SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What will you have on your hot dog?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will you have on your hot dog? Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
depending where I am, and the mood,

> Slaw dog, just a dog, bun, and coleslaw (only 2 places in town do them right)

> mustard and onions,

> Chili and mustard (and sometimes onions)

local to me gas station/country store does a good chili dog, I have them about once a week

sides,

whatever flavor chip I am in the mood for (and the country store has in stock) at a Legends brown ale

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Chopped raw onions. Plenty of them.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
On a regular old hot dog, give me yellow mustard and a slice of sharp cheddar.

But if we're getting into other fancier sausages and brats, then spicy mustard and sauerkraut is the way to go.

Also, some may think it's odd, but I prefer wrapping the hot dog in a flour tortilla instead of a hot dog bun. With traditional cheap white hot dog buns, you're getting like 75% bread to 25% dog, and each bite just end ups as a gluey mass of meat-flavored dough that sticks to the roof of your mouth. (But then I'm not a fan of most cheap white bread anyway...) Tortillas are higher quality bread, and make for a better bread-to-meat ratio to boot.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Chicago Dog + ketchup

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Ideally, my own special chili for hot dogs, chopped raw onions.

But most of time, mustard, dill relish, onions, celery salt.

Always a side of tator tots.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Usually, coleslaw and ketchup....like the occasional chili dog with cheese though. Yum!

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Like VictomNoMore and ragman, give me a good WVa dog.
But usually it’s a Smith Natural Casing Weiner, onions, and either Stadium or Bertmans Mustard.
I do like melted American cheese on a warm bun, with chili and onions

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome thread! Just last night I slow cooked hot dogs over a giant bed of wood coals. When they had reached the correct color of brown, and absorbed the correct amount of wood smoke, we lovingly placed them into potato rolls. Then, we added catsup and mustard, and finely minced fresh onions. Homemade baked beans and mac and cheese on the side. Loaded more wood into the fire ring(steel truck rims), with fire roaring, sun setting, I leaned back in the bag chair, and thought "the world is a pretty good place".

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
In no particular order.

Chili, chedder cheese, Japaleenos.

Ketchup, mustard, sweet relish.

Sauerkraut.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Also, some may think it's odd, but I prefer wrapping the hot dog in a flour tortilla instead of a hot dog bun. With traditional cheap white hot dog buns, you're getting like 75% bread to 25% dog, and each bite just end ups as a gluey mass of meat-flavored dough that sticks to the roof of your mouth. (But then I'm not a fan of most cheap white bread anyway...) Tortillas are higher quality bread, and make for a better bread-to-meat ratio to boot.

I do this often with sausage. Especially the good German inspired sausage that is a staple of the Texas Hill Country bbq genre. Nothing better when grilling out or around a campfire.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager we called them suicide dogs. Chili, cheese, slaw, onions, ketchup, yellow mustard, and mayo. Two Tums on the side please now.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Chicago style, minus the onion.

Posts: 3676 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Chili Dog sounds perfect today! Just chili and cheese please!

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Here at home, regular is yellow mustard, sweet relish and sweet onion. Special is German mustard, sweet onion and sauerkraut.

But oh man, do I miss Rodger's Coney Island Hot Dogs from North Main Street, Fall River Massachusetts. Used to get a 4 pack when I was driving north out of town, with a cold Coke, and I swear they were gone before I got up to cruising speed on Rte. 24 North.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Cowboy candy.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Few years ago I ordered a cheese dog at a Five Guys. Guy asked me what I wanted on it and I said "cheese". My co workers thought it was hilarious. Guy taking the order didn't think it was as funny. Thing is, I was being completely serious.

Bottom line, I like my hot dogs plain with just ketchup. Every now and then a cheese dog hits the spot though, especially if its from the Salty Dog in Sarasota! Harry doesn't approve, but that is just the way I like them.

At the Flying Saucer beer emporium I order the Sheboygan Side by Side, which is just a couple of brats on a bun with sauerkraut and mustard, except I get just the brats and bun plain with some cheese queso on the side to put on it. Delicious.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
When I can get them, I prefer a Koegel Vienna

Probably one of the only benefits of living here in Michigan, home of these excellent wieners.

A Detroit Coney dog or several is my favorite Big Grin

I also use a tortilla, when not having a coney dog, and will place two that have been crisped up in the pan with a schmear of Boursin cheese and some dijon mustard, with some finely chopped onion . . .

Yum.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltbarber:
Awesome thread! Just last night I slow cooked hot dogs over a giant bed of wood coals. When they had reached the correct color of brown, and absorbed the correct amount of wood smoke, we lovingly placed them into potato rolls.
<snip>

None of the grocery stores around here offer Martin’s Potato Bread buns. But the nearby Shake Shack will sell Martin’s hotdog or burger buns to me. The best buns!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Here at home, regular is yellow mustard, sweet relish and sweet onion. Special is German mustard, sweet onion and sauerkraut.

What does German mustard taste like? I don't think I've ever tried it.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mustard, chili, cheese, light on the onions, and cole slaw.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post