SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
One more thing I thought I would throw out is most of these radios receive the NOAA weather channels also which might come in handy for some.

quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:

Yes you can listen all you want, but you cannot legally repeat anything you hear. Also for the newbies, turn any radios or TV's down when you get on the air, hams cannot transmit music. I was in my car once and a pal called. I forgot to turn the volume down on my radio and heard about it right away. OOPS!

Not sure what you mean about not being able to repeat what you hear???

As for “Broadcasting”, having music or TV in the background and going over the air is not “Broadcasting” in the FCC sense of the word.

HAM transmissions are meant to be 2-way. You cannot broadcast in the sense of a radio station where you are just putting out transmissions (music, monologue, infotainment, etc.) as a 1-way communication (exception provided for emergencies).

Good info that explains better here:
https://kk6jyt.com/ham-radio-b...our-message-legally/

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11185 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
My understanding is they have locked down the more recent BF models to in order to get FCC compliance. HAM or GMRS, whereas the older ones would TX the entire range.

I expected to have to unlock the ones I received a couple of weeks ago, but they were both unlocked when they arrived.

Posts: 718 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Ok, I decided to order the 8w version for now. I plan to get the 5w set for my girls and wife. Since watts receiving is not an issue. Wife works from home.

The local volunteer fire department gives the exam every month. I am going to try to register and get ready to take it in a few weeks.

Now . . . what would I need to do to be able to contact my dad in San Antonio?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3651 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

You’d need either a much different radio setup (HF 100w or more base station, good antenna) on both ends or use some sort of interface to the internet on both ends.

“EchoLink” and “AllStar” systems will work with simple analogue radios communicating with a repeater that is connected to the internet. You can use existing repeaters, or even get the equipment and software to start your own.

More options available if you go to one of the “Digital” radio options (DMR, Yaesu’s Wires-X/Fusion, or Icom and Kenwood’s D-Star).

Digital gets a little more complicated, and the radios cost a bit more. Easiest if folks on either end use the same protocol/system but there are some workarounds to get the different protocols to work with each other.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11185 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

A telephone.

Or, if you are wanting to use the handhelds and everybody has their licenses, you’ll need Yagi antennas for each handheld. You’ll need to know when an appropriate low earth orbit HAM repeater satellite is flying overhead. You’ll both stand outside with your antennas in one hand pointing them at the moving satellite 200 miles overhead and if everything works out, you can talk to each other until the satellite gets too low to the horizon. Maybe 10 minutes? This is easier with the antennas mount to motorized satellite tracking mounts.

Or, if you and he are in range of echolink repeaters, you can hit those repeaters wirelessly with your handhelds, but the signals between the repeaters are carried over the internet.

Or, you can buy HF transceivers, big antennas and use propagation to bounce your signals between the ionosphere and the earth.

Or, you can bounce a 6 meter signal off a meteor shower. I think this requires Yagi antennas.

Or, you can bounce your signal off the moon. Again, Yagi antennas, motorized tracking mounts, and probably a general license to use more power.

I have zero experience with any of these methods, except the telephone.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Is Para laughing yet at what he started? I broke down last night and ordered an H8 for my second radio and ordered a pair of the BF that I''l program and give to my son and his soon to be wife.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

An HF radio and a Morse key. Or, an HF radio and a general license. Or, a telephone.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:

Yes you can listen all you want, but you cannot legally repeat anything you hear. Also for the newbies, turn any radios or TV's down when you get on the air, hams cannot transmit music. I was in my car once and a pal called. I forgot to turn the volume down on my radio and heard about it right away. OOPS!

quote:
Not sure what you mean about not being able to repeat what you hear???

Keep in mind that my response is based on information from long ago when you had to appear in person at an FCC examining station to take amateur license tests.

The tests all contained information about regulations. One question dealt with if Radio Op A was communicating with Radio Op B and a random Radio Op C came across the QSO. It stated that while Radio Op C was free to listen to the QSO in its entirety if desired, he was prohibited from divulging the contents of the overheard QSO to any third party.

Posts: 7383 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Those radios on Amazon are now on sale for 35 bucks. Ordered a pair for shits n gigs

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Received this afternoon and are now charging.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Para and SigForum... making us all spend more money!

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I recently bought these but haven't had a chance to use them yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=AB2FJZGZQ3K3Q&psc=1

The ability to charge them off a USBc, extended power, and ease of programming seemed like a winner.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

A telephone.

Pretty much. Especially in a SHTF situation where maybe the grid goes down or similar, handhelds will be very limited. Useful for working with local CERTS, first responders, listening to emergency frequencies, etc. Not really made for contacting folks far away.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a USB-C charging extended battery. 19 bucks and free shipping.

***disregard, not a reputable seller***

Baofeng has an extended battery that offers USB charging but the battery end of the charging cable uses a miniplug. This is less versatile than the USB-C but is still lightyears better than cradle charging only. If the power in your house is out you won't be able to charge via the cradle.

USB charging means you can charge via small power banks or in your car with any car charger that has the USB-A connector and you don't need Baofeng's proprietary charging cab;e. USB-A to USB-C cables are common as can be.

16 bucks each and if you order two or more, Amazon gives you 8% off. No free shipping, though until you get to 35 bucks.

***disregard, not a reputable seller***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^3800mAh! That's a 'healthy' sized Battery...Like more than 2X larger than the original 1800mAh Battery the UV-5R comes with! Smile

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ordered a set of the radio's for my son and I to play with. Turns out, he's been looking at these for a while.

My thought was that I'd use these to dip a toe in, as it were. I'd like to eventually upgrade to a radio in my vehicle that I could use to communicate when I'm in the middle of nowhere. Some of the places I hunt and fish are rather remote.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 25, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an active ham, been a ham for years.
I read back through all of the posts and thought I’d offer the following:
1. Handheld radios will work MUCH more efficiently and better with after market antennas. The antennas supplied with the radios work but aren’t the best.
When considering that purchase make sure to that you get the correct mount SMA/BNC and gender (Male vs. Female).
2. CBs are still widely used. A relatively inexpensive mobile CB radio and magnet base antenna is in my go kit when traveling.
Billy

Posts: 282 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para wins, I am ordering a pair of radios, probably the Baofeng's. Actually we all win if we come up with alternate forms of comm. Thanks for starting this thread Para.

Posts: 7648 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
I am an active ham, been a ham for years.
I read back through all of the posts and thought I’d offer the following:
1. Handheld radios will work MUCH more efficiently and better with after market antennas. The antennas supplied with the radios work but aren’t the best.
When considering that purchase make sure to that you get the correct mount SMA/BNC and gender (Male vs. Female).
2. CBs are still widely used. A relatively inexpensive mobile CB radio and magnet base antenna is in my go kit when traveling.
Billy

The UV-5R's Para linked in the OP come with two antennas for each radio; the std. 'rubber duck' antenna and an Abbree AR-771 (38cm/15") High Gain 'Whip' Antenna, which is very similar to the Nagoya NA-771 and should perform quite well.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I knew this was going to happen, already dug out my old CB and antennas. Looking at new antennas for the Baofeng and the batteries are a must for my portable solar panel. Probably going to take the test for technician too.

I am really afraid this is going to end up with me raising CARRIER PIGEONS.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post