SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's a fair point.
We have yet to hear from the Virginia GOP saying, "hey, we're going to fight this."

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
My posting this will bump the thread, which I think is a good thing, because we need to keep our attention on this. But the reason for this post is the following: There is an article which lays out in logic and numbers, the problems with Herr Northam's agenda and plans for SB-16. It's about a twelve minute read here: https://opensourcedefense.org/...nia-gun-control-bill

A strong point it makes is that Governor KKK's legislation (yes I know, he didn't propose it. But he'll sign it) is unfairly biased against people of color, as enforcement (shown by maps and using numbers) will occur in predominantly black communities. Another possible affect of this legislation is, as the author states,
quote:
Open Source Defense:
It’s clear that this bill will not end up being a statewide ban on this class of firearms, but specifically a ban on them within a small number of non-sanctuary municipalities, with a state-wide ban on sale. This means all sales will become peer-to-peer, with no NICS background check. And turning the entire Commonwealth into one giant “gun show loophole” is probably not what the bill’s authors intended.

Worth a few minutes of your time to read!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion.

Virginians can play the long game as well.

Whereas they may not be able to stop these laws, they can mount the challenge for each and every one of these, based on being unconstitutional measures, state or federal. Not any law as a whole, but for each piece.

I think that many here would agree how ridiculous this is.

And hopefully, won't provide for any means of picking off the new 'criminals', one by one.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
This is a repeat message from me, but it is really important.

We get to send a big message in a little over 10 months. Nov 2020 elections. Start now to get your friends ready to vote.

Of course at the top of the list is Donald Trump.

7 of the 11 Virginia members of the U.S. House of Representatives are DEMs

2nd District DEM Elaine Luria (only been in office 1 year)

3rd district DEM Bobby Scott

4th District DEM Donald McEachin (in office 3 years)

7th District DEM Abigail Spanberger (in office 1 year)

8th District DEM Donald Beyer (in office 5 years)

10th District DEM Jennifer Wexton (in office 1 year)

11th District DEM Gerald Connolly

some of these DEM newcomers might be voted out.

As previously noted, I am supporting Daniel Gade for Virginia U.S. senator. Gade has formally declared support for the 2A Sanction Resolutions. His campaign contacted some of the Board of Supervisors and asked them to vote for the 2A resolutions. W the right momentum we could bring down Mark Warner.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this thread keeps getting bumped to the top of the stack, both selfishly and large-scale.

An important thing to keep in mind, though, is just what sdy has said -- we have to get out the vote. Frankly, it's on our shoulders. I'm grateful that SF allows us this space to gripe and complain amongst ourselves, but it's just as important that we gripe and complain to the right people. Call, email, write, visit your local legislators. If they don't hear from us, they'll just [perhaps legitimately] claim they didn't heat anyone opposing the new laws. We MUST be contacting the people who currently hold the big chairs, frequently and routinely. If we don't let these rats know -- personally, individually, and frequently -- that We The People of Virginia are not happy with this, we'll likely not get a second chance. Now is the time, gents and ladies. NOW is the time.

I had a nice talk with a local gunsmith today about the perceived lack of support from Delegate Rush. The 'smith, I learned, knows Rush personally. He said, "I'll get in touch with him." That's the kind of face-to-face support we have to spread. Let's keep this momentum going, friends.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just to give you an idea of what I have to deal with with my BoS. This is not my supervisor, but one in adjacent precinct that I wrote regarding the 2A status of my county. The POS RINO Matt Letourneau didn't even bother replying to me. He's a worthless coward who doesn't deserve to be in office, same with the other R's on the board. If we can't get a resolution even affirming the Bill of Rights with a R majority, I can't wait to see what happens when the board goes 6-3 D, including a world famous bicyclist that flipped off PDJT..

quote:
Other Second Amendment Issues

There has been quite a bit of passionate discussion about the Second Amendment in general since the election. Some counties in Virginia have declared themselves "sanctuary counties" while others have passed other resolutions. Loudoun County has not taken any action, and I'll discuss my thoughts on all of that here.

The impetus for this controversy is the fact that hundreds of bills dealing with guns have been pre-filed in the General Assembly. A pre-filed bill does not mean that an actual bill will exist, and obviously there is a whole legislative process to pass a bill. Nonetheless, some of these pre-filed bills are quite obviously intended to push the envelope on gun restrictions and have drawn much criticism from pro-Second Amendment groups.

In response to that, at the Board's December 3 Business Meeting, Supervisor Higgins proposed a a legislative agenda item that would oppose General Assembly bills that conflict with the Second Amendment. As I mentioned in the Loudoun United item, I unfortunately had to miss that meeting due to unexpected flight delays. The Board voted 2-6-2 not to add this item to the legislative agenda. I think the Board made the right call and had I been present I would have voted no as well.

I have always said that the Board of Supervisors functions as a local body and should concern itself with County issues. This has led me to oppose items from both sides of the political aisle that I felt were out of keeping with the narrow scope of County business.

Loudoun has a full time legislative liaison and a small government relations firm in Richmond that contracts for us. There are about 3,000 bills filed each session of the General Assembly, and the County typically only takes a stance on 2-5% of them. If the Board adopted a resolution that opposed any item that conflicted with the Second Amendment in any way, it would have created a bunch of confusion and work for our lobbyists on an issue that we ultimately won't have any impact on. When we take a position on an issue, some combination of the liaison, lobbyists, and Supervisors meet with Delegates and Senators, send letters on every bill at every committee stage, and testify at all hearings.

In this specific case, the County staff would not know how to interpret the direction of the Board, because the question of whether these bills violate the Second Amendment is a matter of opinion. The staff would therefore have brought each and every bill to the Board for a specific vote once they are introduced in January. Given that the Board's majority is changing, the outcome of those votes would probably be different than what Supervisor Higgins intended.

I don't believe that we should be using your tax dollars to lobby for or against bills in this realm. It doesn't mean they aren't important or that you as citizens shouldn't have positions on them. But you elect members of the General Assembly who decide these issues, and those are the folks that you should be contacting about them.

Contrary to misinformation that has been put out there, the Board never voted on a Sanctuary County resolution. I don't support that idea either, and here's why.

The Board of Supervisors cannot tell the Sheriff not to enforce certain laws, so it is really a moot point to begin with. Once the General Assembly in Richmond passes a law, state law requires local Sheriff's Offices to uphold it (and of course the State Police as well). I don't favor the concept of a "sanctuary county" in any context, and I think it sets a dangerous precedent. The local County Board should not be trying to manage which laws get enforced and which ones don't, and I would respectfully suggest to those that think we should in this instance that they may not like the results in other areas if the Board goes down this road. And with a new Board coming, any action the outgoing Board took would have been overturned anyway. Finally, this whole discussion is premature. Bills haven't even been introduced in the General Assembly yet, let alone become law.

The Loudoun delegation to the General Assembly is having a legislative public hearing at the Government Center (1 Harrison St. SE in Leesburg) on January 4 from 1-3 PM. This is a good opportunity to make your views known on these topics. For my part, I will continue to be protective of the Board's mission and scope. We have plenty of work to govern Loudoun County, but if we are willing to go outside that framework on one topic, then it opens to the door to many others, and pretty soon we're having political arguments about things that we can't impact. I have taken pride in keeping us on track and effective and I'm going to continue that now that I'm no longer in the political majority. That may at times lead me to take "unpopular" positions, but I've got to be consistent in how I apply my principle of local governance.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

the question of whether these bills violate the Second Amendment is a matter of opinion.

Say, what?? It's pretty darned clear that the prefiled bills violate the Second Amendment.

quote:

I have always said that the Board of Supervisors functions as a local body and should concern itself with County issues. This has led me to oppose items from both sides of the political aisle that I felt were out of keeping with the narrow scope of County business.

How about the Board of Supervisors concern itself with what happens to County revenues when Ralphie's Minions have, say, half the County's wage-earners and tax payers jailed? I said it a couple of pages ago, and I'll continue to say it until someone convinces me otherwise: a county that doesn't step in the way of an overbearing government taking away its productive revenue stream (that is, law-abiding tax-paying citizens) is practically begging for its own failure.

God bless America.

Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't believe that we should be using your tax dollars to lobby for or against bills in this realm. It doesn't mean they aren't important or that you as citizens shouldn't have positions on them. But you elect members of the General Assembly who decide these issues, and those are the folks that you should be contacting about them.

This little bit demonstrates Mr. Letourneau's dangerous ignorance. An ignorance that is shared by many people who have never really read the founding documents or understood the founding principles of the United States of America. Unfortunately many of these folks have an authoritarian bent and have been in power for a long time. Mr. Letourneau does not understand that the proper role of government at all levels is to secure the individuals inherent rights. Moreover, he does not grasp the concept of inherent(unalienable)rights at all. Inherent rights are not a matter of opinion and the people can't give the power to others to subvert or take those rights away from either them or their posterity. That is what "inherent" and "unalienable" mean in this context. Those rights pre-exist any government and are natural rights granted by our Creator. Logically, the General Assembly has no legitimate power to decide such things. All the pre-filed bills attempt subvert or infringe on the individuals inherent right to keep and bear arms in the State of Virginia and are on their face null and void.

Anyone who took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of Virginia and the U.S. Constitution have a duty to oppose such tyrannical "laws".

If you want to better understand tyranny and its methodology, the Constitution Society has a page dedicated to that:

Principles of Tyranny

On inspection, in my humble opinion, we are well down the road to tyranny.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Any nonVirginia folks who feel like emailing & calling, pls join the melt down

Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I’m headed out to sea for several weeks and can’t attend anything in person, I will continue to call and email my representatives and donate as much as I can spare to VCDL, GOA, and the NRA. Anyone who can attend in person, please consider doing so. Give em hell!

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mike, for supporting from a distance!

God bless America.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

7 of the 11 Virginia members of the U.S. House of Representatives are DEMs

2nd District DEM Elaine Luria (only been in office 1 year)

This woman won a district that Trump won heavily in 2016. She won because the Republican running against her had a staff member that allegedly committed voter registration fraud. Luria has done nothing since she has been in office except do exactly as instructed by Nancy Pelosi.

quote:

3rd district DEM Bobby Scott

This is my representative, but only as of recently. I used to be in the 1st. His district was "created" by gerrymandering so as to create a district with a guaranteed black representative. His district was James City County and parts of Newport News and Hampton. There is a lot of land between James City County and parts of Newport News and Hampton. So in order to make it one contiguous district, it included the water portion of the lower James River so as to connect the two portions of his district. His district literally did not touch land between the two ends of his district, it only encompassed water in the middle.

Recently, in 2016, due to a democrat lawsuit, his district was further gerrymandered to include my neighborhood for the purposes of diluting the votes of white residents in the 1st district. That is seriously the justification - that white voters were were too numerous in a neighboring district. So the judge took enough white voters out of that district to make competitive for democrats, but not enough to keep Bobby Scott's district from going republican.

Redistricting rules state that districts should be "competitive" with winners winning by no more than 5%. After "redistricting" Virginia, the governor races fell out as follows:

1st R 54% D 44%
2nd R 47% D 51%
3rd R 31% D 68% < my district is even less competitive now after redistricting in 2016
4th R 37% D 61% < another district that was redrawn to make it more competitive. It's actually less competitive than it was in 2016.
5th R 53% D 46%
6th no numbers but has a republican representative
7th R 51% D 48%

And it goes on and on. The districts were redrawn for the purposes of solidifying Democratic holds on certain districts while making republican districts more competitive for democrats. When the 3rd district was redrawn, Scott praised the new map, saying it “fixes the unconstitutional racial gerrymander of Virginia’s 3rd Congressional District” without saying it was court ordered gerrymandering that drew his district to begin with to ensure it got a black democrat representative. All the redrawing did was dilute a neighboring predominately white district and add more black voters to another neighboring predominately black district. Naturally, the US Supreme Court wouldn't hear the appeal.

On a side note, I saw a cool sign:

Politicians want to take your guns because they intend to do something to you that they should be shot for.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/...-sanctuary-movement/

Meet the Virginia Attorney Educating Thousands On The 2A Sanctuary Movement

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Anyone know whether the FFX county BoS killed or tabled the resolution?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Anyone know whether the FFX county BoS killed or tabled the resolution?

No action since December 3 listed on KeepVa2a. I'm told Fairfax is heavily blue, and that the outlook is pessimistic.

God bless America.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
News from Gun Owners of America:

Meetings are being held in four locations across Virginia tomorrow (Jan 2); GOA is looking for people to show up and speak against Northam's $7.5 million budget request and SB16.

Link? Click here.

God bless America.

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The irony of ironies (probably lost of Northam and the rest of his Bloomberg stooges), is that the Manassas meeting will be held at

George Mason University, Hylton Performing Arts Center, Gregory Family Theatre, 10960 George Mason Circle, Manassas, VA 20109

The name George Mason appears TWICE on this listing. George Mason was the principal author of Virginia's Constitution (he also refused to sign the original U. S. Constitution because it contained no Bill of Rights). Ratified in 1776, Article I, Section 13 reads:
quote:
Virginia Constitution]:Article I. Bill of Rights
Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
If anyone local wants to meet up and attend this one let me know. Email me at captainmyrick AAAATTTT aol DOTTTT com. If work doesn't intervene I will definitely be going.

Virginia Beach is having a hearing on 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Status on Jan 6th at 6PM at government center.
BEING VIRGINIA'S LARGEST CITY, THIS IS A BIG DEAL!

Virginia Beach's Mayor has called a special session on January 6th at 6pm with one item on the agenda: a Second Amendment Constitutional Resolution (verbiage below).

Time: January 6th - Meeting starts at 6pm, but the room will fill much earlier, so get there as soon as you can to get a seat.

Location: Virginia Beach City Hall, the same location as the Dec 3rd meeting.
2401 Courthouse Dr.
Virginia Beach, VA 23456

Parking: There is plenty of public parking around the municipal complex on both Courthouse Drive and on the north side of George Mason Drive

Contact: If you want to speak, call the City Clerk at 757-385-4303

Carry: Carry is allowed, open or concealed, in VB City Hall. The courthouse is in a separate building. VBPD is always very thankful for our demeanor at these meetings. If you see an officer there, please take a moment to thank them for their dedication to the public and for their work.

Council will have a workshop at 4pm - prior to the formal meeting. Public comment is not taken at a workshop. Both of these meetings will be streamed at https://www.vbgov.com/media/Pages/default.aspx and televised. I would recommend everyone watch the workshop if possible to know each council member's thoughts. But remember as we discuss with the council and email them, just because they didn't sponsor the resolution, doesn't mean they don't support it. We need to ask, discuss, and convince, not attack.

Please email each council member expressing your support for this resolution at CityCouncil@vbgov.com, that email address reaches all members of council.

Or if you want to send individual emails or call each member that contact info is here https://www.vbgov.com/governme...council-members.aspx

If you have already reached out to VB council once, please do so AGAIN between now and Sunday - Moms Demand Action has stepped up contacting council and we need our voice to be overwhelming.

Please don't think you can sit this one out. Staying home is what cost us so many elections this past November. We need an enormous presence to offset the anti's that are organizing. Time to turn out all the Patriots again. Clear your calendar.
Overflow viewing and seating will be in Building 19 across the street from City Hall, but amassing in front of City Hall worked out great last time, let's do it again!

All those who wish to address council will be heard. The City Clerk is working hard to finalize a plan to shuffle groups of speakers into and out of the building so we don't put City Hall at over capacity again. ;-)

Thank you for your support!

The proposed resolution:

REQUESTED BY THE MAYOR, VICE MAYOR, AND COUNCILMEMBERS ABBOTT, MOSS, AND WILSON

A RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS

WHEREAS, the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees that the " right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed;"

WHEREAS, the Virginia Bill of Rights, which is part of the Constitution of Virginia, also protects the " right of the people to keep and bear arms;"

WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court, in District of Columbia v. Heller, affirmed an individual' s right to own and possess firearms for self-defense within the home or for other lawful purposes;

WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court, in McDonald v. Chicago, affirmed that the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution applies to the states through the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution;

WHEREAS, the City Council strongly believes that the right of citizens to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right that should be protected to the greatest degree possible;

WHEREAS, the members of the City Council have taken an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia;

WHEREAS, the City Council is concerned that certain pre-filed legislation for the 2020 session of the General Assembly may threaten the rights of law- abiding citizens to keep and bear arms guaranteed by the constitutions of the Commonwealth of Virginia and of the United States;

WHEREAS, the City Council expresses opposition to any law that would unconstitutionally restrict the rights of law-abiding citizens of the City to keep and bear arms; and

WHEREAS, the City Council desires to act in the best interests of the residents of the City, and accordingly, the Council hereby express its sentiments with regard to this important and fundamental right;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA THAT:

1. The City Council hereby expresses its continued commitment to support all provisions of the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia, including the right of the people to keep and bear arms;

2. The City Council hereby expresses its strong support for the rights of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms and urges the members of the General Assembly and the Governor to take no action which would violate the freedoms guaranteed by either the Virginia Bill of Rights or the federal Bills or Rights;

3. The City Council hereby declares the City of Virginia Beach a “Second Amendment Constitutional City;"

4. The City Council hereby supports the actions of other elected bodies making similar declarations on behalf of Virginia counties, cities, and towns; and

5. The City Council hereby directs the City Manager to forward a copy of this resolution to the City’s General Assembly delegation and to the Governor of Virginia.

Adopted by the City Council of the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia, on this ___ day of ___2020.

Thanks to member Vincent Smith for putting the draft of this alert together.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
thanks CaptMike. I am shotgunning this to my network

posted Hide Post
Just moved to Loudoun County. So would you all buy another AR receiver right now??

I'd get a lot more physically involved if I could, so far just keeping it financially and virtually involved.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post