SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Self-described 'prepper' Charles Dawson was the very first to arrive at 6.30am.

Sounds like he sucks as a prepper.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12515 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Sounds like he sucks as a prepper.

You know I thought the exact same thing while reading that. Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20941 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Originally posted by Fenris:
All those responsible for this fuck-up should be sent to Gitmo for the next 100 years. We'll let them out when the tests are ready.

You're far to kind. Air drop all of them from 20k feet into China....without any parachutes.

Big Grin Oh, bigdeal, you're such a softie...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24328 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
An article in local news website, the damage the Covid-19 does to infected person's lungs.

https://www.wdbj7.com/content/...ause--569053331.html

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
While I do not tend toward conspiracy theories, it is hard to imagine how the American response and testing could have been fucked up any more if it had been an act of deliberate treason.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

The problem with beaurocracies is that the whole point is to eliminate any individual responsibility by hedging everything with so many rules and procedures that any idiot can do any job. They are stupidity institutionalized.

In normal circumstances, they are barely functional. Confronted with something new, they grind to a smoking halt.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Not so sure "prepper" is an accurate description, considering he waited until after the start of a national emergency to decide to buy a gun...

Posts: 32690 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
And then we have this jewel...

”House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) worked to scupper the phase-three coronavirus relief package on Sunday after Majority Whip James Clyburn (D., S.C.) told caucus members last week that the bill was “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.”

Link: https://www.nationalreview.com...s-to-fit-our-vision/

Naturally, don't let a crisis go to waste...

Pelosi adds nationwide Ballot Harvesting language to COVID-19 Relief bill

Posts: 23802 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
An article in local news website, the damage the Covid-19 does to infected person's lungs.

What does that guy know?
The numerous experts here have assured us that only old people and those with underlying health problems have anything to worry about from the disease: “Get it and get over it!” Roll Eyes

As I mentioned some time ago, it will be interesting to see what the long term effects of COVID-19 turn out to be. If they are more significant than we know right now, it won’t be the first time.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47506 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
And then we have this jewel...

”House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) worked to scupper the phase-three coronavirus relief package on Sunday after Majority Whip James Clyburn (D., S.C.) told caucus members last week that the bill was “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.”

Link: https://www.nationalreview.com...s-to-fit-our-vision/

Naturally, don't let a crisis go to waste...

Pelosi adds nationwide Ballot Harvesting language to COVID-19 Relief bill

It's worse than that. Much worse.

Dan Crenshaw has a video on Facebook. You don't need an account to view it: https://www.facebook.com/Crens...eos/280654589591995/

This is appalling behaviour on the part of Democrats. It must be called out. It's up to us to do it, because you know damn well the dominant "news" media won't

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm gonna have myself such a good laugh sometime in the next few months.

We shall see what we shall see, gents. Just wait.

We will know a lot more in a week or two, but early indications seem to point to a massive overreaction/power grab. And the way the media has sensationalized this to help feed that overreaction is criminal. One 33 year old guy died last week and that's all you saw reported for 4 days. Guess what? 33 year old guys die all the time from a myriad of diseases, accidents, etc. They just loved pushing that sky is falling narrative to scare people into thinking anyone, not just older people, could die.

I was so glad President Trump said yesterday we will re-assess all of these lock down orders in 15 days since the cure can't be worse than the problem. I think this nation needed that fucking wake up call. Life will continue.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“TOKYO (AP) — The IOC announced a first-of-its-kind postponement of the Summer Olympics on Tuesday, bowing to the realities of a coronavirus pandemic that is shutting down daily life around the globe and making planning for a massive worldwide gathering in July a virtual impossibility…”

https://apnews.com/fc044c3fa987a60534a804046215f3de

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9197 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://apnews.com/982e699459392ba0c4f3c1269b35832f

China to lift lockdown in most of virus-hit Hubei province

Chinese authorities said Tuesday they will end a two-month lockdown of most of coronavirus-hit Hubei province at midnight, as domestic cases of what has become a global pandemic subside.

People with a clean bill of health will be allowed to leave, the provincial government said, easing restrictions on movement that were unprecedented in scale. The city of Wuhan, where the virus was first detected in December, is to remain locked down until April 8.

China barred people from leaving or entering Wuhan beginning Jan. 23 in a surprise middle-of-the-night announcement and expanded that to most of the province in succeeding days. Trains and flights were canceled and checkpoints set up on roads into the central province.

The drastic steps came as the coronavirus began spreading to the rest of China and overseas during the Lunar New Year holiday, when millions of Chinese travel.

The virus raged for weeks in Wuhan, the provincial capital, and surrounding cities. Hospitals overflowed, and temporary ones were hastily set up to try to isolate the growing number of infected patients. More than 2,500 people have died in Wuhan out of 3,270 nationwide.

The outbreak has since been brought under control, and Hubei has seen almost no new infections for more than a week.

The move to end the lockdown showed the authorities’ apparent faith in the success of the drastic measures as they try to kick start the world’s second-largest economy and put money in the pockets of workers, many of whom have gone weeks without pay. It remained unclear, however, which cities and provinces, including Beijing, the capital, would allow people from Hubei to enter their jurisdictions.

About 120,000 migrant workers, including many who had made the traditional trip home to Hubei for Lunar New Year, have already been allowed to leave in recent days on special buses and trains, according to Chinese media reports. The reports said manufacturing centers such as Guangdong and Zhejiang province are open to people from Hubei

Officials have turned their attention to the threat of the virus entering from abroad, with almost all new cases being recorded among people arriving from overseas. China’s National Health Commission on Tuesday reported 78 new coronavirus cases, among which 74 were imported.

Starting Wednesday, Beijing will require everyone coming from overseas to be tested for the coronavirus on top of being quarantined for 14 days. In a notice published online, city authorities said those who have entered the city within the last 14 days will also undergo the mandatory testing.

Posts: 19702 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Babylon Bee headline:

"Dems Worried Stimulus Bill Would Stimulate Economy"

Babylon Bee, a satire site, really has been hitting it out of the park. One of the funniest, most clever groups of folks around today.

Posts: 6071 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I still don't believe a GD thing coming out of China.

No country should allow flights inbound from China for a long time.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16577 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Officials have turned their attention to the threat of the virus entering from abroad, with almost all new cases being recorded among people arriving from overseas. China’s National Health Commission on Tuesday reported 78 new coronavirus cases, among which 74 were imported.

How ironic.

The good news, such as it is, is it appears efforts such as quarantining and SIP measures do lead to flattening the curve.

For those still nay-sayers: Look at Italy's curve and our curve. Nearly parallel. Then look at the disaster Italy's healthcare system has become.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m now almost certain I had this virus back in mid-December and recovered and didn’t even realize it. I got what I thought was just a bad cold with an awful, awful sore throat and a hacking cough that would not go away. A sore throat for me lasts normally 1-2 days. This lasted 3 full weeks along with the cough, I was coughing so hard and so much I was having to sleep elsewhere to stop waking my wife. My chest hurt for weeks after I finally got over it. Initially went to my doctor after a week, they tested for strep, it was negative and told me it’s “just a cold, suck it up”. After another 10 days of this horrible sore throat and hacking cough, I went to the urgent care and they again tested for strep, negative, flu , negative and took chest x-rays. The doctor I saw told me “it’s a good thing you came in when you did, you were on your way to getting pneumonia” They gave me some heavy duty cough meds and something else and finally after a good 3 weeks I felt better. It was horrible. Never had a cough like that in my life.

Posts: 34160 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coronavirus found on Diamond Princess surfaces 17 days later

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/...faces-17-days-later/

Coronavirus stays on surfaces far longer than first thought — with traces found in cabins on the stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship 17 days after they were abandoned, according to alarming new research.

The potentially deadly bug was previously understood to live two to three days on some surfaces — but the new report from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) it lasts more than five times as long.

The coronavirus “was identified on a variety of surfaces in cabins of both symptomatic and asymptomatic infected passengers up to 17 days after cabins were vacated on the Diamond Princess but before disinfection procedures had been conducted,” according to the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

However, the report stressed that the research “cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces” and the traces were active enough to get anyone sick.

The alarming discovery came in a study of the bug’s terrifying spread in cruise ships, with the CDC calling for further study of the ships.

“During the initial stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Diamond Princess was the setting of the largest outbreak outside mainland China,” the CDC report noted.

More than 700 of the ship’s 3,700 passengers and crew later tested positive for the coronavirus, the study says.

From the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volum...htm?s_cid=mm6912e3_w

Posts: 12863 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

What does that guy know?
The numerous experts here have assured us that only old people and those with underlying health problems have anything to worry about from the disease: “Get it and get over it!” Roll Eyes

As I mentioned some time ago, it will be interesting to see what the long term effects of COVID-19 turn out to be. If they are more significant than we know right now, it won’t be the first time.

Your straw man arguements are old.

Posts: 11217 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

How ironic.

The good news, such as it is, is it appears efforts such as quarantining and SIP measures do lead to flattening the curve.

For those still nay-sayers: Look at Italy's curve and our curve. Nearly parallel. Then look at the disaster Italy's healthcare system has become.

Become? It was already a disaster. And like I said, they have just under double the percentage of people that smoke.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3993 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’m now almost certain I had this virus back in mid-December and recovered and didn’t even realize it. I got what I thought was just a bad cold with an awful, awful sore throat and a hacking cough that would not go away. A sore throat for me lasts normally 1-2 days. This lasted 3 full weeks along with the cough, I was coughing so hard and so much I was having to sleep elsewhere to stop waking my wife. My chest hurt for weeks after I finally got over it. Initially went to my doctor after a week, they tested for strep, it was negative and told me it’s “just a cold, suck it up”. After another 10 days of this horrible sore throat and hacking cough, I went to the urgent care and they again tested for strep, negative, flu , negative and took chest x-rays. The doctor I saw told me “it’s a good thing you came in when you did, you were on your way to getting pneumonia” They gave me some heavy duty cough meds and something else and finally after a good 3 weeks I felt better. It was horrible. Never had a cough like that in my life.

sorry about your illness. I was down for the week of 3/8. I chaulked it up to a rhinovirus (coronavirus). kept it out of my lungs which is a feat for me.
I am thinking there are a lot of folks at home suffering from Covd-19 or any other illness.

And that is the point. We should be suffering in isolation if possible unless it progresses to shortness of breath/cardiac issues.

Serology studies will be interesting to see who has antibodies but never needed hospital assistance. This will be part of the ramping up of the touchy part of the economy.

Posts: 3561 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post