SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Lots of varieties of soft drinks have been spotty or disappeared entirely. Especially diet, caffeine-free stuff (Don’t judge me! I just want some flavor without all the sugar and uppers!)

Lots of restaurants have had weird straws recently. Either unusual sizes or switching from one material to another.

There is other stuff that has been out of stock just because shipping made it prohibitive to send at the moment. Smaller board game manufacturers haven’t been able to cover the crazy shipping prices, so game stores have had really spotty stock. However, we are talking about products where the entire production run fits in one container so it is much easier to have all-or-nothing type situations.

- Bret

Posts: 2465 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Community Facebook group has posted dozens of pictures of empty cat food shelves. Is cat food made domestically or another China product?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Cat food

I blame increasing worry about food security among seniors for this one.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Community Facebook group has posted dozens of pictures of empty cat food shelves. Is cat food made domestically or another China product?

This is a Soylent Green moment waiting to happen.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I'm in the middle of a remodel. It was a nightmare finding high quality prefinished hardwood flooring that we could get in less than six months.

That sucks. It's embarrassing actually, that the US of A can't supply it's own citizens with real wood flooring. Good gawd.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
Kellog's Cracklin Oat Bran. Can't find it anywhere.

About six weeks ago the stock of Kellogg’s Club Crackers at both of my main grocery stores became spotty too.

And the stock of Kellogg’s Club crackers at both of my main grocery stores continues to be spotty. Very strange – WHY? Crackers have no exotic or rare ingredients. Just wheat, salt, and other basic ingredients.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ball canning lids- the traditional steel ones. Not a one to be had anywhere. Bought some plastic ones to fill in.

Cars and trucks. Sold my 4 wheel drive Ford truck for a crapload, then turn around and see it later for sale on a factory ford lot at an even higher price! They were asking $7,000 more than I paid for it brand new 5 years earlier. Crazy. Suspect it's like ammo prices and will crater soon enough.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Ball canning lids
They're sold in pairs, right?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Ball canning lids

I don't know Para. The wife always bought it before. She gave up and said, "pick up some canning jar lids will ya". (Mason jars). I think the flat tops come in a pack of a bunch and so do the spinning round parts but don't know for certain. We're scrounging old lids now which is fine if you are harvesting basil and making pesto and putting in the fridge to eat in the next week, but you can't can it, put it on the shelf and ignore it which is what I think she wants to do. .

So I tried but they don't have any.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ball canning lids- the traditional steel ones. Not a one to be had anywhere. Bought some plastic ones to fill in.

Try an internet search for “Bulk Canning Lids”. Check Lehman’s too. Berlin packaging dot com is normally an excellent source, but they’re been over run the last couple of years. When you buy, buy in bulk, and buy a lot. A lot. I’d recommend buying late winter/early spring and stock up.

Lids are the round flat metal pieces with the rubber seal. These are considered a one time use only, although nowadays you can get some reusable plastic ones.

Bands are the metal things you screw on the glass, over a lid, when processing. You remove them after the jars seals and you reuse them many many times, years and years.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ball canning lids

I don't know Para. The wife always bought it before. She gave up and said, "pick up some canning jar lids will ya". (Mason jars). I think the flat tops come in a pack of a bunch and so do the spinning round parts but don't know for certain. We're scrounging old lids now which is fine if you are harvesting basil and making pesto and putting in the fridge to eat in the next week or 2, but you can't can it, put it on the shelf and ignore it which is what I think she wants to do. .

So I tried but they don't have any.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you're canning balls, they'd better sell those lids in even numbers.

Two, four, six, eight, who you gonna castrate?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGee:

Try an internet search for “Bulk Canning Lids”. Check Lehman’s too.

Whoh, they're all over the place. Guess Jeff Bezos will be making some $ on us after all. Thanks!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Those jokes didn't land at all, did they?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the discussion is being ignored because most of us would be embarrassed to admit that more than one of our balls would easily fit into a typical canning jar. Red Face

Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
We've moved all our pet food orders to Petco, Chewey OR Amazon with automatic reordering and have ended all the shortage issues.

I posted that on 10/6 and yesterday I got the email from Petco that they would be unable to ship my order until further notice. Went to Amazon and they did not have an exact match. Found it on Chewy but not in the size I would have liked.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Report This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It's been really tough at work. Clean room Hepa filters, bioreactor bags, disposable sterile tubing, all kinds of stuff has crazy long lead times and are usually delayed from the original ship date.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Report This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those jokes didn't land at all, did they?

It woke me up at 5 a.m. while trying to get back to sleep, reading my tablet. I had a good laugh and then was even more awake. Good stuff.

As for shortages, Ortega Taco sauce. It left the shelf close to a month ago, then came back for a week and suddenly it's all gone again. Who hoards taco sauce?

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Went to the store last night to get ramen and sriracha. No sriracha. They had a tag over the label on the shelf, something about a shortage. SRIRACHA SHORTAGE.

Thankfully, the place across the street still had some. Bizarre.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Went to the store last night to get ramen and sriracha. No sriracha. They had a tag over the label on the shelf, something about a shortage. SRIRACHA SHORTAGE.

Thankfully, the place across the street still had some. Bizarre.

An article I read a few years back said the Sriracha factory in Industry. CA uses something like 100 Million pounds of peppers per year. That's so many.