SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Terror attacks again in London (London Bridge)
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terror attacks again in London (London Bridge) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Guns ARE legally allowed in the UK, else there would not be upwards of six million of them in a population of 65 million.

What is NOT allowed is for any of those firearms to be used in self defence.
tac

That would be like allowing fire hose practice to test for spray accuracy,but denying their use during an actual fire.

Sorry tac but your country is lacking in the freedom department.

Posts: 13072 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

So is ours depending on what part of the country you're in...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:vv Then use them offensively.

That's a pretty crappy response from a person who has a government-supported RIGHT to bear arms - even in self-defence.

I'd opine that walking down the street carrying my 1862 Snider just in case a bunch of jihadis cut loose in the neighbourhood might attract unwelcome attention. Or course, I could replace it with my Ruger Old Army - that would be a little less conspicuous.

It's more likely that I'd get dropped where I stood by an ARMED police officer, of which there are many more than you think...

Humour tac, humour.

The art of humor is not in the delivery as much as in perception. If Tac didn't see the humor, it wasn't funny. I didn't see humor in it either. Not to be offensive, but in light of circumstances, it made me wince a little.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

And you can usually tell by the murder rate where that is.

Posts: 13072 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I think you've nailed it. As citizens of the US, we have not been as free as we were told for generations. Now we are surrounded by generations who do not value liberty at all and see no harm in oppressing others for convenience and/or profit. We look at other 'less free' countries and smugly declare our privilege of standing on a corrupted pedestal above the fray. Our foundations have been compromised by decades of undermining by Leftism, politicians, malcontents, subversive academia and immoral behaviors. Rather than safely feeling sorry for other oppressed people behind the glass, we should put off our own oppression.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed by the speed with which arrests were made after the attack. That tells me that the British authorities have pretty much their act together.

Unlike ours which basically follow a script. "Not a terrorist attack". "We are investigating". "Press conference to follow". "Tips welcomed". "Time to sing Woyaya".

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The British police response was no slouch.

They caught the bastards! Quick!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34395 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:vv Then use them offensively.

That's a pretty crappy response from a person who has a government-supported RIGHT to bear arms - even in self-defence.

I'd opine that walking down the street carrying my 1862 Snider just in case a bunch of jihadis cut loose in the neighbourhood might attract unwelcome attention. Or course, I could replace it with my Ruger Old Army - that would be a little less conspicuous.

It's more likely that I'd get dropped where I stood by an ARMED police officer, of which there are many more than you think...

Humour tac, humour.

I don't think any of this thread is the place for humour, with seven dead and almost fifty innocent people with the most appalling injuries.

I guess we laugh at different things.

tac

Posts: 11439 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The British police response was no slouch.

Eight (8) minutes from call to action is significant.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
http://thefederalistpapers.org...m=FB&utm_campaign=LC

PM Theresa May On Defeating Terrorism: Yes, That Means Taking Military Action’
June 4, 2017 By Robert Gehl
While London Mayor Sadiq Khan still seems to be in a state of denial about the threat of terrorism, Prime Minister Theresa May is under no such illusions.

Responding to Saturday’s terrorist attack that left seven dead and dozens injured, May promised to end terrorists’ “safe spaces” on the internet and in the “real world.”

There have been three terrorist attacks in Britain this year alone and May said five more thave been thwarted.

Clearly, she said, the current method of preventing terror attacks isn’t working and things need to change. She identified four ways that the new war on Islamic Extremists will change:

The first change would be to realize that the solution is not a permanent counter-terrorism effort, but defeating the ideology itself through making people understand that “pluralistic British values” are “superior to anything offered” by an extremist ideology.

Her second focus is on an end to “safe spaces” online for extremists. “We need to work with allied democratic governments to reach international agreements that regulate cyberspace to prevent the spread of extremist and terrorism planning,” she said.

Her third focus is going to be on those same “safe spaces” that the terrorists occupy in the real world.

“We must not forget about the safe spaces that continue to exist in the real world. Yes, that means taking military action to destroy Isis in Iraq and Syria,” she said.

Great Britain is also one of those “safe spaces” they’ve found, she said, due to the tolerance of an ideology that seeks to destroy the western world.

“[T]here is – to be frank – far too much tolerance of extremism in our country. So we need to become far more robust in identifying it and stamping it out across the public sector and across society.” She said. “That will require some difficult, and often embarrassing, conversations.”

Finally, she called for a full review of Britain’s counterterrorism strategy and implementation of any necessary changes.

She ended by saying that British society should continue to function as it normally would, except when it comes to extremism and terrorism – that “Enough is enough.”

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Guns ARE legally allowed in the UK, else there would not be upwards of six million of them in a population of 65 million.

tac

So there is no circumstance where you can legally use a firearm in self defense? Wow.

For a nation as great as the UK, I am surprised. Certainly there is a lot of historical context with which I not familiar. Was there ever a time in the past 200 years when citizens of the UK had that right?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
I'm impressed by the speed with which arrests were made after the attack. That tells me that the British authorities have pretty much their act together.

Unlike ours which basically follow a script. "Not a terrorist attack". "We are investigating". "Press conference to follow". "Tips welcomed". "Time to sing Woyaya".

That's because they already knew about these people well before hand. They simply waited for something to happen first before actually doing anything.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I am going to drift the thread sightly.

Per the Metropolitan Police, the three Islamofascists wore fake bomb vests. This is tactical adaptation that is damned worrisome in one respect and kind of good news in another.

The good news is these three were unable to procure commercial or military explosives and were unable to make homemade explosives (HME). Coming two weeks after Manchester, which appears to have been the use of HME, it suggests that there isn't any one supporting these cells logistically or technically.

The bad news is these Islamofascists are changing their tactics to capitalize on apparent weaknesses in the way we counter these murderous fucks. They believed people and police would run from murderers wearing what looks to be an explosive vest. This would give them a clear field to murder those frozen by fear or who were unable to flee. The only response is either kill them from a distance using firearms or accept the risk the best is real and attack anyway.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/04/...ttack-new/index.html

Eight officers fired 50 shots at the three attackers

a member of the public suffered a gunshot wound during the shooting. His condition was not life-threatening.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/04/...ttack-new/index.html

Eight officers fired 50 shots at the three attackers

a member of the public suffered a gunshot wound during the shooting. His condition was not life-threatening.

Still better than the NYPD...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Very strange how some people think that we are anything similar to the UK or that the police there did a good job. We are not similar and the police over there ran away when the stabbings started.

Posts: 3575 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
ISIS claims responsibility. See http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...est-12-in-raids.html.

Who knows if they really were responsible, but may Hell descend on them any way.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Meanwhile, in NYC, Muslims blocked the street in front of Trump Towers so they could pray. Listen Linda Sarsour and you hear in just a minute or so the taquia -- the "acceptable lie to mislead the infidels"-- that has become a PC platitude.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.co...-york-ramadan-video/

That is one scary link you posted there. The barbarians are inside the gate. Way inside the gate. We're in for a world of hurt if this tolerance insanity does not come to an abrupt halt.

The scary thing as I see it is not that these people spew this bullshit, but that it has become the mainstream liberal point of view. As she spoke, I could see the whole MSM, academia, Hollywood, the Democrat base smiling and nodding in agreement. As the ISIS thugs sharpen their knives.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11207 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

So there is no circumstance where you can legally use a firearm in self defense? Wow.

For a nation as great as the UK, I am surprised. Certainly there is a lot of historical context with which I not familiar. Was there ever a time in the past 200 years when citizens of the UK had that right?

The roots of restrictions on defending oneself by any means in the UK go back a long time, but as I recall they gained steam after World War I when restrictions on private ownership of guns were increased. It was literally feared that returning servicemen who were accustomed to using guns would pose a danger to society. In addition, that was when there were concerns about the spread of Communism to the country and that if people were armed, they couldn’t be controlled. I won’t try to give specifics of the laws there or quibble about their details, but the essence is that the police have the responsibility of protecting the individual and therefore individuals should not—and must not—undertake to do it themselves.

All this is discussed in great detail in the book Guns and Violence: The English Experience by Joyce Lee Malcolm. If one likes true modern horror stories that will chill the blood of anyone who believes as St. George Tucker did in 1803 that “Self-defence is the first law of nature,” I strongly recommend it.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
One man calling another Islamophobic while hiding under a table under attack from a Muslim terrorist. You really can't make this shit up any more. This would have been something from The Onion 10 years ago.

https://milo.yiannopoulos.net/...on-man-islamophobia/

VIDEO: LONDON MAN ACCUSES ANOTHER OF ISLAMOPHOBIA AS THEY BOTH HIDE FROM ISLAMIC TERRORISTS

Footage from London shows a man getting angry with another for his comments on Muslim terror as they both hide from the horrors of Muslim terror.

In the clip – reportedly from last night – patrons at an unidentified bar can be seen scrambling for cover at the behest of men who appear to be either police officers or security guards.

As the patrons hide behind chairs and under tables, a man can be heard clearly shouting, “F**G MUSLIM C***S.”

“Shut up mate,” responds a man close to the camera. “You f****g idiot. It’s not Muslims.”

As for last night’s terror attacks in London, The Telegraph reports that the death toll has risen to seven.

According to The Guardian, the attack began when a white rental van plowed into pedestrians on London Bridge. The van reportedly continued to the nearby Borough Market, where attackers got out and began stabbing people.

The Telegraph reports that, according to eyewitnesses, the three men were shouting “this is for Allah.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post