SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teacher who fed puppy to snapping turtle found not guilty of animal cruelty
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Teacher who fed puppy to snapping turtle found not guilty of animal cruelty Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I'm going to be upfront and admit that while usually rational, I have no interest in being rational about this and seeing opposing views.

So you're a Leftist?

Because that is the crux of their argument about, well, pick a topic.

You're offended, your values are incensed, so you won't engage?

You're a Leftist.

If you're going to shut down everyone else on the grounds of moral outrage, you're no better than the fringe of the right, and the very upset blue "wave" of our nation right now.

We rarely disagree, my friend. I don't think you really see "support" for what this man did, in this thread.

But, if you've found an excuse to shut down avenues of discussion or debate, you've created a microcosm of the "strategy" of the left.

Life, on almost any level, isn't black and white, or black and red if you have that kind of chess board.

We try to do right as we live our lives. But, if I can quote:

"Life is pain, princess.....anyone who says differently is selling something."

Am I an apologist, a realist, or an accomplice? Where should we file everyone who responds here? As friend or enemy? Is that distinction actually necessary?

Yep, I'm a lefty, alright.

Lefty's always insist that we have to have a "conversation" about gun control or any other topic. They insist that we must have "compromise". That conversation is never a conversation, and the compromise is never a compromise.

Pick a topic. Insist that we must have a discussion. That we must coexist and have tolerance for things that sicken us, instead of standing by a moral and ethical position that is doing the right thing. If that makes me a lefty, well so be it. If other people's moral compasses are so screwed up that they can't see it, we surely have nothing to discuss. The left is always driven by emotion. I am driven by a little, apparently quaint belief that we don't conduct ourselves like sadistic fucks in the name of anything. We show mercy and compassion. Even as we hunt and kill animals for food. We don't let a deer suffer after being shot for food. We put down all sorts of animals struck by automobiles because we show compassion, and hopefully we will be shown compassion.

I have nothing to discuss, and have nothing to compromise on this topic on. If you want to call me names, so be it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe, just maybe, the reason this guy has so much community support is because his students finish the year with a excellent biology education

Or maybe, just maybe, they finish the year with excellent grades. There is a distinct difference. The guy is teaching cruelty.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Modern society has elevated the status of dogs to an abnormal level.

I wouldn't have done what this guy did but I have humanely dispatched dogs in my life.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Maybe, just maybe, the reason this guy has so much community support is because his students finish the year with a excellent biology education

Or maybe, just maybe, they finish the year with excellent grades. There is a distinct difference. The guy is teaching cruelty.

You have no clue about the education his students receive. None what so ever. I think the community is in a far better position to judge. Anybody know how long he's taught in the school district? Anybody know how some of his students have on their SATs or ACTs? I know I don't but let's not let any of that get in the way of making a decision.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Apparently many of his fellow citizens totally disagree with the most of the emotional responses found in this thread. Link I wonder why? Is the entire county puppy haters? Do they have some inside info the emos here don't have?

Emos? Gonna take that road, huh? Fuck you, you ass-douche.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin Yep, emos.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
I'm going to be upfront and admit that while usually rational, I have no interest in being rational about this and seeing opposing views.

So you're a Leftist?

Because that is the crux of their argument about, well, pick a topic.

You're offended, your values are incensed, so you won't engage?

You're a Leftist.

If you're going to shut down everyone else on the grounds of moral outrage, you're no better than the fringe of the right, and the very upset blue "wave" of our nation right now.

We rarely disagree, my friend. I don't think you really see "support" for what this man did, in this thread.

But, if you've found an excuse to shut down avenues of discussion or debate, you've created a microcosm of the "strategy" of the left.

Life, on almost any level, isn't black and white, or black and red if you have that kind of chess board.

We try to do right as we live our lives. But, if I can quote:

"Life is pain, princess.....anyone who says differently is selling something."

Am I an apologist, a realist, or an accomplice? Where should we file everyone who responds here? As friend or enemy? Is that distinction actually necessary?

Yep, I'm a lefty, alright.

Lefty's always insist that we have to have a "conversation" about gun control or any other topic. They insist that we must have "compromise". That conversation is never a conversation, and the compromise is never a compromise.

Pick a topic. Insist that we must have a discussion. That we must coexist and have tolerance for things that sicken us, instead of standing by a moral and ethical position that is doing the right thing. If that makes me a lefty, well so be it. If other people's moral compasses are so screwed up that they can't see it, we surely have nothing to discuss. The left is always driven by emotion. I am driven by a little, apparently quaint belief that we don't conduct ourselves like sadistic fucks in the name of anything. We show mercy and compassion. Even as we hunt and kill animals for food. We don't let a deer suffer after being shot for food. We put down all sorts of animals struck by automobiles because we show compassion, and hopefully we will be shown compassion.

I have nothing to discuss, and have nothing to compromise on this topic on. If you want to call me names, so be it.

Ok, so when the left takes up the shining armor you're so eager to don, are you going to criticize them for it?

I would hope so, as their moral outrage is the backbone of their arguments against most everything these days.

I'm not calling _you_ anything. I'm pointing out the flaw in your argument. One that is worth noting, if we're to combat the left with logic and reason.

A flaming sword and white horse, and all the moral outrage one can muster, is just an opinion, and that is all it is worth. You're welcome to yours, you have to live with everyone else.

If it is worth more than that, then you've given the left more power than they deserve. Few swords have only one edge.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Prior to posting, I did some research in Preston ID Public Schools. Most ratings are middling. Nothing at all about excellence in science or biology classes that I could find. Community support? Preston has a population of 5K. This thread has 2.4K views and most postings do not favor the teachers actions. Does this teacher have support or what passes for support these days, a vocal minority?
If in fact he is well supported, then he has found his niche in Preston.
And IBTL.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You have no clue about the education his students receive. None what so ever. I think the community is in a far better position to judge. Anybody know how long he's taught in the school district? Anybody know how some of his students have on their SATs or ACTs? I know I don't but let's not let any of that get in the way of making a decision.

You're the one that made suppositions first, not me. Now you're furthering it by suggesting you have a clue that somehow he provides excellent teaching? Lets remember that, shall we?
The guy is a major douchebag. He allowed children to play and handle a puppy prior to tossing it into a tank with a snapping turtle. Do people let children handle mice and rats, play with them prior to feeding to snakes or any other predator? Keep defending the douchebag.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The tools of the left are the problem. Among them is moral outrage. It's worth taking note and not resting on it as the entirety of an argument for or against anything. If it's not enough for them to buttress their arguments, why is it ours?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think the teacher was wrong to dispose of a domestic animal the way he did. That is the city boy in me talking. I have personally witness rancher types put down loyal herding dogs for becoming egg suckers and chicken killers. Walk right up, draw a pistol and blow its brains out right there in the field. That shocked me and I never looked at the rancher the same after that.

The reason I introduced their mentality to the topic is that members of this board were advocating terrible things be done to this teacher. Horrible torturous things. As if the value of the puppy's life were greater than that of a human life......even one so callous. I hoped presenting a new perspective could offer a little more balance and quell the emotional reaction.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I think the teacher was wrong to dispose of a domestic animal the way he did. That is the city boy in me talking. I have personally witness rancher types put down loyal herding dogs for becoming egg suckers and chicken killers. Walk right up, draw a pistol and blow its brains out right there in the field. That shocked me and I never looked at the rancher the same after that.

The reason I introduced their mentality to the topic is that members of this board were advocating terrible things be done to this teacher. Horrible torturous things. As if the value of the puppy's life were greater than that of a human life......even one so callous. I hoped presenting a new perspective could offer a little more balance and quell the emotional reaction.

There are persons who's lives are not worth the value of a puppy's. Stalin, Charles Manson, any child rapist, etc. However, value is subjective. One man's trash and all that.

Personally, I value a dog's life over many so-called humans.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Arc, Kevin, Darth, Jhe and whomever else made those points are indeed correct.

I love my dogs, more than most humans. And upon first read this story sickened me, and I continue to believe there are aspects of it that are simply wrong, legal status aside.

But I'm also honest with myself and others such that I can acknowledge they're right when they are, and they are. Dogs being thought of differently is a purely subjective notion, driven by emotion and habit, not some inherent aspect of dogs that makes them special.

I have lots of compassion, and I employ it equally when I stop and think about it. My friends who love their cats, hamsters, snakes, and more love them like I love my dogs, and for that matter I've loved cats I've owned equally as well.

The poor sick puppy wasn't tortured, and at the end of the day it may have suffered one minute longer than if it had been euthanized by injection at your local vet. And now that my own initial emotion driven response has cool a bit, I also realize these harsh realities.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Bytes:

You're the one that made suppositions first, not me. Now you're furthering it by suggesting you have a clue that somehow he provides excellent teaching?

I'm saying I don't have any idea about his quality of teaching. See bold text above. Nor do any of us. I am not saying anyone here has a wrong opinion. I am saying many here have strong opinions not based on fact because we're talking about a puppy, man's best friend. It would be the same if it were a kitten. I think we ought to know more about the guy before ruining him on the internet, banishing him from contacts with children, or destroying his career until more is known. Fuck his community though, they're uneducated Idaho idiots that believe in guns, work, and small government. Total jerks.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe, just maybe, the reason this guy has so much community support is because his students finish the year with a excellent biology education. FYI, that's why they are in his classroom

Your words. Exactly. You left them off of your original statement. By all means, try and take the high road by more supposition that he is good because the people of Idaho lean right. You also left off the information from page 1 of this thread. The douchebag let children handle and play with a puppy (claimed to be sick but who really knows?) before tossing it into the water filled tank. In front of the same children. Again, defend the douchebag.

posted Hide Post
As Yooper has pointed out above - it appears most of the community does not support the teacher's actions. Apparently the news article supplied by Bytes has the usual Left-wing bias and made up statistics.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I witnessed a similar incident. Very hard to watch. The farmer told me there was only one cure for an egg sucking dog, that was death. I was 10 at the time and was really sad. My dad explained to me that the dog was stealing money from the farmer. It was. I did not have a hard time talking to the farmer after my dad and I had a talk. Thanks for your post darth.

posted Hide Post
Comparing the actions of the farmer in Darth's post to what this teacher did is an apples to something very much different from apples. Not at all alike or similar in any way.

Farmer's dog: formed a bad and possibly costly habit of eating farmer's chicken eggs. Farmer does quick kill of dog.

Teacher's puppy: did nothing against anyone/anything; may or may not have been ill; teacher gave puppy a prolonged and fearful death.

One of the things that bothers me most about what the teacher did is the terror he put the puppy through. We know dogs have emotions. Put yourself in the place of the dog - already fearful of unknown surroundings, strange people handling you, then hit with the stark terror of being forced underwater and struggling to breathe and survive.

But, yeah, those are the hallmarks of a great educator.

posted Hide Post
quote:
As Yooper has pointed out above - it appears most of the community does not support the teacher's actions. Apparently the news article supplied by Bytes has the usual Left-wing bias and made up statistics.

Didn't Yooper say

quote:

Prior to posting, I did some research in Preston ID Public Schools. Most ratings are middling. Nothing at all about excellence in science or biology classes that I could find. Community support? Preston has a population of 5K. This thread has 2.4K views and most postings do not favor the teachers actions. Does this teacher have support or what passes for support these days, a vocal minority?
And IBTL.

?

It seems like he's hanging shit on the Franklin county population. The article I'm quoting comes from the Idaho State Journal. Pocatello's paper. Hardly a New York Times of south east Idaho. It seems like he is comparing this thread to Franklin county yet he couldn't give a stat on who favors disagrees with the teachers actions in this thread. Who's making up stats here marksman? I don't know who is right. I won't let puppy emotion get in the way of making a decision. DO.YOU.GET.THAT?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Didn't Yooper say

quote:

And IBTL.

?

It seems like he's hanging shit on the Franklin county population. The article I'm quoting comes from the Idaho State Journal. Pocatello's paper. Hardly a New York Times of south east Idaho. It seems like he is comparing this thread to Franklin county yet he couldn't give a stat on who favors disagrees with the teachers actions in this thread. Who's making up stats here marksman? I don't know who is right. I won't let puppy emotion get in the way of making a decision. DO.YOU.GET.THAT?

And your statistic on exactly how many support the teacher is what again?

posted Hide Post
quote:
And your statistic on exactly how many support the teacher is what again?

Original Link

quote:

Morse pointed out that Franklin County, as of March 1, 2017, had a population of 6,148 registered voters. He then said that if the 3,910 Change.org petition supporters are registered voters they would represent over 63.5 percent of the jury pool, which “means that it is likely that nearly two thirds” of potential jurors in the case “support (Crosland) and stand behind his actions.”

Again, that is from the left wing rag printed in Pocatello, Idaho (about sixty miles from Franklin county). New York Times - WestBig Grin

Don't worry they're just a bunch of uneducated, hard working, gun loving, small town, Christian hicks. I'm sure you know much more than the jury and the community.