SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection.
Page 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Half Ashed Cigar Lounge - and sticks with protection. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the PDF. There was quite a bit of information I didn't know in it. We knew that there would be issues if trade began again with Cuba. This article just reinforces that speculation. Personally, I will wait a while before I start seeking legal Cubans if and when they become available. We notice the inconsistencies now with lower production, just wait until demand increases.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I may or may not be too accurate with this statement, but when people find out I enjoy cigars, they always ask if I've had a Cuban. I have.....exactly ONE on Christmas eve 2005 in Toronto, Canada when I was on a trip. So I tell them that to me, a Cuban isn't such a big deal because (and this might be the inaccurate statement) when the Cuban revolt occurred, most of the cigar makers took the Cuban seed and grew tobacco in Honduras, the Dominican, Nicaragua or wherever they wound up. The only difference would be the soil.

To be honest, that Cuban was waaaaay over-priced and my other cigar brands were just as good or better.

erj_pilot:

Email is in my profile.

While I agree with much of what you say, send me an address and I'll forward you a few things that might make you think slightly different.

Edit - by "things" I mean smokable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I may or may not be too accurate with this statement, but when people find out I enjoy cigars, they always ask if I've had a Cuban. I have.....exactly ONE on Christmas eve 2005 in Toronto, Canada when I was on a trip. So I tell them that to me, a Cuban isn't such a big deal because (and this might be the inaccurate statement) when the Cuban revolt occurred, most of the cigar makers took the Cuban seed and grew tobacco in Honduras, the Dominican, Nicaragua or wherever they wound up. The only difference would be the soil.

To be honest, that Cuban was waaaaay over-priced and my other cigar brands were just as good or better.

For me, my top favorite cigars happen to be from that "island". And I collect cigars from all sorts of places. My three go to sticks are cuban and I can see that for the rest of life. The famous twang is something I crave in a cigar.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
Ronin, I appreciate the PDF. It confirms some things I've heard about the Cuban tobacco market. I've never had a Cuban, but from what I've read/heard the rest of the world has caught up or surpassed the Cubans in most every aspect as a result of the open market driving innovation. It sounds like there's "something different" about Cubans, but I've enjoyed what I've had so far from the sticks I've smoked.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the article.

Did you know you can travel to the Robania farm as described and buy his custom rolls. This is what led Pete Johnson to develop his own personal blend that became the black label Tatuaje. While I have never seen a Robania custom roll in person I do know they can be had if you travel there.

Once the embargo is lifted the prices on real Cubans will sky rocket and the proliferation of fakes will also. Once the all mighty dollar gets involved the Robania farm will have more tractors, fuel, fertilizer than they know what to do with.

It will take years maybe even a decade but the law of economics will see production increase and quality continue.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Hey Erj i have some cohibas i wouldn't mind sharing if you want to meet up for a smoke sometime. Serious Cigars on 1960 and cutten is a decent lounge.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
Hey Erj i have some cohibas i wouldn't mind sharing if you want to meet up for a smoke sometime. Serious Cigars on 1960 and cutten is a decent lounge.

Oooooooohhh...hell to the yeah!! Mom is visiting next week, so that's out and I don't have my June schedule yet. When I get it, I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Thanks Jay!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This post brought to you by amazing cigars everywhere. Just noticed that this thread will shortly reach 4000 posts. Thinking we should organize some type of "cigar pass" in honor of.

Thoughts? The secret Santa seemed to work okay - I'm happy to do the coordination if you guys are interested. More discussion to follow...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
Sure. Im in.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I'm in, but I doubt I would have anything worth passing on. I will be in Vegas next week on a trip and I plan on stopping by a store that carries Crux, so maybe I can get something worthwhile.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Ronin's Random Cigar Thought's of the day...

1: The Montecristo' White is becoming my favorite weekend breakfast cigar. Pairs wonderfully with coffee and if found at the right time, can be purchased at a good price.

2: I've been smoking cigars for years and just now learning about dry-boxing and lower humidities is like starting all over again. Smoked a Cuban Monte2 yesterday that I let sit solo in a cedar travel humidor for 3 days. WONDERFUL!!! A nice crunch at the foot, perfect draw, and a touch of salt. Now what? A separate humidor dedicated to 60% or so to keep a small supply of Cubans that I'll want to smoke within the week? This whole process has really given me a different perspective on 'resting' cigars that I might get online or as a gift from someone.

3: It seems like the cigar consumer is more concerned about the FDA ruling than the B&M's. Even my own shop, they talk about it, complain about, but what are they doing about it? Were it my shop, every single customer would be directed to a laptop or iPad that was linked to the two CRA petitions. If they don't care, I guess I'll stop worrying about it.

4: I used to buy cigar accessories just to have them. Finally I am to the point where I see them as a tool, each for a specific purpose.

- Good sharp cutter. I have really taken notice of this the past few weeks as I've been snipping dryer cigars. A dull or cheap blade is more likely damage the stick.

- Quality matches. Love a good cigar match, my go to for toasting the foot when wind is not in play

- Triple flame torch. Awesome for those windy days when matches are a no go and a single flame just can't do the job.

- Single flame torch. Great for lancero's or a smaller ring gauge where a 'triple' would be too much fire. The single flame is also a perfect go-to for detail touchups for the occasional runner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Since you have written them out, I noticed that I subconsciously perform some of them. The cutter tool. The guillotine, punch, and "V" all have their time and place for different vitola cigars. Fire, matches are preferred but butane works in the wind. Single torch for the smaller sticks and I have a quad for everything else. I have not dry boxed anything yet, but I will have to try it as I have noticed some sticks burning irregular at times.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Had a great experience at a cigar bar in Jeffersonville, IN this weekend. The Match Cigar Bar and sister Riverside Cigars was a great way to end Friday night after the NRA Annual Meeting. Picked up some Monte Whites, La Imperiosas and a Liga Privada T52. We walked through the opening to the cigar bar side and ordered a Woodford Double Oaked from their large selection of bourbon. I'd not tried the Woodford DO before. It's interesting, very smooth with no whiskey "burn" at all. I drank mine neat but I think the best use for it would be in a Manhattan or Boulevardier. Th eT52 was good but I don't think worth what I paid for it. Lots of $10 sticks I like better. It did burn perfectly, needing no touch ups or relights. About half way through it smoothed out and was pretty tasty. I'd give it a 6 on a 1-10 scale.
Atmosphere was nice, leather chairs and scattered tables, an unlit fireplace in the corner. Great place to spend a hour or so, wish we had something like it near us.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
posted Hide Post
The Liga series are overpriced. Some are worth it. Some not so much. They all use a wrapper that's aged in a unique way, still attached to the stalk, so there is definitely a different flavor profile than anything else out there. I really like the uf13s and they mellow out a bit with some age.

Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
La Gloria tonight with a Mad Hatter IPA.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Box pressed perfecto Man O War Ruination this evening.

cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
I'd be in Ronin. I might have to look into dry boxing... I've never done it, despite the good reviews it gets.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Going to an event tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting Willy Herrera from Drew Estate!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I'd be in for the cigar pass but I don't do anything super exotic FYI.

Currently puffing a Nica Libre Silver 25th anniversary. Not bad but a shade on the bland side IMO. It was part of an AJ sampler so for $3 and change it's hard to be mad about it.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post