SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teacher who fed puppy to snapping turtle found not guilty of animal cruelty
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Teacher who fed puppy to snapping turtle found not guilty of animal cruelty Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just another sick asshole. He could have waited until the puppy died if it was dying. Why feed it to the snapper while still alive? He should be summarily fired, with cause! and prevented from ever teaching kids anything, ever again.

Elk

Indeed.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A “Lab” puppy that small was probably too young to survive without its mother or some kind of special care, which I doubt was being provided by pervo. This sick jackass could have easily gone to the grocery store and bought a pound of hamburger for the damn turtle to eat. It strikes me as odd that he was having kids who weren’t in his class by to talk, letting them hold a living puppy, then trying to feed the pup to a snake, then to a snapper. Really odd. In a bad way. I don’t believe he should be allowed to be around children.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Now, I'm the biggest dog lover we have here on the forum... And i won't tell stories that could get me indicted that justify that...

But I'm interested in a question on this one academically...

How is this different from the guys who walk into the "pet" store that sells snakes, monitor lizards, or similar animals and sell live rats or live mice or live crickets as feed for the snake or other reptile?

When I was in 7th Grade i had a good teacher. Mr. Pointer. He still wore, in the mid 90's a Luke Skywalker haircut, drove a 1982 Camaro with rust, and lived with his mom. But he was a smart man and a damn fine teacher.

We had a few class pets, including a Monitor Lizard. His name was Lars (after Lars Ulrich of Metallica, his favorite band). Lars ate mice. As a baby lizard he ate mouse or rat embroyo's. As he got older he ate small mice, and then as he aged he ate small rats. Live.

While I never got any pleasure out of watching the experience, it was a lesson on the circle of life.

Are we pissed at Lions for eating some Gazelle on the plains of Africa? Do we complain about the fish or seals or whatever a shark eats in the wild?

Unless the guy was unnecessarily cruel about it, and from the store it does not seem so, it seems the dog would pass anyway, the how can we be mad?

Now, if there was any unnecessary suffering just let me know, and I"ll grab a torch and pitchfork and march with you guys.

Other than that, Life is fucking cruel guys. It is the nature of the beast. That is a lesson not taught and seemingly forgotten today. Some days you are the windshield and some days you really are the bug, and there is no forgiveness, not give backs, and no feeling.

I despise people who go out of their way to be unfair, or cruel. But it is also folly to refuse to acknowledge the cruelty that is inherent to life. It is a sign of goodness to both accept and truly know the difference between the two.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Man and dog have formed a special partnership well beyond them being mere pets or livestock. As such, dogs are owed special consideration and respect.

This was not appropriate.

On the other hand, if it had been a damn cat...

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.wishtv.com/news/cr...shoot-dog/1687319475

EDINBURGH, Ind. (WISH) -- Authorities in Johnson County arrested a man they say shot a dog right through its heart. It happened Sunday afternoon at Camp Atterbury.

The images authorities captured of the dead beagle are so troubling that News 8 blurred them.

"It was shot through the chest by a high-powered rifle," said Mike Delp, director of Johnson County Animal Control. He continued, "Apparently the heart itself was blown out of the animal's chest."

On Friday, Kang Zhuang faced animal torture charges. Investigators said he was hunting out of season. Zhuang allegedly told police that he meant to shoot a pheasant when he accidentally shot the dog. A DNR officer was nearby and allegedly witnessed the whole incident. The officer said there were no pheasants around at the time of the shooting.

When questioned, Zhuang also allegedly told officers the dog belonged to him. But authorities said the same dog had been spotted in the area the day before. The dog did not have tags or a microchip.

Delp said he hasn't seen an animal torture case in more than a year.

"Beagles are particularly friendly, good with kids typically, excitable. They like a lot of interaction with human beings," said Delp.

Delp believes the dog was around 6 months old, so possibly still a puppy. He is not sure why Zhuang allegedly shot the dog, but he said he wants the man to pay for his actions.

"It's rough. It's pretty heart-wrenching," said Delp.

The dog was taken to Purdue University, where a necropsy will be performed to determine if the dog is wild or domestic. The case has been handed over to the Johnson County Prosecutor's Office, which will make a final charging decision.

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Hunting pheasant with a “high powered rifle”. Alllrighty. Roll Eyes

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
A “Lab” puppy that small was probably too young to survive without its mother or some kind of special care, which I doubt was being provided by pervo. This sick jackass could have easily gone to the grocery store and bought a pound of hamburger for the damn turtle to eat. It strikes me as odd that he was having kids who weren’t in his class by to talk, letting them hold a living puppy, then trying to feed the pup to a snake, then to a snapper. Really odd. In a bad way. I don’t believe he should be allowed to be around children.

No kidding. That’s a special kind of creepy. The whole situation was inhumane. Yes, we buy PURPOSE BRED animals as food for our reptile pets, and feed them live (rodents, guppies, etc)- animals that we typically don’t attach such emotional significance to- I’m truly not sure that a snapper would eat ground hamburger.. and I’m not trying to say there aren’t people who keep rats and mice as pets, but nowhere near the scale of dog and cats.

I’m guessing this puppy wasn’t bred to be food here in the U.S. Moreover, how many folks pass around the live food to be petted and loved on before tossing it into a tank and watching another creature drown it before eating it? ESPECIALLY after it’s been offered up as a PET to one of the students? Uh uh. Talk about messing with their emotions. That shouldn’t have been done around kids, this was not a teachable moment, imho, and the pup could’ve been euthanized on the spot by the quick pull of a knife across its throat before being fed out. More humane than drowning and terrifying it in the process.

This guy bears watching around children.

ETA: and the creature whose life he wanted to extend by feeding the pup to it, the turtle, was taken and euthanized (humanely, lucky thing) by the Dept of Ag because he had no permit for it (and kept it in a public school, no less, lol.. fast and loose, this guy- the rules don’t apply).

So 2 creatures lost by his actions. I hope they take the snakes and lizards out of his class as well.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Now, I'm the biggest dog lover we have here on the forum... And i won't tell stories that could get me indicted that justify that...

How is this different from the guys who walk into the "pet" store that sells snakes, monitor lizards, or similar animals and sell live rats or live mice or live crickets as feed for the snake or other reptile?

When I was in 7th Grade i had a good teacher. Mr. Pointer. He still wore, in the mid 90's a Luke Skywalker haircut, drove a 1982 Camaro with rust, and lived with his mom. But he was a smart man and a damn fine teacher.

We had a few class pets, including a Monitor Lizard. His name was Lars (after Lars Ulrich of Metallica, his favorite band). Lars ate mice. As a baby lizard he ate mouse or rat embroyo's. As he got older he ate small mice, and then as he aged he ate small rats. Live.

While I never got any pleasure out of watching the experience, it was a lesson on the circle of life.

Are we pissed at Lions for eating some Gazelle on the plains of Africa? Do we complain about the fish or seals or whatever a shark eats in the wild?

Unless the guy was unnecessarily cruel about it, and from the store it does not seem so, it seems the dog would pass anyway, the how can we be mad?

Now, if there was any unnecessary suffering just let me know, and I"ll grab a torch and pitchfork and march with you guys.

Other than that, Life is fucking cruel guys. It is the nature of the beast. That is a lesson not taught and seemingly forgotten today. Some days you are the windshield and some days you really are the bug, and there is no forgiveness, not give backs, and no feeling.

I despise people who go out of their way to be unfair, or cruel. But it is also folly to refuse to acknowledge the cruelty that is inherent to life. It is a sign of goodness to both accept and truly know the difference between the two.

Took the word right out of my mouth. Couldn't have said it better.

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Report This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
quote:

Took the word right out of my mouth. Couldn't have said it better.

Ever been almost drowned? No need for that to have happened here. I would’ve been mildly disgusted but accepted it if he’d euth’d the pup and then fed it out privately without an audience. A dog is a cherished creature in our society, and not the typical prey of a snapper. If he’d put a fish in there, I’m all for it. Circle of life, etc.

"Trust, but verify."

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
This teacher did not feed a puppy to a snapping turtle. He allowed the turtle to kill it by drowning it.

Any snapping turtle of the size that could be kept in a classroom is going to be too small to do anything else but torture the dog to death.

And for a snapping turtle to eat a mammal, the mammal would have to be small enough to swallow whole, or it would have to fester in the water long enough to be easily picked apart by the turtle.

Nope, he didn't "feed" the dog to anything. He took delight in seeing it drowned to death by a turtle. I have no doubt he took the dog out afterwards and threw it in the trash.

I'm no fan of people that elevate animals to the same level as people. But unethical, cruel treatment of animals usually is indicative of someone who has the same feelings towards humans. The man appears very sick, indeed.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how anyone can say that was not cruel. No disrespect to Kevin, but that was a classroom in Idaho, not the plains of the Serengeti or the Arctic Sea. If that pup was his, he had (IMHO) the obligation to either care for it or end its suffering. There are any number of ways that pup could have been put down that would have been quick or painless, most of them pretty low cost.

If Crosland felt he needed to help the snapping turtle, maybe he ought to release it from its classroom prison.

As for feeding mice to reptiles...most of us don't have that innate connection to rodents. Dogs do hold a special place in most cultures on this planet.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

You read the story?

You see no difference between a lion and gazelle in their natural habitat and a teacher placing a sick, dying puppy in a tank with a snapping turtle to be grabbed at and drowned?

You said "unnecessarily cruel" and "unnecessary suffering" in relation to the man's actions and manner of the puppy's death respectively. If you've read the article and don't see a problem, then you must believe the opposite of what you said to be true: the man was necessarily cruel and the puppy necessarily suffered. I hold neither of these to be true. This was not the only method the man had nor the one the produced the least suffering in dealing with the sickly, dying puppy.

I agree with those who think the guy had no business being around children.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had this thought as well. No one would arrest someone for feeding live mice to a snake.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

I had this thought as well. No one would arrest someone for feeding live mice to a snake.

I'd feed your children to wolves. It's just nature taking its course.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m wondering if the people that can’t grasp how wrong this is have ever owned a dog. Dogs have most of the same emotions that people do and have earned their place in the world as a far higher being than a rodent.

There is zero reason to have such an animal suffer more than it has to intentionally.

One thing I’m no longer wondering is how this stuff still happens.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps it is the difference between dogs/puppies and rats?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
I'd feed your children to wolves. It's just nature taking its course.

That's a ridiculous comparison, and you know it. Anthropomorphize much?

I'm actually rather shocked at the vast majority of responses here, especially when comparing it to some of the responses to the hunting with dogs thread awhile back when some advocated just shooting the dogs. I see emotional responses to this thread, that we continually rail against here, only because it's a cute little puppy, and not a rodent, a hog, a deer, or some other nuisance animal.

I'll have to side with Kevin and the very few others who don't have that big of a problem with this. What if the teacher had tossed a rodent in the tank? Would the outrage still be there? I think not.

This is life and death and sometimes it's ugly. These kids were taught a valuable lesson in my opinion, and it seems from the article that even they didn't have that big of a problem with it.

Would I have done it were I the teacher? I don't know, but I suspect I might have tried to think of a better way to teach that lesson. Either way, it was taught, learned, and life goes on.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Mice are purpose bred as food here, same as cows, etc. Dogs (kept as pets, and this one, treated with love right before tossing him in a death trap) typically are not. Most decent animal caretakers don’t allow drowning of animals before feeding them out.
I’ve worked in a fairly wide variety of animal facilities- enough to recognize this is ethically wrong.

"Trust, but verify."

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It was shot through the chest by a high-powered rifle," said Mike Delp, director of Johnson County Animal Control. He continued, "Apparently the heart itself was blown out of the animal's chest."

On Friday, Kang Zhuang faced animal torture charges. Investigators said he was hunting out of season. Zhuang allegedly told police that he meant to shoot a pheasant when he accidentally shot the dog. A DNR officer was nearby and allegedly witnessed the whole incident. The officer said there were no pheasants around at the time of the shooting.

I grew up hunting, pheasants among the other game animals. At no point did anyone where I lived and grew up hunt pheasants, or other birds, with a high powered rifle!

This turd that shot the dog needs to spend some quality time with big bubba.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I grew up hunting, pheasants among the other game animals. At no point did anyone where I lived and grew up hunt pheasants, or other birds, with a high powered rifle!

I've shot grouse with a variety of high powered rifles whilst out hunting other things and wouldn't hesitate to take a pheasant the same way.

That said...I think Mr. Zhuang was bullshitting the game warden.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post