SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Went to get cat food and litter and they didn’t have the large bag like I normally get so I bought some smaller bags. The usual tidy cat was out so I’m trying some store brand.

Broccoli prices are up too.

I was told if I wanted new car tires for spring to order them soon. My car should make it till next summer. They’re all around 6/32

I haven’t heard of any tire shortages from anyone.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Ironically one thing that’s back in stock as food shelves start to go bare is ammo. Just ordered a case of 250 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 9mm and saw that they are bare brass cased now and not nickel plated. They said the nickel plating material is in short supply/backordered and this ammo will not be nickel plated any more for the foreseeable future.

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing really in short supply for now , but prices are up on gas and groceries .

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am stocking up on loose change. Big Grin

Food is going to be the obvious next target for the powers-that-be. (once they are done demolishing healthcare and travel) I just picked up an upright freezer for the garage to store extra beef/chicken. (and yes, bacon too)

posted Hide Post
While occasional items at the grocery store are gone for a month or so, they have mostly come back. Grocery prices at Aldi and other places just this week prices for many items increased including meat, cheese, snack items like chips, and canned food. Instead of the typical 5% increases, many of these items went up 20% to 40% this week.

The big local news from our electrical/gas utility is that our cost for natural gas will be increasing from 46% to 96%. Double heating costs this winter is going to be hard for many people.

Posts: 2357 | Registered: October 24, 2007Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
The big local news from our electrical/gas utility is that our cost for natural gas will be increasing from 46% to 96%. Double heating costs this winter is going to be hard for many people.

Is that not somewhat normal for NG? With propane there are summer and winter prices that are sometimes wildly different. I've never had NG, so I'm curious.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Picture of xaircav
posted Hide Post
Lately I can find my favorite beverage: Coke in 12oz glass bottles made in Mexico with cane sugar. Used to find cases of 24 at Costco and Home Depot for about $22.00.

I have flown among the trees and looked into the face of the enemy.

posted Hide Post
It's getting real bad around here (NC). Liquor store shelves are BARE!!! (all liquor is bought at state stores here in NC)

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you not have supplier choice where you live?

In PA we can pick our electric and NG supplier and I saw this all coming and locked in recently for 2 years for both electric and NG at a decent price.

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Wasp killer in the big spray can. Could not find it anywhere

Posts: 496 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
Wasp killer in the big spray can. Could not find it anywhere

Real cheap and available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002...arkle_mcd_asin_1_img

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Do you not have supplier choice where you live?

In PA we can pick our electric and NG supplier and I saw this all coming and locked in recently for 2 years for both electric and NG at a decent price.

No supplier choice in my area and no way to lock in prices. If you want electric/gas service, you pay whatever they charge.

Update: looking at a few other news articles, this isn't a normal seasonal change.

"As temperatures begin to drop, MidAmerican Energy, Iowa's largest power provider, is warning thousands of residential natural gas customers their winter heating bills could jump 46% to 96% over last year's due to rising costs.

Natural gas prices have more than doubled since this time last year because of reduced production and inventories and global demand, a news release from the Des Moines-based utility said Tuesday.

The news affects MidAmerican Energy's 602,000 natural gas customers in Iowa. Geoff Greenwood, MidAmerican's spokesman, said it doesn't expect an increase in heating bills this winter for its 704,000 electric customers."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bryan11,

Posts: 2357 | Registered: October 24, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Potato chips!
Empty shelving from various suppliers BUT , plenty of Frito Lay products last 2 weeks at Wallyworld. Friggin weird, 2 weeks!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Higher end bicycles. I'm in the market for a new mountain bike and damned if I can find anything in stock.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
Ordered some Tops Knives back in June. They’re still on back order due to a shortage of 1095 steel according to the response from customer service. Just-in-time supply of materials in manufacturing is terrific in terms of keeping inventory and overheads low but turns into a big cluster when the supply chain breaks down.

1095 steel is readily available. It is some of the least expensive high carbon steels you can purchase.

I like it a lot, and use it a lot - but it’s certainly not constrained right now.

Besides, those TOPs knives are a 1/4” thick and covered in the same gross schmoo as a Norton bombsight.

Strange big knife frankly… I know because I own one. Wink.

That was my thought as well on the availability of 1095. It's not like it's one of the new wonder-steels like MagnaCut. Part of it may be due to it being a new Tops design that I'm waiting on, the Storm Vector. Looks to be a beast.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Report This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
A lot of the shortages I see listed are due to steel being in short supply. This time last year fully finished cold roll was $550/ton, now upwards of $1,800/ton and in very short supply. Soon, if not already, the can will cost more than the food inside.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I work for an excavating contractor, we do site development and marine construction. We have a huge project going on and water/sewer pipe, fittings etc are in short supply apparently. We needed approximately 3 miles of 8 c900 pipe and wanted it delivered in installments and the supplier said either you take it all now or we are selling what you don’t take and can’t guarantee delivery of any other products…

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:
Originally posted by Pistolria:
Satin and semi gloss paint. Trying to get my house painted and it's out or hard to get everywhere right now locally.

If your seeing shortages in paint it’s because the binder (glue) that is being used is a very cheap one and not quality. Products that are primarily Poly Vinyls, Esters, Vinyl acrylics are being used. That’s way the majority of SW products are not available, even my company’s products that use them are in short supply, inexpensive ingredients. Try a higher quality product that uses 100% acrylics. Price does not equate to quality in the paint

snwghst, which brands of paint do you recommend that has 100% acrylics?

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Potato chips!
Empty shelving from various suppliers BUT , plenty of Frito Lay products last 2 weeks at Wallyworld. Friggin weird, 2 weeks!
. Frito-lay is big enough to absorbe higher cost potatoes for thier chips. I worked for them in the Peanut Carder years with high inflation.One year they raised prices twice to keep a profit margin,which helped my pocketbook also since I was paid by sales commission.I kept up with inflation and done pretty well. Not everyone is hurt by inflation but in the long run it’s not good for the people.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
So if I go to admiralsteel.com (Online blade materials store), 1095 steel is about $5.50/ft full retail. There might be eight dollars worth of steel in any of those knives.

But I really do like 1095. Can get wicked hard (but glass brittle prior to temper) and a awesome edge just from plain high carbon steel. Makes a pretty nice hamon as well as it is a shadow-hardening steel.

quote:

HR 1095 1/4 X 1-3/4" X 72" $32.04

HR 1095 1/4 X 2" X 72" $35.57

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post