SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Wear a Wrist Watch
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Wear a Wrist Watch Login/Join 
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
1 that is purple with a black & white horse on it & the tail moves to tell the time

Could you send me a photo of that watch - would be a great gift idea to my wife

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I wear a Rolex Sub daily - for both work and play. The only time it comes off my wrist is at shower and bedtime. On the rare occasion I travel, I often wear my watch 24/7.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a Casio G schock. I wear it about 90% of the time that I am awake.

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Same Omega Seamaster for probably 15 years. Wear it daily, take off to shower.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Do you wear a wrist watch= No

Same here.

Up until I began AIT for my Army aviation job, I wore basic digital watches.

Shortly after beginning my training, I was told numerous times to remove my watch when working on the bench and/or aircraft trainers, ( wearing watches, jewelry, etc, while working was a safety no-no, ) however, being the stubborn young guy I was at the time, I tended to ignore these warnings.

One day, while plodding along at the bench working on a black box, the head instructor, ( an old retired CSM, ) came up behind me, deployed his Buck knife, pinned my wrist down to the bench with the knife and informed me that I WILL remove my watch or that HE would remove it.

Needless to say.. I stopped wearing watches on my wrist from that day forward. Big Grin

Once I began carrying a cell phone, I completely stopped buying watches.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a watch about half the time--I am retired and time doesn't mean much anymore. Despite the observation that, "Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss", I own a bunch, including ten Ball watches, which I rotate wearing.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never wear jewelry (wedding ring including). Quit wearing a watch the day I retired from EMS. I've never been a jewelry guy. Worn my ring for a few years but when I got involved in fire/EMS decided it was better to leave it at home (too easy to hang it on equipment).

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Sigh. Finally got the image I tried to post yesterday to a reasonable size.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I wear a men’s Seiko SSC017 solar powered dive watch everyday and I really like it. For the most part the face is easy to read - except the date. The face of the watch is the solar panel and is thicker making the date recessed deeper. It also has a stop watch feature that I rarely use. I’ll post a picture if I get a new account someplace.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phoibos PY006c lately.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
I filled out your survey. The only thing that did not fit perfectly is that my watch is a solar digital (Casio G-Shock).

Best regards,

Mike

+1

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Went about 6 months using my phone. Was unnatural to me I checked my wrist for 6 months. I gave up that experiment and am back to my 24/7 routine.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Wearing a wristwatch or not is a personal thing, and I get that. As far as the "I'll just check my phone" response goes, that may or may not be applicable.

Quite frankly if I wanted to have to pull something of my pocket and press a button to check the time I would buy a pocket watch, not a phone.

But anyway. I too have worked many places where I could not wear jewelry, watches, wedding rings, etc. I didn't even wear my dog tags around my neck (except during inspection). I did however wear a watch looped throught the pen (a.k.a. "ink stick") loop on my coveralls. It sat there hanging upside down and offered me the time whenever I glanced down. In the days before cell service, and in places where that was not possible, I loved knowing the time. Gave me sense of normalcy.

Nowadays the cell is still not the best idea for the guys in the service (and this changes by command). But the last two units I was with we had to ban cell use for anyone under the rank of Sgt. The piglets could just not use them responsibly. Pull it out, check the time, sure. But they would check the time, check their email, check their facespace, pop a snap chat or two...negative. The two biggest pushbacks I got were "what if my wife calls" and "I was just checking the time".

To the first, your wife should have every number in the BN, if she needs you I guarantee you will know within 5 minutes. To the second, if you want to know the time, buy a watch. $30 bucks for a Timex at the PX.

As I said a watch is a tool for me, as valuable as the Swiss Army in my pocket. If I was somehwere without cell service or internet why would I keep a phone in my pocket just to tell the time? I have been in those places and I prefer the watch.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Always wore a watch, even as a child.

I bought my first Rolex in 82 - a Sub Date sapphire crystal and high beat movement, first of the breed.

Bought a Yacht-Master in 03, put a Daytona clasp on it, daily watch till today.

Wear it 24/7, shower, work, play, etc.

Bought a two tone Daytona with the new movement, but sold it as gold isn't me.

I also have a small collection of Seiko's. Black Monster, Military and 6105.

I wear the Black Monster when I travel, feels like a Rolex on the wrist and if something happens, no great loss.

I don't even think about looking at my phone for the time, guess it's a generational thing.

Posts: 2832 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Wearing a wristwatch or not is a personal thing, and I get that. As far as the "I'll just check my phone" response goes, that may or may not be applicable.

To further that point, a cell phone on the deck of a tanker or petroleum barge is a huge no no. Regardless, I'd still wear a watch even if I could always carry a cell phone everywhere.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daily wear Rolex Air King that my grandfather willed to me when he died. I've worn it ever since -- about 35 years.

Posts: 704 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have no use for a wristwatch. When I did wear one, they never lasted more than a couple months.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Been wearing a Citizen Eco Drive Chrono for the past 6 years and before that was wearing a Seiko titanium self winder for 8 years. Before that it has been Timex or Casio G-Shock. Have no use for a watch that cost more than $500. I consider more expensive watches such as Rolex as pretentious.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a watch all the time. No faster way to tell time than a quick flick of the wrist. Can't beat a watch when sitting in long boring meetings either. A quick discrete glance at your wrist would hardly get noticed by the boss running the meeting.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I wore a watch all through high school and college, usually a Timex or Casio. I stopped for several years, but recently started back. My daily wear watch is a Tag Formula 1.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post