SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The guru outlines the most important settings on the BoofWang UV-5R so as to minimize confuculation.

All menu options for the BoofWang UV-5R
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Thanks for starting this thread Para.
Don't forget yer BOOLITS!!

Posts: 108621 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. Abbree AR-771 (38cm/15") High Gain 'Whip' Antenna should perform quite well.

Agree, good catch.
Billy

Posts: 279 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p113565:
quote:
. Abbree AR-771 (38cm/15") High Gain 'Whip' Antenna should perform quite well.

Agree, good catch.
Billy

I have tried both, not broadcasting, but the shorter rubber one receives better than the Abbree, I would have thought it would receive better but still learning, so maybe I missed something.

Posts: 3722 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I recently bought these but haven't had a chance to use them yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=AB2FJZGZQ3K3Q&psc=1

The ability to charge them off a USBc, extended power, and ease of programming seemed like a winner.

Yup, that’s why I recommended them back on page 1 Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11107 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Already have my Kenwood, Radioddity GMRS radios, and my Slim Jim antenna for both, now added this:

I do plan on acquiring a couple Boofwangs too.

Posts: 11395 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Mine showed up today, a day early. Now the hard part is getting the license and programming them.

Posts: 12546 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you picked up a programming cable with your radios, you can download the CHIRP program free of charge here. The 32 bit version for Windows is highlighted. This will work for either 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 10 OS.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I forgot to order the cable when I placed the order but did the next day. I'm still waiting for that. Thank you for the link.

Posts: 12546 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I recently bought these but haven't had a chance to use them yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=AB2FJZGZQ3K3Q&psc=1

The ability to charge them off a USBc, extended power, and ease of programming seemed like a winner.

Yup, that’s why I recommended them back on page 1 Wink

And a single handheld for both GMRS and ham, legally.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16985 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just a word about the youtube channel NotaRubicon:

I like this host. He makes it clear that he doesn't give a fuck. His sense of humor is as dry as the Sahara and the dehydrated son of a bitch makes me laugh. I have no doubt that he pisses off "some people" all to Hell, and that, too, makes me laugh. I like his habit of pinning trollish or stupid comments to the top of the comments section. I understand why he does this, and I heartily approve.

This is his latest video, published this evening. I am not concerned with the particular product he's reviewing (because, as he indicates, it's not a cheap Chinese radio, but rather an expensive Chinese radio, approaching 200 bucks).

Just take a listen. Neophyte though I am on this particular subject/hobby, I've a strong suspicion that the man knows what he's talking about. Enjoy

"...making contacts with anonymous men." Big Grin

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Notarubicon definitely knows his shit. I’ve watched his channel for a year or so. Love his sarcasm as well.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7039 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
I am an active ham, been a ham for years.
I read back through all of the posts and thought I’d offer the following:
1. Handheld radios will work MUCH more efficiently and better with after market antennas. The antennas supplied with the radios work but aren’t the best.
When considering that purchase make sure to that you get the correct mount SMA/BNC and gender (Male vs. Female).
2. CBs are still widely used. A relatively inexpensive mobile CB radio and magnet base antenna is in my go kit when traveling.
Billy

The UV-5R's Para linked in the OP come with two antennas for each radio; the std. 'rubber duck' antenna and an Abbree AR-771 (38cm/15") High Gain 'Whip' Antenna, which is very similar to the Nagoya NA-771 and should perform quite well.

I’ve used the Abbree 42.5 antenna and they have worked very well. A little bulky but well worth it.

Posts: 3570 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am an active ham, been a ham for years.
I read back through all of the posts and thought I’d offer the following:
1. Handheld radios will work MUCH more efficiently and better with after market antennas. The antennas supplied with the radios work but aren’t the best.
When considering that purchase make sure to that you get the correct mount SMA/BNC and gender (Male vs. Female).
2. CBs are still widely used. A relatively inexpensive mobile CB radio and magnet base antenna is in my go kit when traveling.
Billy

Could you, or another member with knowledge recommend a mobile based option (ham/cb/whatever) for the ignorant such as myself to get started? I'll certainly start another thread if that's the best option. Thank you.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 25, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para, I've also been watching his channel. Lots of videos to watch. I can't imagine the learning curve without YouTube. Started fiddling with the radio last night. I looked up my local repeater and assigned it to a channel. I figured out pushing the CALL button will change it to FM. Also. In Frequency Mode, press and hold the scan (*) will scan the band and if you set up the SC-REC to SE, it will stop so you can write it down. Chirp programming will be after I'm more familiar with all the functions and buttons. I haven't thought about uhf/vhf this much since adjusting the settings on the back of the TV to stabilize the picture, ha.

The movie Contact make more sense now Cool

Posts: 3572 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Really enjoying this, I programmed in the FRS/GMRS channels and I was picking up two guys broadcasting 38 miles away while I was in my basement, walked over to the window and signal got even better. This is really starting to get fun. Need more accessories. OH NO!!!! Rabbit hole!!!!!

Posts: 3722 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I tried to order the Baofeng USB-C-charging extended battery. Ordered it yesterday via Amazon and I got a message this morning from the seller saying my address is currently unavailable, which I suppose means they don't have delivery for this area right now, which is weird because Amazon would be delivering it.

I looked into the seller and they're brand new on Amazon, a Chinese vendor, so I cancelled the order. The version with the mini plug is available readily, but does anyone know where I can get the version which uses a USB-A to USB-C charging cable?

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Para, not sure how you feel about Aliexpress, but I see they are available with free shipping around $15.00

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I tried to order the Baofeng USB-C-charging extended battery. Ordered it yesterday via Amazon and I got a message this morning from the seller saying my address is currently unavailable, which I suppose means they don't have delivery for this area right now, which is weird because Amazon would be delivering it.

I looked into the seller and they're brand new on Amazon, a Chinese vendor, so I cancelled the order. The version with the mini plug is available readily, but does anyone know where I can get the version which uses a USB-A to USB-C charging cable?

On those large 3800 mAh batteries, note that the ones I got years ago required you to dremel off 3 plastic raised "shoulders" where the battery mates with the bottom of the radio body. This may have changed over the years, but back when I got into these this mod was well known. Take a look at the pic of the areas to be releived.

Posts: 3570 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
Para, not sure how you feel about Aliexpress, but I see they are available with free shipping around $15.00
Thanks, but I wouldn't order anything from those people.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is the same you tried to order but it shows delivery for me between 2/21 and 3/14. from the Baofeng store.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng...%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-19

The one with the pin connector has a USB-A so it could be charged off a charging brick as well.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng...id=1706987757&sr=8-3

Posts: 3504 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post