SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
I notice that those of you rushing to the NRA's defense didn't address the specific issue I raised. Give me a legitimate reason for what they've done in this case (with consideration to the timing as well) and explain how it was helpful. They basically inserted a spoiler in order to advance their own selfish agenda.

Today's NRA is about $$$$$ first, second, third and fourth. The NRA would love nothing more than to maintain a status quo where our right is on the precipice. Fortunately, they're fooling less and less people as time goes on.

Incidentally, I wasn't immune to their bullshit not too long ago and I've contributed money.

You said that the NRA was anti 2A. That’s a big claim that you need to back up. I listed some of the positive things the NRA has done such as Heller, which you have ignored. As for the timing of this rally, how can we answer your question about its benefits when it hasn’t yet happened? You are speaking about it in the past tense.

The NRA scheduled a rally which may have unfortunate timing, but that is a long way from actively working against the 2A. Perhaps they felt that their rally would be more effective. Perhaps they felt that two rallies back-to-back would be helpful. Who knows, but that’s a long way from “they did it to thwart our efforts” or as a fund raiser.

In one breath you state that the NRA is late to the cause while in the second you say that the NRA shouldn’t be having a rally. So which is it? Do you want the NRA involved, or would you prefer them to stay out of it?

As for you continuously questioning their motives, at this point in this fight, you are doing nobody any good, especially the gun rights for the Commonwealth.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Blaming the NRA is an easy out, the real blame goes to the voters of the Commonwealth of VA, the officials they elected and Bloombergs Wallet.

There is no doubt the NRA has lobbyists in the VA house and senate, and they knew the vote was coming and how it would turn out before the vote was held.

They also know that taking a hard stand against something that is going to happen no matter what is a death sentence for the NRA's power and our guns.

How smart would it be to take a big online and televised position they were going to stop the inevitable, only to lose, and become the poster for how to beat the NRA...

They know the best chance on this is in the courts, the voters packed the government in VA with anti gunners and Bloomberg is funding a hard hitting alternative to guns.

The game is to break the old narratives down, guns, drugs, immigration, all the old untouchable conservative areas are being challenged.

Smart wins, I'm sorry the good people of VA have to go through this, but the NRA isn't the problem, it's your states voters, elected officials and Bloombergs money..

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Apparently about 40% of registered voters in VA turned out for the General Assembly elections in 2019. I can't quite put my finger on the problem, but....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what percentage of the turnout were republicans

in my experience, most republicans are lazy and apathetic SOB's who can't be bothered to get out and vote even though they know exactly what is going on and what is at stake

suppose that half of those that voted were republican, that means that only 20% of eligible republicans voted - the other 80% didn't care

we are our own worst enemy

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Being able to time winning an election that basically flips control of an entire state legislature from Republican to Democrat is a neat trick.

quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
^^^ I just want to say that this all seems to be timed to coincide with the internal fights within NRA. It's almost like the opposition had chum thrown in the water and have gone into a feeding frenzy. Meanwhile, there's a big show this weekend near me..I plan to go and support folks even if it means buying myself a nice Christmas present.
Re-reading my post; it's not quite what I wanted to say. It's as if the issues that came forward from the last NRA annual meeting were seized upon with a vengeance for the antis, and the big fat wallets were opened and the news about our leaders was squashed at the same time. When a state delegate candidate gets roughly $600K from outside groups to flip a seat in a historically conservative district, you know something is rotten in Richmond. Jan. 1 I send VCDL, VSSA, and NRA a check.

I'll stop preaching to the choir now.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

in my experience, most republicans are lazy and apathetic SOB's who can't be bothered to get out and vote even though they know exactly what is going on and what is at stake

suppose that half of those that voted were republican, that means that only 20% of eligible republicans voted - the other 80% didn't care

No detailed demographics yet that I could find, but apropos of the General Elections next year, if more than half of the country doesn't care who gets elected, the crap shoot may well continue. It's frustrating, but nonvoters could get the government they so richly deserve. Pray that they are Democrats. Entropy is alive and well.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
GOA and VCDL Response to AG Herring Advisory Opinion.

I had never heard this quote, but I can not think of a more appropriate quote given the current situation.

Roman Emperor Trajan to a subordinate: “Use this sword against my enemies, if I give righteous commands; but if I give unrighteous commands, use it against me.”

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You said that the NRA was anti 2A. That’s a big claim that you need to back up. I listed some of the positive things the NRA has done such as Heller, which you have ignored. As for the timing of this rally, how can we answer your question about its benefits when it hasn’t yet happened? You are speaking about it in the past tense.

What I'm saying is that the NRA's primary and overriding mission at this point is MONEY. If I recall correctly, Heller initially approached the NRA for assistance and was rebuffed. The NRA inserted itself very late in the game and against the wishes of the various participants who had joined forces in the litigation. Despite being asked to stay out, they got involved, didn't strengthen the case in any way and then took most of the credit.

quote:
The NRA scheduled a rally which may have unfortunate timing, but that is a long way from actively working against the 2A. Perhaps they felt that their rally would be more effective. Perhaps they felt that two rallies back-to-back would be helpful. Who knows, but that’s a long way from “they did it to thwart our efforts” or as a fund raiser.

Unfortunate timing? Their involvement now is opportunistic, pure and simple. If they were acting in good faith, they would have thrown their support behind VCDL and added to the strength of the rally where planning was already well underway. However, since they can't have top billing (so they can make more MONEY), they decided to go on their own and cause confusion and division.

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7
In one breath you state that the NRA is late to the cause while in the second you say that the NRA shouldn’t be having a rally. So which is it?

BOTH. They didn't make a move while all the heavy lifting was being done but now they want MONEY and credit where none is deserved.

quote:
As for you continuously questioning their motives, at this point in this fight, you are doing nobody any good, especially the gun rights for the Commonwealth.

I'm in the process of making arrangements so I can get my ass down there. Will you be there? I'll be very happy to buy you a beer or three.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I'm saying is that the NRA's primary and overriding mission at this point is MONEY.

Heller initially approached the NRA for assistance and was rebuffed.

Their involvement now is opportunistic, pure and simple.

I am just curious...how do you know all of this? Are you an NRA employee? Do you know an insider? Is this based on some facts/documentation you have come across or is this just your opinion/analysis. That's okay, I am just wondering where this all comes from. Just asking.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 252 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
I'm in the process of making arrangements so I can get my ass down there. Will you be there? I'll be very happy to buy you a beer or three.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I’m 1800 miles away, and our own legislature is about to get started, so I’ll be here lobbing my own reps to guard against any mischief. I do support VCDL financially, and I also enthusiastically berate any VA family members who aren’t getting involved.

Good luck at the rally. God speed, and I’ll be pulling for you and the great state of Virginia from afar.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

There are about 5.6 million REGISTERED voters in Virginia. About 2.3 million of them voted - or 50%. Of these, I understand more votes were cast for Republicans than Democrats. In other words, Republicans won by larger margins than did Democrats. Many of the democrats that won won by very slim margins. Additionally, the republican party didn't run a candidate in 25% of the races. In those, the democrat candidate was unchallenged.

2.3 million registered voters didn't vote. Of those, I'd say at least half or more are conservative. But they didn't vote.

This ain't a blue state because there aren't enough conservative to keep it red. This is a blue state because red voters didn't vote. There are enough conservatives to turn this state deep red. But they are too lazy to vote.

And the republican party of virginia is the biggest group of cluster-fuckers on the planet.

Hopefully, with the democrats threatening/promising the following:

gun confiscation and registration
repealing right to work law
cancelling auto inspection requirements
legalizing marijuana
decriminalizing other drug offenses
raising property taxes
unregulated abortion at taxpayer expense
prohibiting localities and developers from prohibiting the building of high density house (apartments) in single-family-home neighborhoods (cuz homeowners are racists)

...maybe these lazy conservative will get off their asses and actually vote next time around.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I donated $50 to VCDL yesterday and will send them another donation when I get a chance. (They have a place on their web page to make a donation).

I am launching letters to a host of VA legislators on Monday.

I am going to walk in to my Delegate’s local office next week and talk to the legislative assistant, and maybe the Delegate himself if he is there, to engage him on the subject of the 2A. I think this may be an effective means of making some key points, although this is a strategy I haven’t read anyone else suggesting. Every Legislator maintains a public office in his or her local home area; why not stop by and talk to them or their assistants there?

The NRA needs to reform itself from within; corrupt and greedy leaders need to go; new leaders who are respected in the larger community need to be found. The NRA has lost respect because of a host of missteps, which we can see in retrospect were caused by greed and hubris, and this is hurting the cause of the RKBA. This cannot be fixed right away, but a major argument of the gun-banners - that the NRA is a corrupt organization that represents only the arms industry - can be eliminated if the NRA is seen to be reforming itself. This can happen in relatively short order.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:

2.3 million registered voters didn't vote. Of those, I'd say at least half or more are conservative. But they didn't vote.

...maybe these lazy conservative will get off their asses and actually vote next time around.

If this interview doesn’t get them off their asses (along with EVERY GUN OWNER IN EVERY STATE even the FUDDS Mad) and push the dems/“progressives” out in November 2020...I don’t know what is wrong with them Roll Eyes

VOTE LIKE A GUN OWNER or this shit will spread to your state!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/S39U5kDTIBg

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
This is good! It will definitely keep my friends in the Old Dominion aware of the situation and fired up.

NRA billboards going up in Virginia

I’m not from Virginia but this looks like too little too late.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

If this interview doesn’t get them off their asses (along with EVERY GUN OWNER IN EVERY STATE even the FUDDS Mad) and push the dems/“progressives” out in November 2020...I don’t know what is wrong with them Roll Eyes

VOTE LIKE A GUN OWNER or this shit will spread to your state!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/S39U5kDTIBg

Honestly, I think the budget increase issue is being overblown but if it helps motivate our side then that's fine with me.

From what I've read, the increase totaled $250k of which $50k is earmarked for non compliance with upcoming firearm law changes. What's that going to cover, 2 or 3 inmates? It's not a lot of money. Perhaps this was just poor timing on a standard budget increase. I'm not sure what to make of it at this point.

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
What I'm saying is that the NRA's primary and overriding mission at this point is MONEY.

Heller initially approached the NRA for assistance and was rebuffed.

Their involvement now is opportunistic, pure and simple.

I am just curious...how do you know all of this? Are you an NRA employee? Do you know an insider? Is this based on some facts/documentation you have come across or is this just your opinion/analysis. That's okay, I am just wondering where this all comes from. Just asking.

Back when this was playing out, there was a lot of information on the various forums as you can imagine. This is just my recollection of how things transpired and I can certainly be wrong. I don't have any inside or first hand knowledge.

I'm sure there's still plenty of info out there on this subject.

Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Virginia members: how many of you have been in touch with your local delegates, and what sort of responses have you gotten?

Delegate Rush's office essentially told me "we hear you, and we're on your side about it," but I didn't get a solid sense of "we're going to fight like hell against these new laws." I intend to get in touch with that office again.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

Delegate Rush's office essentially told me "we hear you, and we're on your side about it," but I didn't get a solid sense of "we're going to fight like hell against these new laws."

That's because delegate Rush is too busy cluster-fucking with the rest of the feckless republicans. Nobody has heard anything from them.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post