SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What will you have on your hot dog?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will you have on your hot dog? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
<snip>
What does German mustard taste like? I don't think I've ever tried it.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I use Thumann’s Düsseldorf Mustard. I can’t describe its flavor, except that it’s significantly less tart than French’s mustard.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
There's a place in San Diego, Duff's Dogs, located in the Home Depot parking lot in Carmel Mountain (shameless shout out) who only does dogs and lobstah rolls.

My favorite; a Connecticut style lobster roll followed by a Chicago dog. Sometimes there's a chilli n cheese dog with mustard.

The guy receives live Maine lobsters from his brother - a lobster fisher who also owns a FedEx store - couple times a week. Rolls may cost a bit more than in Maine ($14 here) but damn, they're probably the closest thing to genuine in the county.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple. Kraut and regular yellow mustard.

I’m not opposed to a fancier dog; not at all. There are very few foods that I do not like. But, I suspect that most of us have particular memories attached to hot dogs. Mine just happen to have been formed via a basic dog.

Thanks for cooking and thanks for a thread that takes a break from all the hubbub. Today is a particularly tough day and this was a very nice break Para.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If I'm making my own, grilled dog with mustard and onions. Might get fancy and do the Chicago dog.

I don't order them out often, but if I do I'll usually get one Chicago dog and one Coney dog (I prefer Coney dogs to Chili dogs).

I've never made it myself or seen it anywhere else, but when I was in Kauai there was a place called Puka dog that had polish sausage, with garlic lemon sauce, and pineapple relish and it was delicious.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer 3 different dogs:
Skyline Chili Dog. Not available in the Yoop. Frown
Chicago Dog. Can be found here but scarce.
Homemade: Velveeta Cheese, Sweet Relish and Ketchup.
All dogs should be Angus Beef! Arf!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

What does German mustard taste like? I don't think I've ever tried it.

German mustard is coarse ground, rich, with a bit of horseradish heat to it. Very good stuff. Inglehoffer Original Stone Ground is pretty close. I haven't found the real thing here, but Inglehoffer is good. I'll have to try the Thumanns that Pipe Smoker suggests.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I like lots and lots of cheap, runny yellow mustard - like the kind you used to pump out of that big jar at the ball park.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is making me hungry for a dog. It's a rare treat these days because I'm on really strict low sodium diet. I suppose my most common toppings were mustard and onions but I have tried about every combination of condiments I've run into.

Anyone remember the hot dog condiment train in the movie Nothing But Trouble? The movie starred Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, John Candy and Demi Moore.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Frenches Yellow Mustard, Heinz Ketsup, Diced Sweet Onion, thanks for asking.
Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Feeling saucy today. Might just go mustard and onions.

A departure from the standard Chicago dog.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Just plain mustard. All that other stuff distracts from a quality dog. And not too much mustard.

totally agree, Hamden106.

I've gone thru decades & life eras where other more complex wads0stuff were bodaciously applied.

I prefer the plain simple dog with plain simple yellow mustard these days.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to enjoy a plain white bun to soak up the juices, occasionally a touch of mustard too.

These days sailboat fuel surrounding the dog along with a napkin assist if juices escape.

Posts: 427 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
mustard, ketchup, and relish

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Chili cheese dog is hard to beat.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Funny, I was planning on grilling sausages for dinner. I'll have spicy brown mustard and sauerkraut.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kraut and stadium mustard on a good casing hotdog. If I can’t find my favorite casing dogs, then all beef dressed the same

Posts: 457 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
German mustard is coarse ground, rich, with a bit of horseradish heat to it. Very good stuff. Inglehoffer Original Stone Ground is pretty close. I haven't found the real thing here

Try Aldi. Looks like there's a slew of them throughout Central Florida.

The one near me has German mustard sporadically, especially during "German Week", which started this past Wednesday. (In honor of Oktoberfest.)

They currently are offering this variety of 3 different types of German mustard: https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-...ssorted-varieties-1/

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

Here’s how I normally do my dogs and brats. I think sauerkraut is key to a good dog unless it’s a chili dog. When chili is involved, the spicier, the better! Made chili with ghost peppers out of my garden on Wednesday and made the chili dogs on Thursday with the leftovers.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Mustard, onions that's it.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Chicago dog all the way please. I could crush a couple of those right now. And no sides necessary. Just a tall glass of ice cold beer.

We had a Chicago Dog joint near the PD before I retired 20 years ago. One of the few things I miss about that place. I ordered my dogs like the picture every time.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post