SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
It does appear that a whole lot of people have suddenly got “woke” (to use that stupid nonword) and discovered they are the “deplorables” the dems hate so much.
Thank you, Senators Grassley, Graham, and McConnell.
Thank you, Judge.
And of course thank you, Mr. President.

Posts: 18180 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Bk will hold no animus toward leftists in his job - to them he already does, by following the US Constitution.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
At this point, to be honest, I don't give a f*ck if Justice Kavanaugh will be biased against libtards in SCOTUS.
I care about any potential bias. Judges should follow the Constitution and the law as written, based on the original meaning, not original intent. If a judge can't do that, regardless of what happened to them personally, they have no place on the bench. Judges are supposed to follow the law, not drive outcomes, and certainly not supposed to drive an outcome out of personal bias.

Yep just rechecked - still no f*ck to give.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go Schummie and Finesteine, double down on stupid! 7 FBI B/I isn’t good enough for you dumbasses. Keep it up!

Posts: 3963 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
When this thread was started, one month ago today, how little we all knew how accurate the thread title would be:
quote:
The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....

Thank you, Bigboreshooter. Get well!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24275 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Way to go Schummie and Finesteine, double down on stupid! 7 FBI B/I isn’t good enough for you dumbasses. Keep it up!

You ain't kidding. Said the WH tied the FBI's hands. The President will have a field day after what I just watched.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
At this point, to be honest, I don't give a f*ck if Justice Kavanaugh will be biased against libtards in SCOTUS.
I care about any potential bias. Judges should follow the Constitution and the law as written, based on the original meaning, not original intent. If a judge can't do that, regardless of what happened to them personally, they have no place on the bench. Judges are supposed to follow the law, not drive outcomes, and certainly not supposed to drive an outcome out of personal bias.

Yep just rechecked - still no f*ck to give.
Thanks for showing you are among those people (both "left" and "right") who don't care about the actual meaning of the Constitution and the laws, and think that they can/should be manipulated to avoid the processes laid out in the Constitution to change the Constitution and the law. That attitude of yours is dangerous to the liberties the Constitution is intended to protect.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:

Of course it isn't, they never were interested in any investigation to begin with.

Nope, all they want is to drag this out past November 6th where they actually think they will be picking up Senate seats? I think they will LOSE seats over this whole thing!

Posts: 34074 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Ramirez was the second accuser (she was from Yale)

The summary:

Just before she fingered Kavanaugh, Ramirez was telling classmates she could not be certain it was Kavanaugh.

Ramirez admits her drinking that night clouded her memory.

Only after six days of talking to her attorney, a Democrat politician, was Ramirez able to remember it was Kavanaugh.

Every single one of Ramirez’s so-called witnesses sides with Kavanaugh.

The only so-called corroboration Ramirez had was a guy who heard about the incident from someone else.

That someone else says he has no memory of the incident.

Ramirez is a Democrat activist

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...avanaugh-allegation/

Flake and Collins just had to hear from this accuser

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for showing you are among those people (both "left" and "right") who don't care about the actual meaning of the Constitution and the laws, and think that they can/should be manipulated to avoid the processes laid out in the Constitution to change the Constitution and the law. That attitude of yours is dangerous to the liberties the Constitution is intended to protect.

Uh huh yeah preach on Roll Eyes

The Constitution had been and continue to be perverted to fit with the left's agenda and interpretation. Originalist bias in interpretation will bring it back to its true meaning.

It is interpretation after all, to apply the founders' intentions and meanings to today's issues. Interpretation leaves room for bias.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
get a room you two. Nobody cares about your beef.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flake and Collins just had to hear from this accuser

I think Collins is legit and just wants to cover all the bases. Flake has his own motivations, and they are all about whatever benefits Flake, not his constituents, and certainly not his Party.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24275 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think Flake is a lost cause, he's been trying way too hard to suck up to these Democrats to be a yes vote by this weekend.

What I do think we will get is a couple of yes votes from Democrats, so Flakey Flake won't even matter. Run along you little pissant and get your job at MSNBC and go away. Mad

Posts: 34074 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Woody Guthrie: The Dems are so transparent, you can read a newspaper right through ‘em.

Posts: 13381 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Weekly Standard

An ugly, dishonest and ever-changing attack on Brett Kavanaugh and the nomination process.
Since the summer of 1987, when Judge Robert Bork was publicly defamed by such Democratic luminaries as Ted Kennedy and Joe Biden, confirmation hearings for the Supreme Court have become increasingly full of sanctimony and cant. Hostile senators ask questions to which there can be no good answer; nominees respond obligingly with anodyne rhetoric and evasion.

Republicans are not blameless in this sad progression, but it is chiefly the result of the Democratic understanding of the judiciary. The court, in that understanding, is a political institution; it is empowered, just as Congress and the presidency are empowered, to deliver policy results. And so Democrats treat seats on the federal judiciary, and especially those on the high court, as a though they were elective offices—positions of power for which they are willing to play dirty.

The unlovely consequences of this outlook are fully upon us. From the moment Judge Brett Kavanaugh was nominated, the preponderance of Democratic senators openly asserted their opposition to him. He was a conservative, and they were against him. Cory Booker and a few others announced their opposition before Kavanaugh was even nominated. Many senators refused even to meet with the nominee before the hearings. Democratic minority leader Chuck Schumer announced that he would “oppose him with everything I’ve got.”

We remember the Bork hearings, in which a distinguished jurist was portrayed as a bigot and a monster; the Clarence Thomas hearings, in which Democrats marshalled sickening and unsubstantiated allegations in an effort to keep a black conservative from the court; and the Samuel Alito hearings, in which Democrats shamelessly tried to impute racism to a wholly decent man. Even so, we were unprepared for the grand spectacle of bad faith and mendacity to which Democrats have subjected Brett Kavanaugh.

Leave aside Christine Blasey Ford’s allegation that Kavanaugh tried to rape her 36 years ago. Leave aside, too, the cynical way in which she was manipulated by her attorneys and Senate Democrats. Her claims include a number of gaps and inconsistencies and utterly lack corroboration. Their truth is ultimately unknowable and, for many Democrats, irrelevant. Their primary interest is lengthening the nomination process. Feinstein and company don’t care if Brett Kavanaugh was a sot in the 1980s, any more than they cared 20 years ago if Bill Clinton was a serial sexual abuser. The point is to stretch the process out—to filibuster without the power to filibuster.

That is why, from the start of Kavanaugh’s nomination, Senate Democrats have made one impossible demand after another. Even before the hearings began, they demanded to see tens of thousands of documents related to Kavanaugh’s time as staff secretary in the George W. Bush White House—as if this classified paperwork were somehow more relevant to Kavanaugh’s qualifications as a judge than his hundreds of publicly available legal opinions. The hearings, Democrats argued, ought to be delayed by weeks in order for them to examine these allegedly crucial documents.

New Jersey’s Cory Booker gave away the game when he complained he’d been denied authority to release some of these documents and did so anyway. It was his “ I am Spartacus moment,” he said. In fact he had been cleared to release them the night before, but he didn’t care what the documents revealed and he didn’t want the authority to release them. They were only useful insofar as they occasioned a dramatic demand for more time.

Once the sexual misconduct allegations were leaked to the media, Democrats issued more demands for time. There had to be another hearing, one involving Kavanaugh and his accuser. When Republicans agreed to this request, Democrats made new ones. They urged Ford and her attorneys to make evolving demands on the timing of her testimony in an obvious ploy to lengthen the process.

Before, during, and after the hearing, Senate Democrats insisted that the FBI investigate Ford’s claims. After the investigation was granted, they sent a letter to the FBI and White House counsel Don McGahn demanding that the bureau interview, “at a minimum,” 24 specific people—including people connected to allegations brought by Deborah Ramirez, whose story the New York Times could not corroborate despite exhaustive efforts, and Julie Swetnick, who has since walked back key components of her allegation and gives every appearance of being a fraud.

What’s important, for Democrats, is not that the FBI discovers anything untoward about Brett Kavanaugh. We assume they are smart enough to know that these claims are either unprovable or slanderous. What they care about is holding off a Senate floor vote on Kavanaugh long enough to take back the Senate, and then stonewalling the administration’s judicial nominees for another two years. Ford, Ramirez, and Swetnick are useful tools to achieve that end. Kavanaugh himself is just collateral damage.

The unhappy truth is that Democrats’ specific objections to Kavanaugh were always irrelevant. They were irrelevant because they were asserted in bad faith. Democrats know full well that neither he nor any other nominee can or should detail his views on the merits of Roe v. Wade. They know Kavanaugh cannot and should not say how he’d rule in cases involving an indictment of the president. They don’t care if he drank too much as a teenager. They don’t care what “Devil’s Triangle” or “boofing” refer to. Nor do they believe, as they claim to, that a man who responds emotionally to the suggestion that he’s a serial rapist thereby disqualifies himself from the Supreme Court.

Since June 9, Democrats have cared primarily about one thing: November 6, 2018. Our hope is that voters will not reward their cynicism.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The article above is from the Weekly Standard editors.

Bill Kristol is editor at large of the Weekly Standard. He started the Weekly Standard in 1995. Kristol hates the President. He has had to step back a bit because his neverTrump attitude wasn't playing very well. Still significant that even Kristol's rag recognizes what is going on.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
NPR Tweet date-stamped 8:48 AM - 4 Oct 2018:
quote:

JUST IN: GOP Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Jeff Flake of Arizona have each weighed in, telling reporters the FBI supplemental inquiry on Brett Kavanaugh was “thorough."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/s...claims-in-fbi-report

Sen. Jeff Flake (Ariz.), a key swing Republican vote, said Thursday that a new FBI report on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has failed to corroborate Christine Blasey Ford's allegation of sexual assault against him.

Flake said there was nothing at all in the FBI’s supplementary background check to corroborate the claims from Ford that threw Kavanaugh’s nomination into turmoil starting last month.

The Arizona Republican said he agrees with fellow GOP Sen. Susan Collins (Maine) in viewing the FBI report as thorough and failing to back up Ford’s claims.

“I think Susan Collins was quoted saying it was very thorough but no new corroborative information came out of it. That’s accurate,” Flake told reporters after reviewing the FBI report in the secure compartmented information facility in the Capitol Visitor Center.

“I wanted this pause, we’ve had this pause. We’ve had the professionals, the FBI, determine — given the scope that we gave them, current credible allegations — to go and do their review which they’ve done,” Flake said.

“Thus far we’ve seen no new credible corroboration, no new corroboration at all,” he said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

very good sign

he still uses the term "we gave them, current credible allegations"

but hard to imagine Flake not being a yes given his overall statement

This FBI report is for 3 people - Flake, Collins, and Murkowski

If all of the REP senators vote to confirm, the pressure will be great on several of the DEM senators up for election in November. If they don't vote yes on Kavanaugh, they reap the fury of Trump supporters in their state.

If they do vote yes, the confirmation becomes bipartisan and it makes it much more difficult for the DEMs to keep attacking on this.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This FBI report is for 3 people - Flake, Collins, and Murkowski

Yep. It's a done deal. Vote!

-rduckwor

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Flake is still trying to be relevant. I think he knows his vote no longer matters.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4936 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post