SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Argentinian Navy lost contact with one of its submarines. all presumed dead and ship lost in the abyss(Edited)
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentinian Navy lost contact with one of its submarines. all presumed dead and ship lost in the abyss(Edited) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
I thought one report I read said the US Navy thought it was resting in <300 feet of water. That seems somewhat shallow for that distance from shore.

I thought I heard a news report that the area where they lost them was close to the continental shelf. Depths could be anywhere from 300 ft to over 10,000 ft if they went off the slope. That would be no bueno.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
"Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep,
Its own appointed limits keep.
Oh hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea. Amen."

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Ushuaia to Mar Del Plata is all under 200m depth, most of it is under 100m. If the seas were 20' that was a rough ride in that shallow water even running close to the bottom.
We blew up a research submarine while charging the batteries on the deck of the support ship while docked in Louisiana in the 90's. (somebody lit a cigarette 20 feet from a "DANGER, no smoking!" sign, He got some serious acid burns for his trouble) Hydrogen gas is highly explosive at a wide range of concentrations, around 4% to 70%. Torpedoes are also not the most stable things in the world.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Continental platform is quite shallow but they're feared to have sailed past it.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the emotion that these two are going through.

At the very last minute, two sailors did not board the Argentinian submarine that has been lost in the South Atlantic for nine days now.

For different reasons, Humberto Vilte and Adrián Rothlisberger did not board the submarine with the 44 other crew members, according to O Globo, a Brazilian newspaper.

Vilte was allowed to skip the mission after he learned that his mother had been hospitalized, O Globo reported. Known by his friends as "Beto," Vilte was not only given permission to leave, but the navy also paid for his trip back home, according to Argentinian newspaper Clarín.

Since the submarine’s disappearance, Vilte changed his profile picture to an image of the ARA San Juan shield with a black ribbon, Clarín reported.

Rothlisberger was released from the trip after he had fulfilled a series of tasks for his boss, his mother said, according to O Globo. He avoided the trip in “a matter of seconds,” Sandra Álvares said.

Álvares told Radio Dos that it is a “miracle” that her son did not board the submarine.

“Keep praying,” she said.

Both men have reportedly traveled back to Mar del Plata, a coastal city in Argentina, where loved ones have gathered to await news of the submarine’s fate.

The Argentinian navy said Thursday an explosion occurred near the time and place where the sub went missing on Nov. 15, causing some loved ones to give up hope that the crew will be rescued. Navy officials worry that even if the submarine is still intact, the crew might be running out of oxygen.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...-at-last-minute.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought one report I read said the US Navy thought it was resting in <300 feet of water. That seems somewhat shallow for that distance from shore.

Navionics has graciously put their charts online, for free. You can find depth and contours for anywhere in the world here:
https://webapp.navionics.com/#...g@3&key=~%7B_rFrbcdI

250 miles south of Mar del Plata could be on the continental shelf, or in deep water, depending on the sub's exact route.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
"Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep,
Its own appointed limits keep.
Oh hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea. Amen."

Mike, I echo these sentiments. Thanks for posting.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

So if they submerged and several batteries were leaking hydrogen, they lose propulsion and cannot surface, hydrogen continues to build until it finds an ignition source and the hull is compromised. Plausible?

The batteries would only be expelling hydrogen if they are actively being charged (again, assuming they are lead acid batteries). When they are not being charged, they are not giving off hydrogen. If they were submerged, then they would not be charging the batteries. Do I have that right?

I don't believe batteries giving off hydrogen was the issue here.

Depending on the battery, they can go in to thermal runaway. Nothing can put it out except full immersion and when super hot hits cold...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Media reported the batteries are lead acid and were sort of remanufactured instead of replaced, recently.

Former sailor said the sub should carry 35 not 44 crewmembers.

0-0

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Media reported the batteries are lead acid and were sort of remanufactured instead of replaced, recently.

Former sailor said the sub should carry 35 not 44 crewmembers.

0-0

I have NEVER seen remanufactured batteries be worth a shit. Knowing this I would guess a battery grenaded or two.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I have NEVER seen remanufactured batteries be worth a shit. Knowing this I would guess a battery grenaded or two.

Spent many of days at sea on re-manufactured batteries and I'm still here. I'm starting to believe that there was a bad decision made by someone in charge (ie....the CO.). The problem is, we'll never know if it's sitting on the bottom in pieces.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
quote:

Spent many of days at sea on re-manufactured batteries and I'm still here. I'm starting to believe that there was a bad decision made by someone in charge (ie....the CO.). The problem is, we'll never know if it's sitting on the bottom in pieces.

Well, if they never find it, then nobody will know.

It went through a major refit in Brazil in 2013 where the entire sub was cut in half and repowered and refit. So it's anybody's guess as to what really happened.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The US Navy will find it. I am sorry this happened to those sailors. I hope they didn't suffer.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Amen. Tragic.

The whole "cutting it in half" during retrofit makes me wonder. If they couldn't build their own sub in the first place, would they be able to successfully cut through the pressure hull and stitch it back together? No matter who is doing it that just seems like it is full of danger. Is that common on a retrofit?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
The US Navy will find it. I am sorry this happened to those sailors. I hope they didn't suffer.

Yeah. Too much time has passed. The chances are slim. I also hope they didn't suffer. I pray their families can find peace.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Amen. Tragic.

The whole "cutting it in half" during retrofit makes me wonder. If they couldn't build their own sub in the first place, would they be able to successfully cut through the pressure hull and stitch it back together? No matter who is doing it that just seems like it is full of danger. Is that common on a retrofit?

It's not uncommon, depending on what has to be done. I don't imagine they have the "SubSafe" certified welders that are used in this country.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Amen. Tragic.

I know nothing on subs.

But on steel freighters/ships, it is somewhat common to cut them in half, sometimes weld a new piece of hull in the middle (to extend the length) and to weld the two sides together. Or to cut it in half if the engine has a catastrophic failure and to weld it back together.

I would assume it's possible on a submarine also, but only as good as the quality of metal you're welding and the expertise of the welders themselves. The entire submarine started it's life as a bunch of plates that were welded together, but obviously easier to get it right when the metal is new and clean, hasn't been stressed, is in the proper jigs, and you're the welder at the shipyard in Germany building it.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
The entire submarine started it's life as a bunch of plates that were welded together,
It's a lot more systematized than that. They build ships and submarines in modules, move the modules together on giant SPMTs, weld the modules together, NDE the welds, connect the systems together, rinse and repeat until they have the whole thing assembled, integration folks come in and get everything working together, and QA/QC checks everything out. I know because they build Oil & gas offshore platforms in the same shipyards.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
The entire submarine started it's life as a bunch of plates that were welded together,
It's a lot more systematized than that. They build ships and submarines in modules, move the modules together on giant SPMTs, weld the modules together, NDE the welds, connect the systems together, rinse and repeat until they have the whole thing assembled, integration folks come in and get everything working together, and QA/QC checks everything out. I know because they build Oil & gas offshore platforms in the same shipyards.

I understand that, but I was getting the point across that the entire sub started as a bunch of steel plates that are welded together......so cutting it in half and welding it back together is do able (in the right shipyard of course) and somewhat similar in construction.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
TODAY we learn that THE DAY BEFORE the sub last report it had declared a fire and that comms were compromised. A day later, before it went missing, the capt. said it was under control and the base decided to have the sub continue as planned instead of taking and precautionary measures that would have put the ship closer to shallower waters and more immediate assistance if required. The ship went missing on wed. and the Navy informed the DefMin the next day.

A lot of compromises were made in fixing the sub during its midlife service and it was not sent to the manufacturer because Argentinas serious economic troubles -read default and fear of asset being seized by port authorities as it happened to our frigate - the one with sails - on its world tour.

Also a lot of dirty laundry being found on the local process of fixing the boat.

0-0