-free, except they had to have my driver's license because meth heads. And one of the local indoor ranges, which keeps your DL while you're on a lane

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
A lot of the problem with masks and other PPE is hospitals switched to the JIT (Just in Time) system of ordering supplies. It allows just 3 days of supplies to be kept on hand. Hospital administrators embraced this system 25 yrs ago+/- . All supplies, towels, toothpaste, everything in order to streamline their budget.
It’s used to be hospital storerooms would have plenty of supplies.

The quantity of infection control supplies required now vs 3 decades ago is enormous. Storing long term inventories of supplies just isn't feasible in many locations. I was in dental school when the AIDS epidemic was the driving force behind Universal Precautions (now called Standard Precautions). Prior to that, masks and gloves were rarely used outside of the OR.

Yeah... even if hospitals stored a month or two's worth of normal usage of PPE, their infectious disease control procedures probably require (a requirement not currently being fulfilled, for obvious reasons) fifty times that typical usage, so that two month supply just turned into a day or two worth.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
On another forum, I had stated that the death toll was likely a more correct indicator than case count. People were coming back at me saying that the death toll in Italy was greatly understated. So I'm not sure what to believe.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Death toll in Italy is likely correct, but I read an article that said that possibly only 1 of every 10 cases in Italy is getting diagnosed, which, if true would make the death rate artificially higher.

But Italy does have Europe's oldest population, 23% of people are over 65 IIRC.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Italy may be misreporting their death rate:

quote:

The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

Why have so many coronavirus patients died in Italy? The country's high death toll is due to an ageing population, overstretched health system and the way fatalities are reported

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyMCO:
Holy Over reaction batman...Orange County FL just issued Stay In Place starting Thursday night - 50 confirmed cases, 2 deaths.

Yup. The kids were in the room and I was hollering at Mayor Demmings on the TV, "YOU F---KING A--HOLE!" I do not curse much, and certainly not at that volume, so my wife and kid's mouths dropped to the ground.

Posts: 2361 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Yup. The kids were in the room and I was hollering at Mayor Demmings on the TV, "YOU F---KING A--HOLE!" I do not curse much, and certainly not at that volume, so my wife and kid's mouths dropped to the ground.[/QUOTE]

Oh I bet a lot of kids are going to have a greatly expanded vocabulary once this whole cluster-foxtrot is over from incidents similar to yours!

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Leon County/Tallahassee issued Stay in Place and a Curfew - 8 confirmed cases, 0 deaths.

I wonder if this is a D vs R thing - since both are run by D's and the Florida Governor (R) is resisting putting the state on Lockdown.

Maybe the hospitals are flooded with patients on ventilators but haven't been tested? What else could cause this type of reaction?

Politicians are doing what they always do....over react and abuse their power. Eventually folks will become fed up and things will boil over while the politicians collect their hefty pay and ruin other peoples finances.
I heard today that some doofus in the state health dept was asking for that exact thing here in NC. We already have all eat in restaurants, gyms etc. closed. Many closed on their own but as of tomorrow barbers and hair and nail salons closed. Here, as of today there are 400+ confirmed cases with ZERO deaths in a state of 10.5 million. That is a literal drop in a bucket. Precautions are absolutely needed but they are ruining the economy for years to come.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

They shut the boat ramps down in my county. Can't have anybody having any fun now can we? I out foxed them though:

Catch me if you can copper!

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
The complete and total shutdown of the economy has started.

I went to the carwash, 4:45pm on Monday afternoon. Full service type of place, they vacuum the car, goes through the wash, they dry it. Also have a half dozen oil change bays. There was not a single car there. One guy on the vacuum side, would normally be 6-8. One guy in the dry side, would normally 6-8. And one loan oil change guy standing outside, not a single car in any bay. A place that might normally have 20-25 people busy on a Monday afternoon had 4 people working.

Next door, a Tire Kingdom with 8 bays. They would normally be fairly full. They were completely closed down. Doors shut, no one working.

Pretty good article here on the cascade effect.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/...-says-230309693.html

Posts: 2361 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
The complete and total shutdown of the economy has started.
Please give this depressing shit a rest.

Posts: 109161 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
The Washington press corps disgusts me.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
although they are dancing around a bit, at the WH press conf that just ended, they seem to be saying that areas of the country that are not "hot spots" may be opened up some. But constraints will remain on problem areas such as NY.

That seems very reasonable to me.

regarding NY, and particularly NY City, Gov Cuomo is saying the coming peak appears to be higher than anticipated, and coming sooner than anticipated.

If the growth is a true exponential, things will get much worse in NY over the next 9 days.

From 15 Mar to 24 Mar, the confirmed NY state cases increased by a factor of over 32. If that growth rate continues, the NY confirmed cases would be over 800,000 in 9 days from now.

A lot of people will be closely watching NY.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so disappointed in Michigan... Florida man is handling this better than us...

I had to come down to Florida for work for a night. So far CVS and WaWa both had more usual sundries in stock than any place I've tried to find them at in Michigan. I saw TP, IPA, paper towel, etc. No one seemed to be hoarding anything. I expected so much worse but y'all are disappointing me.

Maybe it's the Michigan weather or something but everyone down here just seems mildly annoyed whereas Michigan seems about one executive order away from a rebellion.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
We've had payment threads on here before, and my suggestion to everyone who has it setup, is to use Google Pay, Samsung Pay, or Apple Pay at checkout and completely avoid any exchanges with the cashiers. Oh, and when she/he asks if you want your receipt, the answer is, "No thank you".

Of course that only works if the store in question has caught up to the 21st century so their PoS terminals support such payment methods. I can think of three major chains that still do not: Walmart, Home Depot and Lowe's. Meanwhile, the little podunk, one-off hardware store 'round the corner does. But then their terminal comes up demanding a signature, even for the smallest amount. Then there's the Costco pharmacy, where I otherwise could've gotten off touch-free, except they had to have my driver's license because meth heads. And one of the local indoor ranges, which keeps your DL while you're on a lane

Walmart has their own 'Walmart Pay' which is contactless. Just get the app on your phone, and away you go. It stores all your receipts and purchases on the phone. No need to touch a thing at the check out.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's almost a crime how the media is taking things out of context and used to malign the President and the effort.

Are people really so stupid that they believe if the President says we're ramping up production, everything we need is available for use the next damn day?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38248 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
It's almost a crime how the media is taking things out of context and used to malign the President and the effort.

Are people really so stupid that they believe if the President says we're ramping up production, everything we need is available for use the next damn day?

uhhh….yes they are that stupid.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

DeSantis is 2 weeks behind the curve ie. Spring Break. High probability he’ll be wanting federal disaster declared in 2 weeks.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Maybe it's the Michigan weather or something but everyone down here just seems mildly annoyed whereas Michigan seems about one executive order away from a rebellion.

You say that like you think it is a bad thing...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Not judging but just curious how many of you think you will be lifelong germaphobes after this is "over"? It's probably never going to disappear even though it will become much less prolific.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post