SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

"As Sen. Charles E. Schumer pondered the judicial nomination of Brett M. Kavanaugh, the New York Democrat could barely contain his anger. He viewed the choice as “among the most political in history” and could not think of another nominee “more designed to divide us.”
Schumer was not talking about President Trump’s nomination of Kavanaugh to be a Supreme Court justice. It was 2004, and Schumer helped lead the Democrats’ questioning of Kavanaugh to move from the George W. Bush White House to a federal circuit judgeship. Schumer and his Democratic colleagues cast him as an extreme conservative and were so effective that they blocked Kavanaugh’s nomination for three years.
Now, however, as Kavanaugh prepares for his Tuesday confirmation hearing, Democrats are still searching for a strategy that could stop his ascension to the highest court. Schumer said in an interview that his concerns from 2004 “are still the case” and have only grown as a result of Kavanaugh’s judicial rulings for 12 years.

“He has a very nice smile, but an inch below the surface, he is a hard-right warrior,” Schumer said in an interview.
Then, as now, Kavanaugh symbolizes to Democrats how partisanship has overwhelmed the process for judicial nominations. Trump’s selection of him to fill the seat vacated by Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, for whom Kavanaugh once served as a clerk, underscores a long-standing Republican goal to infuse the federal courts with judges who will strictly interpret the Constitution and seal the high court’s conservative direction on issues such as abortion and regulations."

Eat it Chucky, just eat it. If it gets cold, reheat it..
Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
Eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it!
--- apologies to Weird Al Yankovich

I did not know this. Ha! This may have been the intangible that pushed Kavanaugh to the top of Trump’s list. The list has unquestionably very well qualified folks..... how to pick?

“This one drives Schumer nuts.” Ok, then!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
“This one drives Schumer nuts.”

Sounds exactly like something President Trump would do! Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39265 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

No shit, dumbfuck. Welcome to 2016....you're a little late Roll Eyes

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6897 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
"As Sen. Charles E. Schumer pondered the judicial nomination of Brett M. Kavanaugh, the New York Democrat could barely contain his anger. He viewed the choice as “among the most political in history” and could not think of another nominee “more designed to divide us.”
Schumer was not talking about President Trump’s nomination of Kavanaugh to be a Supreme Court justice. It was 2004, and Schumer helped lead the Democrats’ questioning of Kavanaugh to move from the George W. Bush White House to a federal circuit judgeship. Schumer and his Democratic colleagues cast him as an extreme conservative and were so effective that they blocked Kavanaugh’s nomination for three years.
Now, however, as Kavanaugh prepares for his Tuesday confirmation hearing, Democrats are still searching for a strategy that could stop his ascension to the highest court. Schumer said in an interview that his concerns from 2004 “are still the case” and have only grown as a result of Kavanaugh’s judicial rulings for 12 years.

“He has a very nice smile, but an inch below the surface, he is a hard-right warrior,” Schumer said in an interview.
Then, as now, Kavanaugh symbolizes to Democrats how partisanship has overwhelmed the process for judicial nominations. Trump’s selection of him to fill the seat vacated by Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, for whom Kavanaugh once served as a clerk, underscores a long-standing Republican goal to infuse the federal courts with judges who will strictly interpret the Constitution and seal the high court’s conservative direction on issues such as abortion and regulations."

I find this most interesting - probably telling from a psychological perspective of dementia as well but does Schumer realize that what he just described was himself in a mirror?

he is one of the most partisan, hypocritical hacks ever to walk the face of the planet, and he has the balls to call Kavanaugh a right-wing warrior

what a delusional twunt

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53809 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So how is the next nomination going to be different, to avoid all this Dem smearing of candidates?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11468 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I don't the the dims will pull this shit again for some time. The cost is going to be too high, and for no actual gain. Quite the opposite. They've fucked themselves. I think they'll think twice before pulling this shit again.

Now, the rampant cynicism that's seized upon us dictates someone will say that that's completely wrong, but I don't think so. I think they're gonna be shy about sticking their tit back in the wringer next time.

Should President Trump nominate a woman next time? Sure, if the most qualified candidate happens to be a woman. Otherwise, no.

Posts: 109097 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
quote:

I find this most interesting - probably telling from a psychological perspective of dementia as well but does Schumer realize that what he just described was himself in a mirror?

he is one of the most partisan, hypocritical hacks ever to walk the face of the planet, and he has the balls to call Kavanaugh a right-wing warrior

what a delusional twunt

I would love to see just once some intrepid reporter ask Schumer if he felt that Ginsburg or Sotmayor were hard left warriors, and if he was OK with that.

He would either have to lie and say they are moderates who call them as they see them or admit that he is a hypocrite. Which is it, Chuckie??? Oh, don't bother...we already know. You're a lying hypocrite.

Posts: 6083 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
So how is the next nomination going to be different, to avoid all this Dem smearing of candidates?

Let's add five or six solid R (not RINO) senators on 11/6 and pick a good nominee. Public rebuke at the ballot box of Democrats who participated in this debacle will be the best method of teaching them to do their job of advising and consenting rather than what they've done here.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2164 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Frankly, I don't the the dims will pull this shit again for some time. The cost is going to be too high, and for no actual gain. Quite the opposite. They've fucked themselves. I think they'll think twice before pulling this shit again.

I, for one, am not willing to underestimate the stupidity of politicians... especially the Democrat variety.

They may think twice, but there is only one page in their playbook.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yep, pick up a few more Senate seats, and the maggots won't pull this shit again for a long long time.

Q

Posts: 27567 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Times are a chaingin’ aint they... It almost seems that Trumps caricature of Ford the other night actually helped the cause, despite the MSM’s immediate pounce on it. Pick up a few more seats in November, then wait for Ruth Buzzy to move along. Then find another Constitutionalist to appoint.

Then start taking this Great Nation back a step at a time.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:

I say pick that women he had on the list... Razz

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3644 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So with Heitkamp a No, what will the vote be 50-50, with Pence breaking the tie, this presumes Flake, Collins and Murkowski follow through since the Additional Investigation reveals nothing? Or will the weasels like Manchin vote Yes once the tally hits 50-51?

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1549 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Can we please just wait for the vote?

Posts: 109097 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Now, the rampant cynicism that's seized upon us dictates someone will say that that's completely wrong, but I don't think so. I think they're gonna be shy about sticking their tit back in the wringer next time.

Should President Trump nominate a woman next time? Sure, if the most qualified candidate happens to be a woman. Otherwise, no.

You are probably right, but they are spoiled children who throw a hissy fit if they don't get their way. I'm not sure they can help themselves.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That's the kernel of joy in the prediction. If there's another nomination and the Dems make a big production out of opposing the nominee, they may just be shocked at the utter indifference they encounter. Nothing could make them look more helpless (and therefore a waste of time from a voter's perspective) than their being utterly blown away by their own fecklessness.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Charge Ford with perjury. Under oath, she said that she hadn’t coached anyone about polygraph tests. Her ex B.F. said that she’d coached Monica McLean.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9452 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

Charge Ford with perjury. Under oath, she said that she hadn’t coached anyone about polygraph tests. Her ex B.F. said that she’d coached Monica McLean.

So?

Contradiction, by itself, isn’t going to support a perjury charge. Just about every case results from factual disputes between the parties.

Light was green, light was red....

As one judge said years ago, “perjury is the lubricant of the judicial system.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
CSPAN saying vote to limit debate will be tomorrow morning

Final vote possible Saturday

I finally figured out that CSPAN puts the "Live" notice in the upper right corner.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Times are a chaingin’ aint they... It almost seems that Trumps caricature of Ford the other night actually helped the cause, despite the MSM’s immediate pounce on it. Pick up a few more seats in November, then wait for Ruth Buzzy to move along. Then find another Constitutionalist to appoint.
Rather than hope RBG retires, or dies, I would rather see Justice Thomas retire, while the Republicans hold a majority in the Senate, to guarantee another Justice that believes in the original meaning of the Constitution can be appointed. That would put three Justices (Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and a player to be named later) who believe in the original meaning doctrine would be around for decades. I am a big fan of Thomas, but he's just entered his 70s, and getting someone in their late 40s or early 50s now would be a good move.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post