SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 35

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What Weird Shortages Are You Seeing Now? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can't can it, put it on the shelf and ignore it which is what I think she wants to do. .

We have long been freezing our own homemade pesto. Use small plastic containers of near-recipe size for whatever you make with it, no left overs, something under 4 oz works well.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've noted a few 'missing items' in various hardware or gardening areas.

Just the past week I've been trying to track down a local tank-mounted propane heater head in the 15000 BTU range to replace my old unit. Finally tired of wasting time & ordered from A*zon. Should be here by "Wednesday".

But I have seen an unusual number of completely empty shelf-spaces in numerous stores the last few weeks.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Ordered some Tops Knives back in June. They’re still on back order due to a shortage of 1095 steel according to the response from customer service. Just-in-time supply of materials in manufacturing is terrific in terms of keeping inventory and overheads low but turns into a big cluster when the supply chain breaks down.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
An article I read a few years back said the Sriracha factory in Industry. CA uses something like 100 Million pounds of peppers per year. That's so many.

I believe it, it's damn good stuff. I'm about to have some in a bowl of ramen. I'm sick, so, hot salty stuff makes me feel better whether it's good for me or not. Probably not. I wonder if it's labor, materials, or trucking that jamming them up? Take your pick, I guess.

As for my job, work has been really, really slow. I got interviewed and offered a job a few months ago at Aero Precision and decided not to take the job because the commute, on a trial run one weekend, was absolutely awful. That may have been a mistake. I stuck with my current gig working assembly at a place that builds industrial concrete polishing equipment. We can't get parts and supplies, and it doesn't matter anyways because with the "labor shortage," we're not selling units. I think I fucked myself. Frown

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If it helps to understand the hit-or-miss availability situation, here's an interesting chart from today's Triangle Business Journal.

Relative to the discussion, what it means is that stuff coming in from overseas needs to be worth paying 5x normal shipping cost to get here.

As a consequence, till shipping costs stabilize, there are going to be a lot of low-value and/or bulky things that come in from overseas that will be in short supply.

Or, alternatively, suppliers will need to consider whether they could hike the prices of those things enough to make it worth competing for shipping space to get them to market.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Those jokes didn't land at all, did they?

A pair rent ly not…

But I have found my people. Cracklin’ Oat Bran folks, rejoice! I finally found some at the store, bought 2 boxes, then my husband went back a few days later and bought 2 more - they restocked. Waited all summer for that shit.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Those of you looking for canning lids, I think my wife has been getting them from a place called U-Line.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am noticing both shortages and greatly increased prices.

I know two people recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. There is a months-long waiting list for CPAP machines.

I ordered a bunch of BBQ for a weekend get-together with friends. The cost of BBQ recently went up 25% for pulled pork and chicken, and 50% for beef. It was already expensive to begin with. I don't think I will be eating much BBQ for awhile...

A couple of local Starbucks stores are having trouble getting employees. One store closed completely, and the other had to reduce its hours.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Those of you looking for canning lids, I think my wife has been getting them from a place called U-Line.

Wide mouth lids are "unavailable".

I have several hundred stored up so I don't really need any more for the time being. Thought I'd check though and came up with the above response from U-Line.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:

I know two people recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. There is a months-long waiting list for CPAP machines.

They will be better off just buying a used one out of pocket for now, they are available online, then they can switch to the new one their insurance provides whenever that happens.

There is a worldwide recall of just about every Philips machine made in the past 6-7 years and they are replacing current customers machines now so I'm sure new patients are having a hard time finding a new machine.

I have a new ResMed CPAP machine and very slightly used identical model as a backup now.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a Soylent Green moment waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]

Limited-time deal: Soylent Complete Nutrition Gluten-Free Vegan Protein Meal Replacement Shake, Mint Chocolate, 11 Oz, 12 Pack https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0971YSSKF/

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Like a 747.... LOL

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
After four stops for cat food, I was able to finally find it online.

Target cat food shelves.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
Ordered some Tops Knives back in June. They’re still on back order due to a shortage of 1095 steel according to the response from customer service. Just-in-time supply of materials in manufacturing is terrific in terms of keeping inventory and overheads low but turns into a big cluster when the supply chain breaks down.

1095 steel is readily available. It is some of the least expensive high carbon steels you can purchase.

I like it a lot, and use it a lot - but it’s certainly not constrained right now.

Besides, those TOPs knives are a 1/4” thick and covered in the same gross schmoo as a Norton bombsight.

Strange big knife frankly… I know because I own one. Wink.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My little grocery store hasn't had the thin sliced corned beef since this crap started. Stopped in today and same same. 8 different styles/brands (each) of ham and turkey, but still no corned beef. Fella at the meat counter says they've been trying. None to be had.

Fuckers. I'm really in the mood for a reuben.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at Sam's Club this morning and was surprised to see their stock of goods to be so low. They had what I wanted, but at higher prices.....of course!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
My little grocery store hasn't had the thin sliced corned beef since this crap started. Stopped in today and same same. 8 different styles/brands (each) of ham and turkey, but still no corned beef. Fella at the meat counter says they've been trying. None to be had.

Fuckers. I'm really in the mood for a reuben.

Roast beef deli meat has been in short supply since March 2020 too. Aldi doesn't even have a spot on the shelf for it any more.

It's the only deli meat I like.

(I'll eat turkey in a pinch, but can't stand ham, and I eat chicken for nearly every other meal so I don't want it on my sandwiches too.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
And the dog food cans my boys like...

Today will be their first day on a new brand. I hope the change doesn't mess them up.
^^^^^^^^
Is the school cafteria an option??

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:

I laughed pretty good. Your Whitty Factor (WF) is running at 10.0 Apparently not everyone's Dullness Factor (DF) is running low. C'mon guys, this is the Great Sigforum shape up man !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I suspect that the discussion is being ignored because most of us would be embarrassed to admit that more than one of our balls would easily fit into a typical canning jar. Red Face

Wink

You're forcing us to give you credit for your honesty. Much credit I would imagine. But I won't.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Report This Post