SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    POLITICO Exclusive: Supreme Court Has Voted to Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLITICO Exclusive: Supreme Court Has Voted to Overturn Abortion Rights, Draft Opinion Shows Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^John Roberts... Roll Eyes
I'm not sure that Chief Justice Roberts' role in the Obamacare incident was political--I lean more to personal blackmail concerning his adoption of a kid under less than questionable legal circumstances.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
I'm not sure that Chief Justice Roberts' role in the Obamacare incident was political--I lean more to personal blackmail concerning his adoption of a kid under less than questionable legal circumstances.
Show me proof. Right here, in this thread, show me proof.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Y'know, it's just possible Roberts made the decision he made simply because he believed it was the correct decision. Not "because of the mob." Not "because of politics." Not "because somebody's got something on him" or "because somebody got to him." Just because he thought that was the correct decision.

Maybe, just maybe, Roberts simply isn't the judge GWB thought he was? (Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.) Or maybe he is and what the Court got was what GWB wanted the Court to get?

Why must so many people believe the absolute worst of anybody with whom they disagree?

I sit here, more-or-less in the middle (well, much more right than left, these days, because the left has moved so far left) and see both sides doing the same things. The other side is completely out to lunch. Their motives and motivations entirely suspect, if not downright evil. Everybody on the other side is out to destroy the American Way Of Life.

I'm reminded of Justices Scalia and Ginsberg. Polar opposites on the Bench, but respected one another and got along with one another famously.

I wish more people were like them Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
That's our Governor

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...assist-if-necessary/

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, a Republican, is aware of the protests at U.S. Supreme Court Justices’s homes and has ordered Virginia State Police to monitor them and provide assistance if necessary, a spokeswoman for the governor told Breitbart News.

“The governor is aware and Virginia State Police will monitor the situation,” Macaulay Porter, Youngkin’s spokeswoman, said in a statement. “VSP will assist federal and local law enforcement as needed to ensure the safety of our citizens, including Supreme Court justices, who call Virginia home.”

Three U.S. Supreme Court Justices—Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Amy Coney Barrett—live in Virginia. A leftist group called “Ruth Sent Us” this week called for protests at the homes of the Justices. On Thursday evening, pro-life protesters thanking Alito appeared outside his home after the leftist group revealed the addresses of the six Justices appointed by GOP presidents online. The Ruth Sent Us organization announced on its website plans for a “walk-by” of the Justices’ homes—the three in Virginia as well as the Maryland homes of Justices Brett Kavanaugh, John Roberts, and Neil Gorsuch—on Wednesday, May 11.

The protests come in the wake of Politico publishing a leaked copy of a draft opinion that it says five of the high court’s Justices agreed to that would overturn Roe V. Wade, the decades-old highly controversial early 1970s decision that on a wide scale legalized abortion in America.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think Roberts really thought the Obamacare mandate was really a tax. I think his intent was to put the pile of shit that is the ACA back to Congress and saying "you fix it".

In some ways I agree with the point that it is not the job of the Supreme Court to clean up bad legislation.

R v. W was a bad decision based on very strained legal reasoning. The Court may very well tell Congress "it's up to you to legislate the legality of abortion, not us, do your job and stop asking us to do it for you." Or they may let it stand. We won't know until the decision is announced.

Could he have done this in a better way with Obamacare? Sure he could have struck down the mandate and fine and left the rest of it in place. Then it would be up to Congress to figure out how to fund it. The constitutional question was the mandate, and the use of a fine to enforce it.

I don't think he bends to activist pressure. I think he thinks too much about his legacy and the image of the court.

But again, this is all speculation. He is pissed that someone leaked the draft decision written a few months ago in an effort to pressure the Court to uphold R v. W. Let's see if they find the leaker and what the punishment is. Termination and permanent disbarment is the minimum in my opinion.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
“The governor is aware and Virginia State Police will monitor the situation,” Macaulay Porter, Youngkin’s spokeswoman, said in a statement. “VSP will assist federal and local law enforcement as needed to ensure the safety of our citizens, including Supreme Court justices, who call Virginia home.”

A screenshot of a now deleted tweet. I sincerely hope the Secret Service visits this asshole.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^But you see, he has the blue and yellow flag next to his name, so you know he's a good person.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think he bends to activist pressure. I think he thinks too much about his legacy and the image of the court.

That is, at best, a very fine line, isn't it?

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
What is the significance of abortion rights activists staging protests at Catholic Churches on Mother's Day?

Isn't abortion about NOT being a Mother? These leftists/liberals/progressives get more absurd every day.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Interesting real life trolley problem in American now. If you had the chance to take a baseball bat to the un-American schmuck across the street who truly believes that violence is the answer, should you do it while pro-American police are so busy with other things that they wouldn't be available to investigate?

It's interesting as an abstract question, but becomes a real conundrum if, say, you're simply bored and have little to lose yourself, but know that it could save your country in the future.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Clarence Thomas references Roe v. Wade draft opinion leak, says Supreme Court can't be 'bullied'

"We can't be an institution that can be bullied into giving you just the outcomes you want. The events from earlier this week are a symptom of that."

Chief Justice John Roberts spoke at the same conference Thursday, where he called the leak "absolutely appalling." The justice went on to dismiss any question that the leak would affect the Supreme Court's final decision.

"A leak of this stature is absolutely appalling," Roberts said. "If the person behind it thinks that it will affect our work, that’s just foolish."

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The left engages in violence. Famous people talked about killing President Trump. They rioted during the majority of 2020. Now they talk of killing SCOTUS justices. They ALWAYS talk of revolution and "burning it down to the ground" but they cannot for the life of them manage anything well, except propaganda.

But OMG it is white men in MAGA hats that are the biggest threat to the country.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:

But OMG it is white men in MAGA hats that are the biggest threat to the country.

Perhaps they view us white men in MAGA hats as a threat because we tend to be armed patriots who push back and will not be bullied

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:

That is, at best, a very fine line, isn't it?

I wouldn't disagree with that. But I think his focus is internal rather than external.

Perhaps we should just look at the reality. Congress will never be able to pass abortion legislation. Not without a democrat super majority in the Senate or nuking the filibuster. If R v W is overturned then some states will more or less ban abortion, and some will stay the same as they are now or make it even easier. If Roberts is the deciding vote then HE will go down in history as the man who effectively banned abortion in red states. Is he willing to be that guy? Some would say he is not.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:

Perhaps they view us white men in MAGA hats as a threat because we tend to be armed patriots who push back and will not be bullied

Yes we are the biggest threat to "their democracy" meaning single party democrat control of everything.

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Heard a news clip with Peter Doocy saying that attempting to intimidate a judge with ongoing proceedings with the intent to influence the outcome is a felony.

Tried to look it up online and the closest thing I found was jury tampering with a punishment of up to 10 yrs.

I hope Youngkin lays the wood to these fuckos.

quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
That's our Governor

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...assist-if-necessary/

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, a Republican, is aware of the protests at U.S. Supreme Court Justices’s homes and has ordered Virginia State Police to monitor them and provide assistance if necessary, a spokeswoman for the governor told Breitbart News.

Three U.S. Supreme Court Justices—Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Amy Coney Barrett—live in Virginia. A leftist group called “Ruth Sent Us” this week called for protests at the homes of the Justices. On Thursday evening, pro-life protesters thanking Alito appeared outside his home after the leftist group revealed the addresses of the six Justices appointed by GOP presidents online. The Ruth Sent Us organization announced on its website plans for a “walk-by” of the Justices’ homes—the three in Virginia as well as the Maryland homes of Justices Brett Kavanaugh, John Roberts, and Neil Gorsuch—on Wednesday, May 11.

The protests come in the wake of Politico publishing a leaked copy of a draft opinion that it says five of the high court’s Justices agreed to that would overturn Roe V. Wade, the decades-old highly controversial early 1970s decision that on a wide scale legalized abortion in America.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
If Roberts is the deciding vote then HE will go down in history as the man who effectively banned abortion in red states. Is he willing to be that guy? Some would say he is not.

Yes, I am one who would say that he is not. The future is all speculation and therefore nothing but a guessing game. But the past is fact. I'm not a lawyer, but I read the relevant sections of the Constitution on Obamacare, and the the prohibition against the government requiring citizens to purchase anything. That he would then actually go forward on the transparent pretext that it was a TAX, showed me very clearly that... he will do basically anything. The Constitution has little bearing on him. He is a timid, cowardly man, worried, as you say, about his legacy and the image of his court-- rather than upholding the Constitution.

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Show me proof. Right here, in this thread, show me proof.
Although this article does not offer conclusive proof, it does show that the issue has received considerable attention. In some circumstances it is not necessary to have proof, just strong innuendo, to affect how a person behaves.
https://freerepublic.com/focus...3856843/posts?page=1

I was merely stating that it's an issue that Justice Roberts would prefer to not have being brought up on a continuing basis.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I think this is 100% right. And his legacy with the court is going to one highlighted by complete cowardice. His position on BarryCare was one of refusing to do the job the court is entrusted with, and contorting/translating the mandate into something that did not exist, but something that would allow him to punt on the issue. I may not have liked Breyer, but at least he was steadfast in his believes and positions which I can at least respect. Short of his legacy, I can't see anything that Roberts stands for. That one fact means I have zero respect for the man, and will believe nothing that falls out of his mouth.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I think Clarise Feldman is one of our sharpest political commentators. This is an excerpt from her most recent column regarding the attempt to bully the Supreme Court:

"Unfortunately, the idea that such tactics work can, in my view, be laid at the feet of Justice Roberts himself. In the face of ginned-up public support in the major media for Obama and ObamaCare, he clearly changed his mind on the constitutionality of the mandate in ObamaCare, calling it a tax -- something that “every lower court that heard the health-care cases rejected.” Something that the Congress rejected -- having explicitly called it a “regulatory penalty.”

It was widely believed at the time that Roberts did this legal macarena because he was cowed by the fear of the crowd. And as the Wall Street Journal observed at the time, there is evidence of his shake and shimmy in the opinion itself:

One telling note is that the dissent refers repeatedly to "Justice Ginsburg's dissent" and "the dissent" on the mandate, but of course they should be referring to Ruth Bader Ginsburg's concurrence. This wording and other sources suggest that there was originally a 5-4 majority striking down at least part of ObamaCare, but then the Chief Justice changed his mind.

The Justices may never confirm this informed speculation. But if it is true, this is far more damaging to the Court's institutional integrity that the Chief Justice is known to revere than any ruling against ObamaCare. The political class and legal left conducted an extraordinary campaign to define such a decision as partisan and illegitimate. If the Chief Justice capitulated to this pressure, it shows the Court can be intimidated and swayed from its constitutional duties. If this was a play to compete with John Marshall's legacy, the result is closer to William Brennan's.

Every kid on the playgrounds I grew up on knew that if you showed fear before bullies, they’d be stealing your lunch money next. Roberts' inexplicable kowtow on ObamaCare in my view only encouraged more of these bullying tactics today."

https://www.americanthinker.co...y_get_that_idea.html