SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The Red Tide Trumps the blue wave.

Let's Roll...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Red October Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
The Red Tide Trumps the blue wave.

Let's Roll...

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
No minds have been changed in the production of this made for cable TV reality show.

Who will be voted off the island?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I like to see from members, in a situation such as this, is confidence and defiance. I like for members to bolster each other. Don't be cynical. Instead, be resolute.

Thank you, Para.

Red October, precedes a Red November! Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24120 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
well, well, well

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...o-53-to-decide-vote/

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) signaled in an interview published Thursday that decades-old sexual misconduct allegations against Brett Kavanaugh will not play a major role in his vote on the judge’s Supreme Court confirmation.

Manchin, a key Democrat swing vote, lamented the Senate Judiciary Committee’s handling of its investigation into allegations against Kavanaugh, describing the previous few weeks as “horrible” and a “circus.”

I am looking at the gentleman as an adult from 22 to 53 , thirty-one years of professional service,” Manchin told Al-Jazeera. “I am looking at him as a father. As a person in a community, how he interacts with his community. I am trying to put the human side to it.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

is there a hint in there ? anybody ?

there is a video of Manchin saying that at the link

in the video Manchin says he is looking "for clarity" in the report. At the time of this statement, Manchin had not read the report yet

Manchin knows he is going to be confirmed, so he is trying to save his seat.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

That's what I read into it as well. Great news!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
well, well, well

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...o-53-to-decide-vote/

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) signaled in an interview published Thursday that decades-old sexual misconduct allegations against Brett Kavanaugh will not play a major role in his vote on the judge’s Supreme Court confirmation.

Manchin, a key Democrat swing vote, lamented the Senate Judiciary Committee’s handling of its investigation into allegations against Kavanaugh, describing the previous few weeks as “horrible” and a “circus.”

I am looking at the gentleman as an adult from 22 to 53 , thirty-one years of professional service,” Manchin told Al-Jazeera. “I am looking at him as a father. As a person in a community, how he interacts with his community. I am trying to put the human side to it.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

is there a hint in there ? anybody ?

there is a video of Manchin saying that at the link

in the video Manchin says he is looking "for clarity" in the report. At the time of this statement, Manchin had not read the report yet

If Manchin is going to vote FOR confirmation, he might as well go ahead and change his party affiliation to Republican, as he’ll lose any Dem votes in the Election.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right now, that race is Manchin +8, but Manchin knows it will tighten to within the margin of error if he votes against Kavanaugh.
Nevertheless, he would probably vote with the Dems if it made a difference. He's not our biggest problem in Congress, but it would still be better if the people of W. Va. would defeat him.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24120 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It’s hilarious how everybody frets about polls until the night of the election when we find out what crap most of them are.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Like the way Graham has been acting these last few weeks...nice tip to the Salem witch trials with the "dunk him in the water and see if he floats" shot Smile

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina did not take kindly to a protester who continued to yell about Supreme Court justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh while he was doing an interview at the Capitol. Graham had just reviewed the supplemental FBI report on the investigation into abuse allegations against Kavanaugh, and was briefing reporters on the contents. “150 plus people have been interviewed over a 20-something year period,” Graham stated, “The Brett Kavanaugh that I knew before the committee is the Brett Kavanaugh I know now, the only difference is an effort to ruin this man’s life. I am ready to vote.” Graham turned to walk down the hallway but spun around to give one last comment. A protester appeared behind him and began yelling that Kavanaugh should take a polygraph. “We’ve humiliated this guy enough, and there seems to be no bottom for some of you,” Graham said, turning directly to the protester. The protester cried, “If he took a polygraph –” before Graham interrupted her saying “Why don’t we dunk him in the water and see if he floats?” Graham continued, forcefully: “It will never be enough. If you don’t believe he is a gang rapist, if you don’t believe he is a stumbling, bumbling drunk, serial sexual predator, maybe you will believe he lied about how much he drank in high school. Threw ice at a party. Or he doesn’t have the temperament. Lets vote. I’m more confident than ever.”

Link

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This guy from the Weekly Standard opines that this Flake-caused one week delay actually BACKFIRED on the Democrats.

No wonder they are back to attacking the FBI after spending the last year and a half lecturing us on how "noble" and "righteous" they are.
Roll Eyes

How Jeff Flake's One-Week Delay Helped Clear Brett Kavanaugh's Name

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
This guy from the Weekly Standard opines that this Flake-caused one week delay actually BACKFIRED on the Democrats.
I'm of the same opinion.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
No minds have been changed in the production of this made for cable TV reality show.
While not a "reality" show, this made for cable TV film was released "conveniently" in April 2016, and saw a lot of replay right before the 2016 election, and came from an earlier nomination "circus:"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4608402/

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It had a lot of replay the past two weeks also. I saw it listed a few times.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
It had a lot of replay the past two weeks also. I saw it listed a few times.
I no longer have HBO, so I haven't followed the listings.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Everybody jumps up and down and demands instant satisfaction. Yet if you pay close attention you'll see that most of these drawn out issues play out to our favor.

We see brighter lights on more cockroaches. Sometimes giving people more rope will result in a more prominent neck snapping at the bottom. Let's not deny these types the opportunities to do themselves in.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The DEMs on the Senate Judiciary Comm sent a memo to Grassley on 3 Oct 2018. They were complaining that Grassley had said that there was not a whiff of any sexual behavior or alcohol abuse issues in the 6 prior FBI reports on Brett Kavanaugh.

The letter is BS. But the last 2 sentences are worth a laugh. The DEMs end the ltr with:

"There has long been a tradition of bipartisan cooperation regarding the handling of confidential background information on judicial nominees. We look forward to working with you to restore this bipartisan tradition."

For all those who watched Feinstein's 11th hour dirty trick, that has to bring a WTF moment.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It’s hilarious how everybody frets about polls until the night of the election when we find out what crap most of them are.

Poll evil can be tough to cure.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I posted the same thought last week, to paraphrase Trump, it was a blessing in disguise, telling everyone "sure, let's have the investigation" knowing full well that people caught in the vortex were gonna swirl down the drain.

And this gives Trump an awful lot of material to work with on the campaign trail leading up to November.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The delay may have worked to stem off the latest D delay tactic, and now it's time to end this.

Perhaps part of the screenplay is to keep the nomination open and in play allowing more absurd claims to surface from the D, more cries from the left for something to hurt BK and upset the process from fair to farce, resulting in a negative impact to the D in the election.

You keep running it out as long as you can, then vote him in at the last minute, heck I believe they can still vote him in after the election even if the D retake the senate as they don't seat until Jan.

The more they protest over stupid stuff the more the D look lunatic...

Still, end it, vote him in.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post