SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone done your census yet?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone done your census yet? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoveEgg:
Why are some of you guys so defiant when it comes to completing the census? What's your beef?

I don't like personal surveys.

I have not turned in a completed census since an early one, 1990. Never been fined. Just a bunch of followup forms and letters sent. Then it stops. To me, it is junk mail.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The census data is used to determine for each state the number of members in the House of Representatives.

Sadly, the data for citizenship is not now collected. If we had collected it, there could have been a push to only count citizens to determine the number of representatives.

States like California w millions of illegals, get extra representation in the House because of those illegals.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
States like California w millions of illegals, get extra representation in the House because of those illegals.

And every time someone upholds what he believes is a lofty principle by refusing to answer the census (which, BTW, is mandated by that holy writ, the Constitution of the United States of America), it reduces his influence on the number of congressional representatives his state is due. I.e., it’s the same as not voting.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And every time someone upholds what he believes is a lofty principle by refusing to answer the census (which, BTW, is mandated by that holy writ, the Constitution of the United States of America), it reduces his influence on the number of congressional representatives his state is due. I.e., it’s the same as not voting.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I did it online. Took about 10 minutes.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I did it online.

Me too... two days ago. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

You want places like NJ to have more representatives?

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
online very fast.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides my gate is locked with a dog running the property so a census worker would have no chance getting to my from door.

Back in 2000 a census worker making a visit to a house in south Brewster county was attacked and injured by a pet javelina named Arnold. Evidently the that possibility hadn’t been covered in the training class.

https://www.dallasnews.com/new...enges-census-bureau/

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
online very fast.
I did not time it, but I doubt it took me anywhere near ten minutes.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I got two notices. One telling me to do it online and one had a fill out form. I mailed in the fill out form, took about five minutes.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

One of your comrades came to my door when I failed to return my census, and told me he was turning in my name to the census people for possible prosecution. I remained polite and said, "OK", like that dude on SNL with the whole "Ok" schtick. I don't think he had the intelligence to pick up on the humor of my response. So I hope you have a sense of humor, because if they send you to Para's door, I can't guarantee he will be as funny as I am. Are you really that hard up for a gubmint job ? There ARE other government jobs with more honor. Like engineers, astronauts, roads and highways, honest prosecutors, the list goes on. You DO know that everyone who works in the Census department is somewhere between a part time and full time Marxist, don't you ? Good luck with that.

Your signature line says you are a lover of the US Constitution. You are aware that the census is mandated by the very Constitution that you claim to love, right? From day one the US has taken count, by name, of everyone who lives in every house, cabin, hovel, ect. You act as if it's some new liberal idea to control the masses.

A number of things are listed in the constitution that are under constant attack.

As to the census, I have no intention of filling it out, or even sending it back. Wife got upset when I told her that.

If she fills it out that is her choice. My choice is that the gubbermint has no need to know. Kind of like that part about security, you have to have a need to know. Not just curiosity.

But then she is German. I am one of the original "protesters" since my ancestry leads back to Roger Williams who refused to do something with which he disagreed and started his own colony. Rhode Island.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
online very fast.
I did not time it, but I doubt it took me anywhere near ten minutes.

Same here -- I bet it took less than 5 minutes, including starting up my PC and grabbing a Pepsi.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Did mine this AM - I was waiting for the Johnson question so I had my tape measure all ready. I waited for the Morning to get the best reading -

So disappointed -

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
You are aware that the census is mandated by the very Constitution that you claim to love, right? From day one the US has taken count, by name, of everyone who lives in every house, cabin, hovel, ect.

I agree with this.

For all the gnashing of teeth about Federal overreach, there's an awful lot of gnashing about one of the very few enumerated powers and obligations of the Government.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Back before New Year's I got the super nosy long census form in the mail; you know, the one that - among many other things - wants to know how many $#itters you have in your house? I felt it was important that I reflected long and hard on its many important questions. They kept reminding me with more mail each week to complete it.

I was still reflecting on the answers earlier this week when a plastic US Census bag was hung on my door. Inside was the short form many of the previous posters have alluded to. I completed it in 3 minutes and quickly mailed it using the pre-paid enevelope. The long nosy form and all the reminder cards were disposed of.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it today. Took 3 minutes maybe. Short form. Fewer bullshit questions than I anticipated. Thought about tossing because CA losing a seat or 12 in the House wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The census is little more than a head count.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I filled out ours today. I do not personally have a problem with the 10 year census.

We have been selected twice for the ACS, American Community Survey, which I refuse to comply with, even though it states it is a part of the census, and you are required by law to complete. I offered to go to jail to the first guy who cam to our home, after we did not comply.

Screw the ACS, I would not share that information with my neighbors, and I like them.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I finished mine. They want to know the ethnicity of everybody in the house. It's not enough to check "white". You have to tell them what kind of white.

So, everybody in my house is Whitey Whiterston.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post