SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
There is an irony in the posted call to come to the meeting and voice one's opinion... it says:

"state our full opposition to any more gun control that affects law-abiding gun owners."

well, it sure seems to me if the proposed laws are passed then all these folks complaining will then no longer be law-abiding gun owners. Right there is the hypocrisy ... which I've seen all along with the NRA's argument that we don't need any new gun laws just enforce ones we have now.... a war has never been won by just staying on the defensive.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Here is a clip of Daniel Gade that I was unable to post last night.

Daniel Gade

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Made national news.

Gun control standoff heats up in Virginia as 'sanctuaries' grow, big votes loom

Fox News

A battle over gun control in Virginia with national implications is heating up as the legislature prepares to vote on sweeping new restrictions and localities band together to defy them in growing numbers.

Virginians turned out to debate the measures and other issues at public budget hearings on Thursday, less than a week before the General Assembly's first legislative session of 2020. Both the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) and Gun Owners of America specifically warned about Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam's related budget proposal, which directs $250,000 for the Department of Corrections to incarcerate people as a result of new restrictions.

Another measure included over $4 million and 18 "authorized positions" — part of an apparent team that Second Amendment groups warn could be used to enforce an assault weapons ban. The new General Assembly is expected to vote on two bills in particular – SB 18 and SB 16 – which would ban assault weapons, raise the minimum age of purchase to 21 and require background checks for any firearms transfer.

In the run-up to the session and following state elections in November, a defiant protest movement has taken shape that could influence similar movements in other states. More than 100 cities, towns and counties have passed "sanctuary" resolutions meant to flout an assault weapons ban and other proposals.

According to local outlets, activists on both sides of the debate raised concerns during a hearing in Suffolk.

A public session in Suffolk today shows the political divide coming up in the start of the General Assembly Session Wednesday. Tonight beginning at four the concerns residents have on the Governor’s proposed budget.

“This is not about gun safety, public safety, or whatever you want to call it,” one speaker said, according to WTKR. “It’s about control of people based solely on a radical, political, extremist agenda." The meeting in Suffolk was "packed," according to WAVY, and included at least 100 speakers — although it's unclear how many spoke about gun control.

Moms Demand Action, a pro-gun control group, pushed gun safety provisions. “We know that, as it has been proven, gun safety laws save lives,” a representative from the group reportedly said.

Other meetings took place in Manassas, Richmond, and Blacksburg on Thursday.

"We must be focused on making it more difficult for criminals to access firearms and addressing the behavior behind these instances of mass violence instead of infringing our American constitutional rights," Rep. Rob Wittman, R-Va., told Fox News on Thursday.

"I am against the current laws put forth by the General Assembly to restrict firearm purchases and I will remain committed to preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals to purchase, possess, and use firearms.”

Yet Northam's attorney general, Mark Herring, already rejected the notion that local resolutions would have any legal effect. "It is my opinion that these resolutions have no legal effect," he said in an advisory opinion from Dec. 20.

"It is my further opinion that localities and local constitutional officers cannot nullify state laws and must comply with gun violence prevention measures that the General Assembly may enact."

Nearly a week later, the VCDL issued a memo denouncing Herring's opinion.

"This radical view is demonstrably false, and ignores the significance of the fact that local officials are required by law to take an oath to support the federal and state constitutions above the laws enacted by the General Assembly," the group said in a memo dated Dec. 26.

The memo framed sanctuary resolutions as attempts to avoid conflict, but again warned that localities wouldn't cooperate if the General Assembly implemented the new restrictions.

"However, Second Amendment Sanctuary Resolutions announce that, should the government in Richmond act lawlessly, then local officials and the People they represent will not cooperate and may take steps to actively resist," it read.

Neither the governor's office nor the attorney general's responded to Fox News' request for comment. Gov. Northam struggled to push gun control through the previous General Assembly and has faced political backlash over his infamous blackface photo controversy. However, as the political establishment seemed to move past the matter, it appeared as though Democrats were united on gun control before the 2020 session.

The debate could refocus 2020 races even more on the Second Amendment as the sanctuary movement gains traction in the state. One gun store reported a 200 percent increase in sales after Democrats won the legislature last year — a trend that many stores have historically seen with the prospect of new gun restrictions.

VCDL claimed that Thursday's meetings, along with other local gatherings on the issue, saw substantial attendance. It's unclear how many of the attendees were reacting to the gun control measures.

Virginia Democrats like Rep. Abigail Spanberger could feel the heat from voters as the GA activity fuels ever more sanctuary resolutions. As recently as the end of December, Fauquier County approved a measure opposing gun control legislation.

According to a map from VCDL, much of Spanberger's district has already approved those measures. “Rep. Spanberger is committed to protecting and upholding all of our constitutional rights, including our Second Amendment rights," a Spanberger spokesperson told Fox News on Thursday.

"She is also committed to protecting the safety of families, children, and law enforcement officers across Central Virginia and the country — and therefore supports common-sense, gun violence prevention measures at the federal level, such as the bipartisan background checks legislation she helped pass earlier this year."

Spanberger's office appeared to address potential conflicts between the state and localities, saying: "As a former law enforcement officer, Rep. Spanberger believes firmly in the rule of law — and as there are legal and jurisdictional challenges that may arise from the intended designation of special status zones in a Dillon Rule state such as Virginia, she will continue to engage with her constituents and closely observe the efforts of the localities she represents.”

The Dillon Rule refers to guidelines governing the relationship between state and local governments.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It is my further opinion that localities and local constitutional officers cannot nullify state laws and must comply with gun violence prevention measures that the General Assembly may enact."

This is the hypocrisy exhibited by none other than the Fairfax County Commonwealth Attorney, under Northam's tacit approval, to ignore state laws regarding marijuana possession and use, as well as shoplifting and other laws that are on the books.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Fairfax Delegation to the Assembly is meeting today to discuss the upcoming session and legislative goals. I got word of it after dinner last night; but at least fired off e-mails to my delegate and Senator. I hope they are met with lots of voices at the meeting opposing the measures loudly, and when they retire to their offices are greeted by a far greater number of e-mails.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I had to work today. So I DVR'd the Fairfax meeting. when I got back from work, I went through 4 hours of shit none of us would ever want to see. I thank the VCDL members that were able to attend the hearing.

Seems Fairfax has changed much more than I had ever thought it did. Been here for 30 years. I had to pour a tall drink while watching.

Some examples of most speakers that discuss climate change, redistricting, racial equality, etc...

Then almost at the very end, this MAN steps in. Applause when he stepped up, during his speech, and especially after he was done. Vincent, we all owe you a beer. Well done, Sir. After Vincent finished his speech and the applause was interfering with the next speaker, Saslaw (Sanslaw) started arguing with the crowd. Was getting a little feisty for a minute. Saslaw lied about jailing anyone who had legally purchased their gun. Must have been a good VCDL showing. THANK YOU!

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I went to the Loudounn County meeting today, but got there about half way through.

I would guess about 90% of the crowd was pro 2A. Several great speakers, young, military officers, and people escaping despot rule in other countries.

I was told while walking to the meeting, by several pro people, the committee told everybody to put their hands up to show approval instead of clapping. A few people clapped after I arrived and I joined in. About 30 minutes later the committee leader told us clapping was using up valuable time so we shouldn't clap. It seemed to me the clapping increased after that. Fuck you, you leftist bitch!

I'm sure the committee had already made up their minds, but the pro people made a good showing. The room was at capacity with standing room only left.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
NRA Promises ‘Strong Presence’ to Block Virginia Gun Bans

Richmond Virginia capitol buildingGetty Images
Stephen Gutowski - JANUARY 4, 2020 5:00 AM

The National Rifle Association said Thursday it will work with gun owners to swamp the first hearing of the Virginia Senate committee considering new gun bans in an effort to beat back the gun-control proposals from Governor Ralph Northam (D.).

NRA spokeswoman Catherine Mortensen told the Washington Free Beacon that the gun-rights group is mobilizing its members to appear at the first meeting of the Virginia Senate's Courts of Justice on Jan. 13. The organization hopes that pressure from constituents will make newly elected Democrats, who helped the party capture control of the state legislature, think twice about supporting gun bans pursued by the state's Democratic governor. Those new Democrats, who were silent on gun bans during the election, hold the key to how far the two-vote Democratic majority in the state Senate and the five-vote majority in the House of Delegates go with new gun laws.

If gun-rights supporters can convince just a handful of Democrats to oppose a new gun-control measure, it will not become law. Mortensen said the Courts of Justice committee is the first stop for those new gun-control proposals, and gun owners in the state need to show their opposition to those bills face-to-face.

"That's the first committee of jurisdiction on all the Northam gun control," Mortensen told the Free Beacon. "We want to make sure that our members and supporters are in Richmond at that committee hearing on that day so that their voices are heard. It's critical that our members are there early in the session to make the biggest impact in order to stop these gun bills from moving forward."

The lobbying effort will be the culmination of early-stage efforts by the gun-rights group to motivate its supporters in Virginia. The NRA will hold town halls throughout the state this weekend and is sending representatives to the Richmond gun show, which is held on Saturday and Sunday. It will also hold a press conference with supportive legislators Jan. 13. Mortensen said the lobbying effort is part of a strategy to resist gun-control bills from the earliest possible point until the legislature adjourns in March.

"The NRA is focused on encouraging our members and supporters to be active and engaged with their legislators from the first day of the session to the last," Mortensen said. "The NRA will have a strong presence at the Capitol throughout the legislative session but we know it's the voice and the presence of our members that carry the most weight with lawmakers."

The NRA's efforts at the Courts of Justice will be the first organized gun-rights event after the legislature is sworn in on Jan. 8 and the first in the wake of more than 90 percent of Virginia counties adopting Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions. Gun-rights supporters are hoping to harness the grassroots turnout seen at local government meetings into lobbying efforts at the statehouse. A week after the NRA lobby event, the Virginia Citizens Defense League will hold a rally at the statehouse with 10,000 or more gun-rights supporters expected to attend.

Mortensen said the NRA has thus far been encouraged by the grassroots efforts of gun owners.

"We know that NRA members are active and engaged in grassroots activism," she said. "And they may be members of several different groups. This gives them additional opportunities to engage in grassroots activism and that is all positive. The more people out there and sharing the message, that's a win."

https://freebeacon.com/issues/...k-virginia-gun-bans/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I'm just gonna leave this here.

Accidental hot mike in Fairfax County Public Hearing.

"These people are crazy", "Yea, they're like little kids. As long as we don't reply we'll get through this."

Link

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Speaking of "crazy", I'm going to suggest to my reps when they reply to my e-mails that perhaps many lives would be saved if the staff and funding being requested by the Governor for this effort was put into suicide and mental health intervention programs. No rights restricted, fewer deaths and perhaps mass tragedies prevented. Win win for the Commonwealth.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
FUCK Saslaw! Worthless POS.

On a brighter note the poll in this article made me smile. Add your vote, only at 97% currently.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

NRA Promises ‘Strong Presence’ to Block Virginia Gun Bans

Well, it's about bloody time!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Saslaw is a bought and paid for puppet of Bloomberg. He’s an elitist scumbag that knows what’s best for all us filthy knuckle dragging peasants. Mad

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Michael Bloomberg said this about the recent church shooting:

“But it’s the job of law enforcement to have guns and decide when to shoot. We just do not want the average citizen carrying a gun in a crowded place”

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/...americans-have-guns/

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bloomberg. He’s an elitist scumbag

(Creatively clipped, but it fits.)

- - - - -

On a different note, I was wondering this morning if West Virginia or other neighboring states have organizations like VCDL, and could Virginia gun owners get some support from those organizations, particularly with legislator-contacting and on Lobby Day?

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
10-7 LEO

1. thanks for posting the Gade video. I am supporting his campaign

2. The lawyer does say that REPs turned out higher than DEMs, but I do not think that is true

I went to the data for the election results for 2019 across all 100 VA House seat
The total votes for all 100 were:

REP 1,002,316
DEM 1,197,778

BUT if you threw out all races where either the REP or the DEM count was 0, then the totals were

REP 866,533
DEM 745,798

In about 25% of the races, there was no REP candidate. In a much smaller number of races, there was no DEM candidate.

So for cases where there was both a REP and DEM candidate, the total REP vote was higher.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
^ Thanks for posting this sdy. I for one am getting pretty burnt on hearing the same old "Republicans didn't vote" drum beat. My candidate for state senate won with over 72% of the vote. My delegate won with over 73%. Neither ran unopposed.

Frankly at this point it doesn't matter. Pointing fingers and going tsk tsk (not directed at you sdy) doesn't help even an iota. I got off my ass and voted, as did a whole hell of a lot of folks. Now I have to get off my ass and continue to make my voice heard, not just in my 2A sanctuary county but in Richmond....as does every one else this impacts.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
You may have your own favorite candidate for the REP senate race. Pls get behind that person and let's start the battle against Mark Warner now.

Here is the person I am supporting:

https://www.newsvirginian.com/...3b-97d54492d9f6.html

Army veteran seeking to challenge Sen. Mark Warner visits Staunton

STAUNTON — Daniel Gade admittedly likes to fight, and now the retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel is fighting for the Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Democrat Mark Warner.

Gade made multiple stops along the Shenandoah Valley this week for a series of meet and greets with constituents. The 44-year-old from Northern Virginia announced his campaign in August and made an appearance at Mrs. Rowe’s restaurant in Staunton on Friday to meet with residents.

“I view this as an extension of my 25 years of military service,” said Gade, an Army veteran who lost a leg in Iraq. “Our campaign motto is ‘same oath, new mission’ because the oath that an army office swears is the same oath that a senator swears, which is to defend and support the Constitution of the United States.”

“I intend to spend a lot of time here in this district,” he added. “A lot of politicians forget about the folks out here. I think it’s critically important that everybody be represented and my goal is to represent everybody.”

Gade tackled questions from the community on the Second Amendment, term limits and defeating incumbent Warner in 2020.

Warner first won election in 2008 over former governor Jim Gilmore. In 2014, Warner narrowly defeated Ed Gillespie, former chairman of the Republican National Committee. He’s seeking his third term in 2020.

“What Virginians need to know about Mark Warner is that he’s a liar. He pretends to be moderate in Virginia and then he goes to D.C. and votes with his party, so his voting record is basically [New York Senator] Chuck Schumer’s voting record,” Gade said. “Over time, he has fallen into the trap that so many people do. In 2014, he used to call Ed Gillespie a swamp creature all the time on the debate stage, but the truth is that Mark Warner is the swamp creature.”

Gade told the nearly dozen community members in attendance that Warner is a “gun-grabber,” but that if elected he will preserve the Second Amendment. He noted that guns are “only as dangerous as its operator.”

“This is not about guns, this is about the role of government in our lives,” Gade said. “We need to make the linkage between mental health and the background check system stronger, no question about it. We need to be alert to the fact that there are people around us who are suffering and we need to get them the help they need as early as possible so that they don’t kill themselves or kill somebody else. But the idea that is percolating on the political left is not a good idea and its unconstitutional, and I think people are finally waking up to that.”

Community members also asked Gade if he supported term limits. He said he pledged to a two-term limit — but that the problem with term limits is stripping away citizen’s rights to choose their representatives.

“I’m a career servant, and I serve the Constitution and I serve my fellow man. I’m not a politician, so if they like what they see in D.C., send back a politician,” Gade said. “If they want something new, then send a servant which is what the Constitution is written to do.”

The Republican primary will be held on June 9, 2020. Since the filing deadline is March 26, the Virginia Department of Elections does not yet have an official list of qualified candidates. However, at least four others have also announced their intent to run for the Republican nomination — Alissa Baldwin, a Nottoway County Public School teacher; Omari Faulkner, a Navy reservist; Thomas Speciale, a U.S. Army veteran and intelligence officer; and Victor Williams, an attorney and activist.

Although this is his first campaign, Gade called himself the clear front runner based on “dollars raised, biography, education and training” and said he feels confident he’ll receive the party’s nomination come June.

“I like fighting,” he said. “I am a fighter, and I’m excited about the fact that this fight is one that can be won.”

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Add Clarke County to the list of sanctuaries. 117 now.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"Virginia moves to ban privately owned indoor shooting ranges"

https://www.mom-at-arms.com/po...door-shooting-ranges

I cannot copy and paste the text.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post