SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Wear a Wrist Watch
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Wear a Wrist Watch Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't wear a watch. I have some very nice watches, but I don't wear them. As a rule, I don't like things in my front pockets nor hanging off my wrists. Besides, when I started carrying a mobile phone I used that to tell time.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I don't like or wear jewelry (including wedding band) but did wear a watch my whole life up until maybe 10 years ago.

Wore a Seiko mid-size diver SKX013 with SS band for many years. Eventually got tired of the extra 4.32 ounces on my wrist and sleeves not going over it, so sold it on eBay.

Replaced it with a smaller lighter thinner Citizen eco-drive tank watch. The power cell went bad and Citizen replaced it free. I wore it a couple more years and finally sold it also.

No more watches for me. As others have said, it's pretty easy to find out what time it is nowadays. And, if no timepieces around, I can get close enough by the position of the sun.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
I'm not a fancy feller. My "dress" watch is a Fossil. My watch most days is a good old Timex Ironman.

Same for me.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
All the time! Wink I feel naked without one and if I forget to wear one (rarely), it really bothers me as refer to it often.

Over the last several years I've acquired some pretty nice watches, many from forum members (thank you!). I'm probably now getting to the point, I'll sell a couple here.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I wear one everyday. I have a half-dozen or so that I wear in rotation, probably a week or so at a time, sometimes longer.

Thus far I've been able to curtail my lust for four-figure watches (helps to not visit WatchUSeek too often), though someday I do hope to let down my guard a little and pick up a Omega Planet Ocean. Until then my $300 - $500'ish Seikos -- and a couple Swiss watches that run a bit more but under a grand -- seem to be scratching the itch.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
A TAG 2000 Automatic, every day since 1998.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I don't own a watch. Therefore I don't wear one. Way back when,like 35 years ago, I thought I should wear one. But then I realized it did nothing for me. So I put it on the dresser, never to look back. I have no idea where it is these days. So for all purposes, I don't own one. I don't see any disadvantage.

Pretty much before I retired, there was always someone to tell me I needed to be someplace. In all honesty, I missed some boring and worthless meetings. Unless the case is gold or platinum, they have no intrinsic value. Just a toy or bauble hanging on your wrist. They are a source of amusement for the value others place on them. They seem to be slaves to the gawd of time.

So what have I learned? I go to bed after the news and before the communist comedians come on. I get up when I wake up. I go to lunch and supper when I'm hungry, or when my wife tells me its time. Pretty easy.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
always where a watch,

Omega Seamaster is my daily watch and my Omega Aqua Terra in silver is my true dress watch. It fits better with a buttoned sleeve. Love them both and they are Circa 15-18 years old. Which reminds me both are due for Dave Truong visit.

Posts: 2077 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel naked without a watch. The iphone is for my convenience, not vice-versa. The phone stays in a phone sheath on my belt. I get it out only for calls or information.

I have had a Rolex date-just for almost 40 years old.It is a tough watch.never took it off whether in office, working on the car or doing some kind of manual stuff around the house. Banged around and beat up. Replaced a crystal and face. About 15 years ago I started rotating it with Hamilton Chrono then a Steinhart Marine windup and a Steinhart Nav B chrono. All mechanical. I have a generic electronic watch that I use if I’m going to do something really nasty like use morter, cut trees, stack stones etc. I take better care of the other watches now and try avoid subjecting them to impacts, scratching etc. The Rolex continues to keep good time despite being almost 40 yrs old. I rotate them as appropriate to my needs.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Every day, and I will never be without one. I regard my watch as a tool, as handy having on my wrist as my Swiss Army knife is in my pocket. I have had one of each on my person since I was about ten years old and have found many uses for them both. I'd feel naked without either.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
With the advent of the smart phone you have a digital clock very accurate in your hand all the time, pretty much relegated the watch to a fashion piece for me.

I wear my iWatch during the week for casual wear, and have a nice Rolex for dress, couple of tweeners like a Luminox Black out for when I'm into that.

Otherwise no watch generally

That's analogous to men wearing pocket watches prior to WWI. WWI brought about the wristwatch, where soldiers could quickly look at their wrist rather than dig in their pocket to pull out a watch. Using a cell phone to tell time is a step back, IMO.

I wear an Omega Seamaster that I've had going on 15 years and I wear it while sleeping. I've never seen a watch that glows as brightly in the dark as this one, which is definitely nice when your near vision is shot. Last I checked a couple of weeks ago it was running +.42 over 60 days after I had it serviced. The other watch I wear is a Casio G-Shock for times where my watch is subject to abuse.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5163 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Casio Titanium Pathfinder. Solar powered and set by the atomic clocks.

Going on 10 years now.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I always wear a watch. I never go anywhere with out one. I even sleep with one on.
In my rotation right now I am wearing a Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph.
My other is a Breitling Avenger II Seawolf.
Both are mechanical automatic.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2572 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Armourlite. Every day. Back up Casio Solar G-Shock. Bulova chronometer for dress.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daily wear is a Tissot PR100 Quartz, I bought at a close out price of $135 OTD. My "knock around" watch is a 35 year old Seiko Digital Quartz Chronograph, A904. Can't kill it, just feed it a battery every 4-5 years.

For Social wear, I rotate among Omega Seamaster Master Co-axial, Tag Carrera caliber 1887, A beautiful tank design 1932 Elgin handwind, a 40 year old gold plated Michel Heiberlin handwind which only looks expensive and lately, a Luminox P-38.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Always. I feel naked without one. Funny thing is that when I go to check the time, I usually pull my phone out of my pocket. I fully admit that the watch is a habitual affectation that has more to do with jewelry than utility at this point with some exceptions.

My usual rotation includes:
A Christopher Ward Trident that is my usual every day watch.
A Manchester Watch Works trench watch that I wear to work when I want something different than my usual.
A Seiko Monster that I wear when I'm going somewhere that might involve rough and tumble activities that might damage my "nicer" watches.
A Bullova Moonwatch that I recently got to delay my "need" for a Speedmaster Professional... (It's actually a pretty neat watch on its own...for a quartz)
A Momentum Torpedo that I wear on motorcycle road trips. It's the very definition of a beater. It's tough enough to take abuse and cheap enough that I won't cry if something bad happens to it.

But I WILL have that Speedmaster some day...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daily beater is a Timex at work and a Citizen on the weekend. Orients, Omegas, and the vintage deco pieces come out when I'm feeling fancy.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Omega Seamaster PO. Black with leather/rubber band. Every day, but I take it off at home.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of four I rotate them...Citizen Professional Diver, Suunto Core Black, tan Casio G-shock, or a Citizen Nighthawk. Although as my eyes having been aging the Nighthawk will at some point have to go.

Posts: 585 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only while diving (which is not as often now as I’d like). Nice eco drive citizen my mother gave me as a present

Other than that, I can’t recall the last time my wrist felt a watch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post