SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teacher who fed puppy to snapping turtle found not guilty of animal cruelty
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Teacher who fed puppy to snapping turtle found not guilty of animal cruelty Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
I'm going to be upfront and admit that while usually rational, I have no interest in being rational about this and seeing opposing views.

So you're a Leftist?

Because that is the crux of their argument about, well, pick a topic.

You're offended, your values are incensed, so you won't engage?

You're a Leftist.

If you're going to shut down everyone else on the grounds of moral outrage, you're no better than the fringe of the right, and the very upset blue "wave" of our nation right now.

We rarely disagree, my friend. I don't think you really see "support" for what this man did, in this thread.

But, if you've found an excuse to shut down avenues of discussion or debate, you've created a microcosm of the "strategy" of the left.

Life, on almost any level, isn't black and white, or black and red if you have that kind of chess board.

We try to do right as we live our lives. But, if I can quote:

"Life is pain, princess.....anyone who says differently is selling something."

Am I an apologist, a realist, or an accomplice? Where should we file everyone who responds here? As friend or enemy? Is that distinction actually necessary?

Yep, I'm a lefty, alright.

Lefty's always insist that we have to have a "conversation" about gun control or any other topic. They insist that we must have "compromise". That conversation is never a conversation, and the compromise is never a compromise.

Pick a topic. Insist that we must have a discussion. That we must coexist and have tolerance for things that sicken us, instead of standing by a moral and ethical position that is doing the right thing. If that makes me a lefty, well so be it. If other people's moral compasses are so screwed up that they can't see it, we surely have nothing to discuss. The left is always driven by emotion. I am driven by a little, apparently quaint belief that we don't conduct ourselves like sadistic fucks in the name of anything. We show mercy and compassion. Even as we hunt and kill animals for food. We don't let a deer suffer after being shot for food. We put down all sorts of animals struck by automobiles because we show compassion, and hopefully we will be shown compassion.

I have nothing to discuss, and have nothing to compromise on this topic on. If you want to call me names, so be it.

Checkmate...

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Report This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Arc, Kevin, Darth, Jhe and whomever else made those points are indeed correct.

I love my dogs, more than most humans. And upon first read this story sickened me, and I continue to believe there are aspects of it that are simply wrong, legal status aside.

But I'm also honest with myself and others such that I can acknowledge they're right when they are, and they are. Dogs being thought of differently is a purely subjective notion, driven by emotion and habit, not some inherent aspect of dogs that makes them special.

I have lots of compassion, and I employ it equally when I stop and think about it. My friends who love their cats, hamsters, snakes, and more love them like I love my dogs, and for that matter I've loved cats I've owned equally as well.

The poor sick puppy wasn't tortured, and at the end of the day it may have suffered one minute longer than if it had been euthanized by injection at your local vet. And now that my own initial emotion driven response has cool a bit, I also realize these harsh realities.

When I was a kid, my friends and I liked to hang out at the local pet store. They had a rather large tank with only one fish in it - it was a piranha. We learned that once a day during store hours, they would feed the piranha a gold fish.

* It scarred us all for life - witnessing the brutal murder of that gold fish. The store employee would drop the gold fish into the tank and the gold fish would swim as close to the surface as it could. But, it's horrific, gruesome fate was sealed. The piranha would see the gold fish and swim in very straight, very fast line directly toward the poor, innocent gold fish, and then the piranha would take a chunk out of the side right where his fin was, making it impossible to swim in any direction. The piranha would then swim casually away, savoring his bite, then circle around and do the same thing again - over and over until the gold fish was completely eaten. We all had nightmares for years after that.

* No, we didn't. We knew this was what life is really all about. We knew that in life, there are predators and prey.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Arc, Kevin, Darth, Jhe and whomever else made those points are indeed correct.

I love my dogs, more than most humans. And upon first read this story sickened me, and I continue to believe there are aspects of it that are simply wrong, legal status aside.

But I'm also honest with myself and others such that I can acknowledge they're right when they are, and they are. Dogs being thought of differently is a purely subjective notion, driven by emotion and habit, not some inherent aspect of dogs that makes them special.

I have lots of compassion, and I employ it equally when I stop and think about it. My friends who love their cats, hamsters, snakes, and more love them like I love my dogs, and for that matter I've loved cats I've owned equally as well.

The poor sick puppy wasn't tortured, and at the end of the day it may have suffered one minute longer than if it had been euthanized by injection at your local vet. And now that my own initial emotion driven response has cool a bit, I also realize these harsh realities.

Way too much logic 46, we need to be swayed by our memories of our childhood pup and string the teacher up, while we are at it we should also call each other ass douches and refuse to even consider any other points of view.

I can understand the outrage, I can also understand others points of view here. In the end no matter how one has elevated the dog above any other animals, they are still just animals. No different than the cow I am going to eat for dinner. Many of them live horrible lives before being slaughtered. I still love ribeyes, but I would never process a cow myself.

I don't know enough to condemn him or to say it was a good lesson in the cycle of life. I can say it was handled wrong. For something like this the puppy should not have been passed around and petted and parental permission should have been sought. Let the parents teach this kind of lessen, if it needs to be taught.

I can add a story about my buddy. From the time he was 9 or 10 if one of the dogs or livestock became injured, sick, unable to preform it's function or behave, it was his job to dispatch of it. Dad would give him a couple rounds and send him out to do the deed. He's now in his forties, it still bothers him to this day looking his pets in the eyes before ending their lives.

To people who have working dogs or livestock, they are tools or a means to existence and they are treated as such.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:
Violence is a part of nature, and a part of life. How we teach our kids about that, should be ours to decide and control.

"Should be ours to decide and control". Sorry, no. You could stage a new fight to the death every day- a dog against a cat, a chicken against a fox-- and you have no right to "decide and control" that kind of torture to make the point that "nature is violent."

I believe that you missed the entire point of the passage you quoted. As a parent, it is up to us to teach our kids about life, not some sick @#$& (stupidly and entirely inappropriately) employed as a teacher.

My kids have learned a lot about death. It happens with older relatives, it happens with dogs, they just flat don’t live long enough. And when you breed livestock, you learn about birth, but there are deaths too. The simple fact is that living things die. Some sooner, some later, but they all die. That said, had either of my kids (son or daughter) been in that classroom, it would not have surprised me in the least if they had physically attacked the “teacher” when he pulled this stunt. Just because everything living dies and something is dying is no excuse to treat it without respect. That is something they have learned about death too.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to be upfront and admit that while usually rational, I have no interest in being rational about this and seeing opposing views.

Trying to justify this as being the cycle of life is about like putting two fighting chickens in a cage and then claiming that when one kills the other that it is natural because they fight in the wild.

This was a sick fuck that intentionally let an animal suffer.

Gents, there is no justification for this. I'm sorry but there is not. This "call of the wild" bullshit is just that. Either we're compassionate, or we're not. Pick one. Because defending this isn't compassion.

Thank you! Dogs are domesticated animals, not a fish or a mouse or a Zebra. There is no comparison what so ever.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
And your statistic on exactly how many support the teacher is what again?

Original Link

quote:

Morse pointed out that Franklin County, as of March 1, 2017, had a population of 6,148 registered voters. He then said that if the 3,910 Change.org petition supporters are registered voters they would represent over 63.5 percent of the jury pool, which “means that it is likely that nearly two thirds” of potential jurors in the case “support (Crosland) and stand behind his actions.”

Again, that is from the left wing rag printed in Pocatello, Idaho (about sixty miles from Franklin county). New York Times - WestBig Grin

Don't worry they're just a bunch of uneducated, hard working, gun loving, small town, Christian hicks. I'm sure you know much more than the jury and the community.

And if you had read the article further - nobody knows if the Change.org petition supporters are local to the community or not. Nobody has done a check on that petition like they did on the petition that was not supporting the teacher's actions.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I'm a little tired of the sick puppy stuff. Her said it was sick. He never had a vet check it out. It was reported that a friend gave him the puppy. So his friend gave him a puppy to be his pet and when it became ill he decided he will feed it to his illegal pet turtle? I would like to hear from the guy who gave him the puppy. I'm betting he ain't gonna be giving this asshole anymore puppies. I don't know but his story sucks and seems more like a poor excuse to cover up his bad idea.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Now, I'm the biggest dog lover we have here on the forum... And i won't tell stories that could get me indicted that justify that...

But I'm interested in a question on this one academically...

How is this different from the guys who walk into the "pet" store that sells snakes, monitor lizards, or similar animals and sell live rats or live mice or live crickets as feed for the snake or other reptile?

When I was in 7th Grade i had a good teacher. Mr. Pointer. He still wore, in the mid 90's a Luke Skywalker haircut, drove a 1982 Camaro with rust, and lived with his mom. But he was a smart man and a damn fine teacher.

We had a few class pets, including a Monitor Lizard. His name was Lars (after Lars Ulrich of Metallica, his favorite band). Lars ate mice. As a baby lizard he ate mouse or rat embroyo's. As he got older he ate small mice, and then as he aged he ate small rats. Live.

While I never got any pleasure out of watching the experience, it was a lesson on the circle of life.

Are we pissed at Lions for eating some Gazelle on the plains of Africa? Do we complain about the fish or seals or whatever a shark eats in the wild?

Unless the guy was unnecessarily cruel about it, and from the store it does not seem so, it seems the dog would pass anyway, the how can we be mad?

Now, if there was any unnecessary suffering just let me know, and I"ll grab a torch and pitchfork and march with you guys.

Other than that, Life is fucking cruel guys. It is the nature of the beast. That is a lesson not taught and seemingly forgotten today. Some days you are the windshield and some days you really are the bug, and there is no forgiveness, not give backs, and no feeling.

I despise people who go out of their way to be unfair, or cruel. But it is also folly to refuse to acknowledge the cruelty that is inherent to life. It is a sign of goodness to both accept and truly know the difference between the two.

I had this thought as well. No one would arrest someone for feeding live mice to a snake.

I'd feed your children to wolves. It's just nature taking its course.

You can't tell people from animals?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And if you had read the article further - nobody knows if the Change.org petition supporters are local to the community or not. Nobody has done a check on that petition like they did on the petition that was not supporting the teacher's actions.

I read the entire article. I spend a couple of days a month in the area. Nobody wants to hang him. NOBODY. Please continue hanging shit on the local residents and trash this guy on the internet. After all, it's all over puppies. Sorry marksman, I follow your posts and respect the hell out of you but I think you are a bit emotional in this thread.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hapevo:
quote:

Trying to justify this as being the cycle of life is about like putting two fighting chickens in a cage and then claiming that when one kills the other that it is natural because they fight in the wild.

This was a sick fuck that intentionally let an animal suffer.

Gents, there is no justification for this. I'm sorry but there is not. This "call of the wild" bullshit is just that. Either we're compassionate, or we're not. Pick one. Because defending this isn't compassion.

Thank you! Dogs are domesticated animals, not a fish or a mouse or a Zebra. There is no comparison what so ever.

And they're so cute, especially when they're puppies.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:

People are animals. A different species that a puppy for sure. Bigger, fairly bald apes, but a type of animal nonetheless. Where a person draws the moral line is different from individual to individual. Legalities aside of course.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:

I read the entire article. I spend a couple of days a month in the area. Nobody wants to hang him. NOBODY. Please continue hanging shit on the local residents and trash this guy on the internet. After all, it's all over puppies. Sorry marksman, I follow your posts and respect the hell out of you but I think you are a bit emotional in this thread.

Unless you have canvassed the entire population of Preston, you don't know what they think. What I know is that 80+% of journalists and newspapers are left wing - based on their own responses to questions about which political party they support. Also, isn't Change.org an Obama era support and petition site? More Left-wing bias.

Whether the Idaho paper you've linked to doesn't lean Left or not, I don't know. If it doesn't, it is an exception, not the rule. I do know that Idaho has Democrats and other left-of-center people so portraying all of Idaho, and everyone in Preston, and a God-fearing, 2nd Amendment, fiscal conservative is really a stretch.

Agreed on the surplus of emotion on my part. After my initial response to your post, I deleted mine to not only try to prevent thread lock, but also because I remember trying to debate JAllen on some topics I was emotional about. Not only did I not, nor ever would, have the intellectual skill that he had, but he kept re-teaching me that arguing from the heart without including the head is a sure way to get my ass handed to me.

So, as much as I feel about this issue, I took a step back to try and use my brain as well as my heart. And, with that, I have to apologize for my name-calling earlier. That was unnecessary and entirely uncalled for.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity for the people here who think the puppy didn’t suffer anything more than being drowned....have you ever been bitten by a turtle? I have. And it hurt, a lot. Their beaks are razor sharp, and they clamp down HARD when they bite. I was bitten by a little mud turtle and it almost tore a chunk out of my finger...I can only imagine how much it would hurt getting bitten by a mature snapping turtle.

That puppy did indeed feel a lot of unnessary pain for the seconds or minutes prior to drowning and then being eaten by the turtle. This guy could have ended it’s life in a MUCH more humane way.

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Comparing the actions of the farmer in Darth's post to what this teacher did is an apples to something very much different from apples. Not at all alike or similar in any way.

Farmer's dog: formed a bad and possibly costly habit of eating farmer's chicken eggs. Farmer does quick kill of dog.

Teacher's puppy: did nothing against anyone/anything; may or may not have been ill; teacher gave puppy a prolonged and fearful death.

One of the things that bothers me most about what the teacher did is the terror he put the puppy through. We know dogs have emotions. Put yourself in the place of the dog - already fearful of unknown surroundings, strange people handling you, then hit with the stark terror of being forced underwater and struggling to breathe and survive.

But, yeah, those are the hallmarks of a great educator.

Except the herding dog in my example didn't know he had formed a bad habit. He didn't know he was doing wrong. He was eating. As far as he knew, farmer Smith was walking up to pat him on the head as usual until BLAMO!

The emotion applied here is human. That is not to say such emotion is wrong, but we must recognize it for what it is so we don't do wrong ourselves.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
quote:

People are animals. A different species that a puppy for sure. Bigger, fairly bald apes, but a type of animal nonetheless. Where a person draws the moral line is different from individual to individual. Legalities aside of course.

You make an important distinction. People are of the animal kingdom in flesh. What separates us from animals is we can make principled, reasonable and moral choices based on logic and spirituality. That is what elevates the human from an animal.....even one so soft and snuggly as a puppy with a wiggly tail. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29704 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
We are, indeed, all animals. We're bipedal mostly-hairless apes with vestigial tails, FFS.

We have much more in common with chimps, bonobos, and whales than we do dogs.

And, again, I love my dogs dearly.

But it could have easily been a frog, a dolphin, an anteater, or otherwise had random events in human history gone differently.

Our status as "different from wild apes" is barely ten seconds old in a broad time scale. Every single thing you think of as normal and civilized is as new as it gets, historically.

Some people put spiders outside rather than squishing them, others move snakes out of the road rather than running them over, and others are drawn to dogs, but they and we are all living creatures and if we're going to be outraged I suggest we be consistent.

How many scary looking dogs or ankle biters are shot by jumpy LE each year? I've criticized them myself, before, but that's roundly accepted in modern society, meanwhile some municipalities simultaneously treat Working Dogs as near-human, legally.

The guy sounds fucked up, to be sure. But more broadly, the act wasn't that unusual, and the valuations we place on such things are as uniquely preferential as ones favorite food.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you.

Much better than what I was going to say. To make the argument that there is no difference between a rodent and a dog is asinine and ignores 10,000 years of history. Utterly ridiculous to try to pass this off as a 'call of the wild' moment. Torturing small animals is a sign of a psycho. Humanely putting an animal down that is suffering is one thing, putting a dog in an aquarium with a snapping turtle is sick and twisted.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I'm a little tired of the sick puppy stuff. Her said it was sick. He never had a vet check it out. It was reported that a friend gave him the puppy. So his friend gave him a puppy to be his pet and when it became ill he decided he will feed it to his illegal pet turtle? I would like to hear from the guy who gave him the puppy. I'm betting he ain't gonna be giving this asshole anymore puppies. I don't know but his story sucks and seems more like a poor excuse to cover up his bad idea.

I don't care if the puppy was sick, or not. The issue is that he apparently threw it ALIVE into the tank with the snapper and watched it drown. and did it while he was accompanied by children.

I don't care why he did it. He did it! If he really felt some earth shaking need to feed a live sick puppy to a snapping turtle why do it in front of children? We can speculate on his motives until they start serving lemonade in hell, but it will not change the FACTS! And I do not care what some idiot judge said about it not being cruel. Wonder what the judge would say if he was tossed alive into a pool filled with snappers.

And with that, I am out of this thread.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This asshole did this for shock value alone. If he was simply trying to dispose of a sick animal, why let a couple of children play with it? After school hours? Why involve any kids at all? All signs point toward him being demented enough to shock 4 students who, from statements made, didn’t exactly seem like it was something they expected to be involved with.

No, all signs point to him being a grandstanding sick fuck. Nobody needs to try and tear him down; his own actions did that, and I don’t believe any bullshit about the whole community backing his actions.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15588 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post