SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Netanyahu: We are at war. Israel attacked by Hamas.
Page 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netanyahu: We are at war. Israel attacked by Hamas. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how I feel about this. We have plenty of laws on the books to deal with what is happening if they were enforced. I can see the government expanding this in the future to create hate thought laws.

House passes college antisemitism bill amid anti-Israel protests

https://justthenews.com/govern..._campaign=newsletter

The House of Representatives passed a major antisemitism bill on Wednesday, which would crack down on antisemitism on college campuses as protests rage nationwide.

The bill, introduced by New York Republican Rep. Mike Lawler passed in a bipartisan 320-91 vote, per The Hill, and will now go to the Senate. The legislation was opposed by 21 Republicans, and 70 Democrats.

The legislation seeks to make the Department of Education adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance’s definition of antisemitism when enforcing the 1964 Civil Rights Act on college campuses.

The alliance defines antisemitism as “a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews." It also defines it as "[r]hetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.”

Examples of antisemitism include calling for the harming of Jewish people in the name of a radical or extremist view of religion, and accusing Jewish people of inventing and/or exaggerating the Holocaust.

The bill has been met with backlash from both parties who claimed the new legislation would limit free speech. Florida GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz opposed the bill in a social media post, labeling it as a "hate speech bill."

"Antisemitism is wrong, but this legislation is written without regard for the Constitution, common sense, or even the common understanding of the meaning of words," Gaetz posted to X. "The Gospel itself would meet the definition of antisemitism under the terms of this bill!"

Democratic lawmakers, including House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries, have also called for the passage of a related bill titled "Countering Antisemitism Act." The bill would combat antisemitism through the appointment of a new presidential advisor that would be charged with implementing the White House's coordinated strategy in dealing with antisemitism, according to NBC News.

“The effort to crush antisemitism and hatred in any form is not a Democratic or Republican issue,” Jeffries wrote to House Speaker Mike Johnson on Monday. “It’s an American issue that must be addressed in a bipartisan manner with the fierce urgency of now.”

Posts: 12755 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that is how it is written I know how I feel about it. It sounds wildly unconstitutional. I support Israel but this is the definition of slippery slope.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Gaetz is right.

Posts: 20133 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I agree. As much as I hate it, being an antisemite is not a crime. Protesting and Jew hatred isn't a crime. Hate crimes aren't crimes. We've survived centuries of it, and will endure.

The problem i have is the hypocrisy. If you want to call things hate crimes (which I don't believe in), then make the punishment the same for a hate crime vs Jew as it would be with a Black victim.

You can't mandate thoughts, but if there are people trespassing, harassing, destroying, B&E, assaulting, or any other crime. Arrest their ass and make them think twice about it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20851 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2798 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Gaetz is right.

Yes he is...

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Gaetz is right and so is Posobiec in that video.

I think we're being spun up for more conflict in this country. When that happens, the government can make a bid for expanding their power, and money can get shuffled around by various organizations into political pockets while cities burn. This is misdirection in an attempt to expand power by various factions.

Spending 2020 and 2021 a twenty minute drive from Seattle convinced me of a few things, and one of those was that I needed to get well the fuck away from any city that was willing to let angry groups get violent and take over chunks of the city because it was going to happen again in 2024, and worse. I don't want to be a doomsayer, but I think we're in for a wild ride for at least the next year, maybe longer. We may or may not get involved in conflicts escalating around the globe, but regardless, they will be used to distract and misdirect our attention from important things going on here in our country. They will be used as excuses and reasons to make changes that will not benefit us in either the long or short run.

Posts: 17232 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we're being spun up for more conflict in this country. When that happens, the government can make a bid for expanding their power, and money can get shuffled around by various organizations into political pockets while cities burn. This is misdirection in an attempt to expand power by various factions.

I’ve been saying this for a couple of years. The leftist machine is intentionally creating a situation where good people in a bad spot are going to lose it and lash out with firearms. Illegals with criminal backgrounds, Palestinians that Biden wants to import and grant citizenship, augmented by our homegrown thugs. The democrats will use that as an excuse to try and enact sweeping legislation. The states that aren’t beholden to the fed will refuse to cooperate or support federal raiders but that won’t stop them from raiding. I feel it will get ugly fast. They will intentionally sacrifice agents to get their way. NOTHING these people are willing to do to target law abiding citizens surprises me anymore.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15638 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
If you can't look at the Middle East and tell that Israel is 'one of the good guys,' then you are well and truly lost.

It is very simple - Israel is 'good,' and gaza/hamas/etc is 'bad.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/20...ot-students-n3787693

Approximately 134 of the 282 people taken into custody at Columbia University and CCNY were not affiliated with either school -- more than 47%...

Investigators are looking at the role of outsiders who were on campus in the days before encampment participants shifted to Hamilton Hall, and whether those people gave the student protesters the idea to take over Hamilton Hall and the tactical knowledge to do it.

The NYPD directed attention to 68-year-old Sami Al-Arian, an accused terrorist deported to Turkey in 2015, who posted a picture of his wife in the tent encampment at Columbia...

Another activist, 63-year-old Lisa Fithian, is one of the people that police say has been escalating student protests. For decades she has been pictured in protests all over the country.

She is the author of a 2019 book called “Shut it Down,” a guide to strategic civil disobedience and has worked as a political organizer for decades, supporting political demonstrations across the country, including Occupy Wall Street in 2011; the protests in Ferguson, Mo., that followed the fatal shooting of Michael Brown by the local police in 2014; and the antiracism movement after the death of George Floyd in 2020.

She has also run workshops for other activists. Unions and activist groups have paid her $300 a day to run demonstrations and teach their members tactics for taking over the streets, according to a 2012 profile in Mother Jones magazine.

Rudy Ralph Martinez, 32, was among the 282 protesters and agitators who were cuffed and hauled away when the NYPD encountered unruly mobs during a crackdown on tent encampments at both schools late Tuesday.

Martinez, who was nabbed at CUNY’s Harlem campus on a burglary charge, is a serial protester on the anti-Israel front, according to law enforcement sources.

Martinez reportedly works at the school after having graduated a couple years ago. Here he is praising Hamas and calling 10/7 "one of the greatest days of my life."

Posts: 19611 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Well, Rudy, 10/17 didn’t work out well for you, did it? Unintended consequences, and all that …

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9017 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a common occurrence at the protests.

quote:
Portland Police arrest at least 22 anti-war protesters, including a few students

Portland Police Bureau arrested at least 22 protesters, only four were students, during a sweep of Portland State University's library Thursday morning. The group of people had been occupying the library since the evening of April 29.

https://komonews.com/news/loca...-boeing-gaza-jewish-

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13411 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
If you can't look at the Middle East and tell that Israel is 'one of the good guys,' then you are well and truly lost.

It is very simple - Israel is 'good,' and gaza/hamas/etc is 'bad.'

Indeed, I have told several people, “good guys don’t take hostages” and it has shut them up immediately.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I agree. As much as I hate it, being an antisemite is not a crime. Protesting and Jew hatred isn't a crime. Hate crimes aren't crimes. We've survived centuries of it, and will endure.

The problem i have is the hypocrisy. If you want to call things hate crimes (which I don't believe in), then make the punishment the same for a hate crime vs Jew as it would be with a Black victim.

That's the crux with these people. They're hyper motivated and screaming for justice, reprisals and attention however, they make no effort for the same when it comes to other country's shoddy human rights records such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, Turkmenistan, Sudan, Chad, etc... There was a period where the media was all about Chinese Uyghurs news stories and insights were churned out weekly...today, not so much, and China is laughing.
quote:
You can't mandate thoughts, but if there are people trespassing, harassing, destroying, B&E, assaulting, or any other crime. Arrest their ass and make them think twice about it.

This is the other half, its one thing to protest, be loud, demand safety and shelter for the displaced but, the actions by many is demanding violence, death, genocide. These people are perfectly fine screaming every manor of cultural insult and derogatory language without seeing the irony in their hate. They've warped the entire definition of genocide, not seeing the irony of their many chants, slogans and demands. There's zero understanding or, any sense of irony, we're dealing with child-like reasoning and thought progression.

Posts: 14708 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I am not sure how I feel about this. We have plenty of laws on the books to deal with what is happening if they were enforced. I can see the government expanding this in the future to create hate thought laws.

House passes college antisemitism bill amid anti-Israel protests

https://justthenews.com/govern..._campaign=newsletter

The House of Representatives passed a major antisemitism bill on Wednesday, which would crack down on antisemitism on college campuses as protests rage nationwide.

The answer should be easy. You're either a First Amendment, free speech absolutist or you're accepting incremental authoritarianism.

wcb6092, you're correct in that the U.S.A already has plenty of laws on the books without needing something that takes us closer to a Chinese-style social credit system of self-censorship and group think.

Posts: 10824 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
From the link about the bill: "Examples of antisemitism include calling for the harming of Jewish people in the name of a radical or extremist view of religion, and accusing Jewish people of inventing and/or exaggerating the Holocaust."

Calling for harming anyone for any reason should not be protected speech. I have no problem with that part of the bill.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...wn-political-donors/

The pro-Palestinian, antisemitic protests on university campuses across the nation are funded by President Joe Biden’s own political donors — which could explain why he hesitates to condemn them and won’t investigate them.

Two of the main organizers behind protests at Columbia University and on other campuses are Jewish Voice for Peace and IfNotNow. Both are supported by the Tides Foundation, which is seeded by Democratic megadonor George Soros as well as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and it in turn supports numerous small nonprofits that work for social change. (Gates did not return a request for comment, and Soros declined to comment.)

Several other groups involved in pro-Palestinian protests are backed by a foundation funded by Susan and Nick Pritzker, heir to the Hyatt Hotel empire — and supporters of Biden and numerous Democratic campaigns, including $6,600 to the Biden Victory Fund a few months ago and more than $300,000 during the 2020 campaign

Biden has been obsessing over losing Arab- and Muslim-American votes in Michigan — but there may be more Jewish votes to lose in key swing states like Pennsylvania, Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, and others

Posts: 19611 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US held up ammo shipment to Israel

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/389458

The Biden administration stopped a shipment of US-made ammunition to Israel last week, Axios' Barak Ravid reported on Sunday citing two Israeli officials.

According to the report, the incident raised serious concerns inside the Israeli government and sent officials scrambling to understand why the shipment was held.

The White House declined to comment.

The Pentagon, the State Department, and the Israeli Prime Minister's Office did not immediately respond to questions.

The Speaker of the US House of Representatives Mike Johnson (R-LA) commented on the report, criticizing the Biden Administration: "This is wholly unacceptable. Israel, our closest ally in the Middle East, is under attack, but the Biden Administration is yet again caving to the pro-Hamas wing of his party. The administration must end this pause immediately."

House Republican Conference Chair Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) commented: "Our great ally Israel is fighting for her existence against barbaric Iranian-backed terrorists and Joe Biden is reportedly stopping shipments of U.S.-made ammunition to Israel.

"This is unacceptable. Joe Biden has completely abandoned our closest ally to appease his Far Left pro-Hamas base."

Posts: 12755 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post