SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unbelievably poor handling of armed suspect by NYPD
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unbelievably poor handling of armed suspect by NYPD Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^^i can tell you how it goes...

I understand how people like that get hired: EO or someone high up vouched for them.

But how does someone like that manage to stay on for 10 years and not get themselves seriously hurt or killed?

The solution was to let her be responsible for a K9 which likely cost tens of thousands of dollars? That is government logic at its finest.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy. You ride around for ten years with the blinders on. When hot calls come out you go the other way. When you are assigned a hot call or one that may cause you do arrest someone or do something that may be confrontational, you take your time getting to the job or assignment. There are a host of ways one can avoid doing anything that will cause you become involved in Police work.
BTW, now that I've posted on this subject, it may be on interest to some here that these two were lambasted by other coppers in the NYPD. They were not cut any slack.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Since when do police officers who are holding a suspect at gunpoint tell that suspect to get back in their car?

Even the suspect couldn't believe that one - his astonished "Get in?!? Are you sure?!?" was like something out of a comedy.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Jesus, Mary and Joseph Roll Eyes

Freeze and scream. Just lovely

You are in the wrong line of work, ma'am. I don't care how many stripes you have, You have no business being anywhere in the vicinity of a crazy man with a butcher knife. Did you think that taser was magically infallible?

Posts: 107774 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Wow.... that and the gun malfunction....what a shit show.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3453 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
^^i can tell you how it goes...

I understand how people like that get hired: EO or someone high up vouched for them.

But how does someone like that manage to stay on for 10 years and not get themselves seriously hurt or killed?

How? Standards have been reduced so low in some agencies that those hired are a joke. NTPD is going to crap.

How do they stay on for ten years?? They are assigned some low risk and low activity area. they hide while other do the work.

I'm the last to knock a female officer. I worked with some great ones.

Not long ago only a few miles from my former jurisdiction, this one showed a large set and saved another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...0sI&feature=emb_logo

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are in the wrong line of work, ma'am. I don't care how many stripes you have, You have no business being anywhere in the vicinity of a crazy man with a butcher knife. Did you think that taser was magically infallible?

You left out that he had previously just stabbed someone else.

Yet they still rioted over this.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
“Why not taze him?!?”

Well this guy just took 2 tazers and 2 mags of +p hollow points and he was still going. That’s why

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
And that is what happens when Defensive Tactics and Firearms training is cut to make room for touchie feelie crap. Of course the progressives will say they didn't use de-escalation techniques. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
That guy had just stabbed someone but I can't legally carry concealed in that park.

Year V

Posts: 2635 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, wow....her not doing much defensive tactics while assailant continued to advance, vest not exactly fitting right on her, firearm going click, not the finest physical specimen.

She's a sergeant, how? I could care less about the screams and sobs, natural emotional reaction to trauma...however, she was close to breaking down and none of her colleagues was helping her come down off the shock. Are you ok? Are you ok? Roll Eyes

Posts: 14708 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
My beef is how long it took for them to physically check her for wounds.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What burns me is when I was coming off active duty and applying at LE jobs, I was turned down in favor of turds like her. Couple of deployments, college educated, secret clearance and excellent physical shape. But people like that get hired over me? Roll Eyes

to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Oh here is the the second part of that Chicago PD incident: a "concerned" citizen called the COPA (Civilian Office of Police Accountability staffed entirely by anti cop activists) who said he videoed the incident and the cops shot the guy for no reason.

Here is the link to the phone call: Call to COPA by "Concerned" citizen

Posts: 3958 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people think this job is all about riding around in a nice,shiney new car, hanging out in DD, picking up chicks (sometimes men), and not doing anything other than writing tickets or abusing people. So they think that they too can do the job, that it would be cool. So they sign up, take the test and are hired because they check all the boxes. Unfortunately they are the wrong boxes. Then one day they are confronted by something like this and they shit their pants and find out that the job is not what they thought it was. They then usually seek an inside job somewhere and if they are good looking or have a unique skill set they usually get it. This Sgt. may have been one of the nicest gals in the CPD. I don't know as I don't know her. But there are many more just like her not only in Chicago but across the nation. As an old timer once told me many years ago, "the job ain't what it used to be kid". Now the flip side of this is that I've seen a few female Officers in situations like this and they did outstanding jobs. But for me, I'll take a CPDSIG or a JSBCody anyday.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What burns me is when I was coming off active duty and applying at LE jobs, I was turned down in favor of turds like her. Couple of deployments, college educated, secret clearance and excellent physical shape. But people like that get hired over me? Roll Eyes

See? You check all the wrong boxes in THEIR view. Former military,a few deployments, great shape, TS clearance. They want a gentler,kinder,more compassionate kind of guy or gal. They don't trust former military. Hell, there was a time if you even had a relative OTJ they wouldn't hire you here. The liberal,Democratic machine has ruined what was once a great Department in the name of liberalism and diversity. I hope you were hired somewhere but be glad it's not here.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Bulldog,

I was part of the massive testing that happened in 2006. I took it late in 2006, the last one that year in November. Passed the written, passed the power, passed the physical, passed both psych tests. Waited and waited. Left for the Army in January 2009 and I want to say a year or so after that, my parents received a letter they forwarded to me requesting FOID, DL, etc. to start background.

I called the detective and he said I could pick up where I left off if I decided to keep going forward with the process. But I had decided by that time I wasn't going to live in Chicago after the Army. Too expensive and too cold. Beautiful city and incredible food, though.

Was it you and I who talked about my days at UIC?

I applied at Orlando PD and Orange County. They make the Chicago politics seem like minor league but that's a story for a different day.

to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Edmond that was right around when the anti-military movement began. All of the command and staff and most old timers when I started were prior military, now it is a lot less in certain departments (mine is around 50% prior military but we are the exception in our area). Hell, in a citizens meeting our Chief had to have per the Mayor, 5 of the 10 people attending brought up the whole "prior military people are trained killers and how many of them are on the police department" crap. My Chief pointed out that the prior military officers had life experiences way beyond a typical college student could ever have. My squad of 7 officers is almost all prior military (3 Army, 2 Air Force, and 1 recovering Marine, we kid the non military officer as having a deployment in the Cub Scouts) with 2 officers still in the active reserves. To contrast the anti-military departments, look at the US Marshals, about 95% of the ones I know are prior military.

posted Hide Post
And you can see the military mindset in the USMS that are working in Portland.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Bulldog,

I was part of the massive testing that happened in 2006. I took it late in 2006, the last one that year in November. Passed the written, passed the power, passed the physical, passed both psych tests. Waited and waited. Left for the Army in January 2009 and I want to say a year or so after that, my parents received a letter they forwarded to me requesting FOID, DL, etc. to start background.

I called the detective and he said I could pick up where I left off if I decided to keep going forward with the process. But I had decided by that time I wasn't going to live in Chicago after the Army. Too expensive and too cold. Beautiful city and incredible food, though.

Was it you and I who talked about my days at UIC?

I applied at Orlando PD and Orange County. They make the Chicago politics seem like minor league but that's a story for a different day.

I hope you made it somewhere but if you have not yet been hired, look at the fed's. Much better gig IMHO.