SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teacher who fed puppy to snapping turtle found not guilty of animal cruelty
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Teacher who fed puppy to snapping turtle found not guilty of animal cruelty Login/Join 
posted
I agree with the verdict, but this teacher has some serious issues. I believe there are more appropriate ways to teach survival of the fittest or how cruel Nature can be. My first thought was of Wu on Deadwood feeding his pigs. Here is the story:

PRESTON, Idaho — An Idaho middle school teacher who fed a puppy to a snapping turtle was found not guilty of animal cruelty late Friday afternoon.

The defense attorney for Robert Crosland said in an opening statement Friday his team is not disputing that Mr. Crosland fed a puppy to a snapping turtle, but argued "we don’t believe a crime was committed."

Crosland had been charged in Franklin County, Idaho, with misdemeanor animal cruelty after local residents reported him to police for feeding a sick, dying puppy to a snapping turtle.

Prosecutor David Morris said the incident occurred in Crosland’s classroom at Preston Junior High School, but after normal school hours with four students present.

One of those students, a 14-year-old, testified Friday that he was staying after school to do make-up work following a family vacation.

The teen said he played with and touched the puppy before Crosland first tried feeding it to a snake in his classroom.

“It was pretty cute,” the teen witness said. “It looked like a Lab.”

When the snake paid no attention to the puppy in its tank, the teen said Crosland moved the puppy to the snapping turtle’s tank.

Another student testified he was also in the classroom when the puppy was fed to the turtle.

That student said he'd never had Crosland as a science teacher, but stopped by to talk with the teacher after school and hold the animals — including two snakes, some lizards and the snapping turtle.

On March 7, 2018, the teen said, Crosland told him he had a sick puppy and asked if the teen wanted to take it home. Then the teen said Crosland told him and his friends he would feed the puppy to the snapping turtle, and asked if they wanted to watch.

“He let us hold it first,” the teen said about the puppy. “It was small, one-handed size for a person with big hands.”

The teen said Crosland then put the puppy in the snapping turtle tank. The puppy swam around before it was dragged to the bottom of the tank by the snapping turtle, the teen testified.

“And then the puppy passed out and became unconscious,” the teen continued.

Another witness, a 7th grade student in Crosland’s science class, said he held the puppy before it was put in the tank and could see the puppy’s ribs.

“It wasn’t doing the best,” the boy testified about the dog's health.

That’s why Crosland’s son, Mario, said his father fed the puppy to the turtle.

“If you can lose a life to help another, then why not?” Mario Crosland said.

Mario Crosland said his father made a choice to let another animal gain from the death of the puppy rather than let the dog die from illness.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/01/05/t...y-of-animal-cruelty/

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Was this puppy ever taken to the vet to see what the problem was?
And the kids should not have seen this.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s just wrong!
I’d like to dangle that so called teachers meat & 2 veggies in that tank, see how he feels.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
He should be fired. What kind of sick weirdo does that and then he's stupid enough to let students see it?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3529 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Report This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I hope his life is over.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
He should be fired. What kind of sick weirdo does that and then he's stupid enough to let students see it?
Nope, the man should have his head held under water until there is no life left in him. I'll volunteer to accomplish this task if no one local will volunteer. This is beyond sick, and anyone who would do such a thing is only a step or two from abusing children or others. This piece of filth needs to be removed from the planet.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see this sick fuck go face to face with an alligator snapping turtle. Seems fair.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15565 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'm not making excuses for this teacher. But you have to understand the perspective of the rural rancher toward livestock. Animal life becomes pretty cheap. From what I read over the several months since this event, the puppy was incurable and close to death. The snapping turtle would have eaten the puppy had it found it in the wild. That is how it is seen by rancher types with livestock.

What we see here is two cultures colliding. Gentrified types who see many species as pets and anthropomorphize them and ranchers types who see things a little more practically. I am more gentrified and would not have done what the teacher did. It turns my stomach. But I would not process my own meat either. Most of Idaho is rural rancher culture.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What's even more disgusting is the fact that I cant find any info on him being fired. At least one report I read said that Crosland had a history of feeding live Guinea Pigs to the snakes he had in the classroom. Want to instruct my kid on the food chain? Great! Want to demo it live with a snake or snapper? Nope.
I cant help but think the dude is way too much into this.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
BigDeal,

I totally agree with your thoughts. Hold that clown’s head under water until he passes out.

Toss him into an alligator pond and let the impact in the water wake him up. See if he can swim out before he gets pulled under. Very disgusting human action.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you agree with the verdict or try to justify it in any way. The teacher is a sicko and making any animal suffer more than it has to is not a teaching tool. I wish the teacher would have been punished harshly.

I would do some kind of scan of his backyard, you might find some bodies there.

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Abhorrent.

The wife is a vet and a farm kid. She cannot wrap her head around what makes this ok. If the puppy was going to die, it should have been done the right way.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what I read over the several months since this event, the puppy was incurable and close to death.

Then have a Vet put the poor little thing to a restful sleep.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Who was the piece of crap judge? If that isn't cruel, what is? I say to hold his head in the area with the snapping turtle and see if it is not cruel.

There are no different walks/ways of life here. We are not a third world country. We have determined what are domestic pets and what are not. Is he a veterinarian? Even if he did take it to a vet., is there not another way to be HUMANE?

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Trying to justify what this guy did because the dog was going to die anyhow is ridiculous.
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
From what I read over the several months since this event, the puppy was incurable and close to death.

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Report This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
The dude is definitely a dumbass.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Report This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:

Exactly. Why have its last moments be a traumatic situation of being put it a tank, locked into the jaws of an animal, and dragged under water to be drowned?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a little traumatized by reading this...geez

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Report This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
I’m nauseous after reading this post. Some people just have no moral compass.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe he was technically not guilty but he's one sick fuck.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post