SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
So, konata88...

Buy a Wouxun. You won't be disappointed.

Posts: 1463 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
You know you've watched too many notarubicon videos when you see Wouxun but in your head you hear..."wook-sin...ocean".

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9744 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
OK, explain this to me, please.

My local NOAA is 162.55 MHz. Using the factory-supplied antenna, I can receive this station on my UV-5R, but if I change the antenna to the Abbree AR-771 antenna (clearly marked UHF/VHF) I get nothing on that frequency.

162.55 MHz. That's VHF, yes? What's the deal?

I beleive for transmitting, HAM VHF antennas are the right length to work well at 146 which means they work fairly well from 144-148. The longer the antenna the more narrow the range of frequencies it works fairly well with. Maybe it applies to receiving as well?

I did notice this morning the longer antenna I have picked up more noise than the shorter one. I could hear the people talking more clearly using the shorter antenna.

When you start getting into the voodoo, antennas have a resonant frequency like pipe organ pipes do. Like pipe organ pipes, that resonant frequency is related to length. As the length gets longer, the frequency gets lower and vice versa. For an antenna, the resonant frequency is where the antenna's inductive and capacitive reactances cancel.

I only looked at the General License info a little bit and really don't know what any of that means.

Another fun fact, antennas shorter than the actual wavelength of a frequency work pretty good, but only at certain fractions: 1/4 wavelength, 1/2 wavelength, 5/8 wavelength. This is the reason one antenna works for both VHF and UHF. It's a 1/4 wavelength antenna for VHF and a 1/2 wavelength for UHF.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:

My local NOAA is 162.55 MHz. Using the factory-supplied antenna, I can receive this station on my UV-5R, but if I change the antenna to the Abbree AR-771 antenna (clearly marked UHF/VHF) I get nothing on that frequency.

That makes no sense! Is that the longer antenna that came in the kit? If so (and I'm assuming it probably is), I have found that those do not work near as well on my radios as the rubber ducky antennas do. As soon as I get paid again, I'm going to order a pair of Nagoyas...

You might try reducing the squelch to 1 or 2 and see what happens. That's what I typically run mine on when scanning.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:
(video)

Creepy! The dude never blinks! Eek

(Back to my studying....)

God bless America.

Posts: 13826 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:

That makes no sense! Is that the longer antenna that came in the kit? If so (and I'm assuming it probably is), I have found that those do not work near as well on my radios as the rubber ducky antennas do. As soon as I get paid again, I'm going to order a pair of Nagoyas...

You might try reducing the squelch to 1 or 2 and see what happens. That's what I typically run mine on when scanning.

^^^ or go outside and walk around the neighborhood to see if there is a sweet spot where NOAA can be heard.

Too many factors to know the answer to Para's questions without test equipment and measurements, but I'll venture a guess anyway since I was employed as an actual antenna engineer 30 years ago.

I looked up these AR-771 antennas and they seem to cover 3 bands with a single vertical whip and the length seems to be less than a quarter wavelength at it's lowest frequency. 15.1 inches. It's also somewhat longer than a quarter wavelength at the 1.25 meter band and on the 450 MHz band it seems not to be a multiple of a quarter wavelength, or any of the other magical lengths.

This requires an electrical network at the base of the antenna, which could be quite simple, or may be more complex. Since I'm unfamiliar with these antennas I would guess that the length provided a reasonable compromise for each of the 3 bands, given the 'right single network' at the base.

That "right single network" at the base may provide reasonable coverage (range/performance/efficiency/gain/whatever) at a narrower portion of the VHF band compared to the stock antenna, which either has a different network, or perhaps no network.

In other words the stock antenna might be like a cylinder choke on a shotgun. Covers a lot of the VHF band, but no single area of the band very well.

The 771 might be like a full choke shotgun. Covers the part of the VHF band you want most very well, but outside of that narrow portion of the band, there isn't good coverage. Generally, electrical matching networks on antennas have their own bandwidth, which can become very, very narrow, depending.

That's my best guess. Without test equipment on your antenna it's difficult to say for sure. If you hear nothing anywhere on the band, then maybe the antenna is just defective.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11079 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Hey radioman,

How effective is it to swap out these 1/4 wave factory antennas on these handhelds for a 1/2 or 5/8? Does it make a noticeable difference?

Posts: 1463 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
<<snip>>
^^^ or go outside and walk around the neighborhood to see if there is a sweet spot where NOAA can be heard.

Too many factors to know the answer to Para's questions without test equipment and measurements, but I'll venture a guess anyway since I was employed as an actual antenna engineer 30 years ago.<<snip>>

I am not an antenna engineer, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

With that in mind, I went and grabbed one of the AR-771s that came with my radios (just like Para's) and compared it to the rubber ducky when listening to my local NOAA weather channel. If anything, the AR-771 is slightly clearer when held fairly still. HOWEVER, if I move the radio around a lot, causing the whip antenna to... well... whip, the channel will cut out and I have to press the squelch bypass button on the side to make it come back on! Weird...

Para's issue MIGHT be distance to the NOAA station; I am approximately 8 miles LOS to mine, so not very far.

As soon as I get paid again I will be getting a pair of Nagoya 771G antennas and hope for much better results!

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
(video)

I had never noticed that before! Weird...

Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
(video)

I had never noticed that before! Weird...

I think he edits out the blinks, a few of his videos there seems to be a break in filming.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's stay on track, please.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kick in the pants, Para. I've had a scanner since I was a teenager and was always interested in radio in the background. I bought a pair of UV-8Rs a couple weeks ago and have been listening to the Sunday night Nets. I've been studying for the technician license and am hoping to take it this Saturday at a local winter ham event.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Still trying to buy something. Been doing a lot of reading (most of which I don't really understand - too much jargon). But it sounds like the UV-5R is a ham radio type (which sounds like it makes available many frequencies) vs GMRS radio (which may be limited to GMRS assigned frequencies).

Is the recommendation to buy a ham type radio? Or GMRS radio (but ham is a superset)?

GMRS seems to be anchored on two freq: 462MHz and 467MHz.

In looking for non-chicom brand (brands suggested above), GRMS with Li-ion battery (not NiMH), optional antennas:

* Yaesu and Icom and Kenwood: it's hard for me to tell but seems like they only have ham handheld products that can receive GMRS but not transmit GRMS. So, no GRMS radios, just Ham.

* Garmin: offers GPS+GMRS but very expensive ($600+). And fixed antennae.

That leaves Midland and Rugged

* Midland: GMRS products (GXT models) but fixed antennae and NiMH

* Rugged: GMRS with antennae options and Li-ion. GMR2 Plus models.

Help me out:
1. Do Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood really not offer GRMS? Only Ham?
2. For GMRS, is Rugged a good brand? The GMR2 Plus model meets the spirit of the UV-5R recommendation or should I really be getting a ham type radio?

If GMRS meets the spirit of this thread, then looks like Rugged is the only other option (discounting Midland). If ham is the intended recommendation, then that opens up the 3 Japanese makes again.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's stay on track, please.

a couple of interesting videos that allow a look inside the antenna and what could be causing issues. jump to the end, also there are some good comments.

Posts: 231 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems there are very few things that could be wrong with the antenna, and you can't fix them. the best method of troubleshooting is send it back and get something new.

Posts: 231 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the recommendation to buy a ham type radio? Or GMRS radio (but ham is a superset)?

Yes.

But I would check RepeaterBook.com to see what ham repeaters are within 10 to 15 miles from you. If you’re near a large metro area I would get a ham radio. If not, it probably doesn’t matter.
Hams typically will be prepared for operation during unusual events.

If you just want to stay in touch with your wife and kids, go GMRS.

I’d get both.

Posts: 3970 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, I figured the superset was the right way to go. Smile

It's odd - the CCR's seem to offer ham radios that will also Tx on GMRS freq. But, unless I'm missing it, Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood offer hams that may receive GMRS but not Tx. Too much jargon and too many models. I guess I need to spend more time looking at each model. Pretty tedious - I guess they assume some prior knowledge before looking at their products.

If they really don't offer ham with GMRS capabilities (it's not even clear if they offer GMRS only radios), then maybe I'll get both: sounds like Kenwood and Yaesu are the preferred ham brands (Icom also good) and then get the Rugged for GMRS only.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Some of the Yeasu, Kenwoods, and Icoms can transmit on GMRS, but they have to be modified to do so. For a few, it’s pressing the right button sequence, but for most it involves desoldering parts of the PC board.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of the Yeasu, Kenwoods, and Icoms can transmit on GMRS, but they have to be modified to do so. For a few, it’s pressing the right button sequence, but for most it involves desoldering parts of the PC board.

Thanks. I guess this confirms that these brands don't really offer GMRS products (although reading the interwebz, sounds like Kenwood does, I just haven't found the models yet). Modifications are likely outside my skill level. I need something relatively turnkey.

I do have some Moto FRS/GMRS 2W radios (license free). Maybe that covers me for now. Get a ham radio (not sure what frequencies to get yet) and then a higher power GMRS radio later.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^this reminded me that mobile GMRS radios don't Tx on the interstitial channels 8-14. So manufacturers may not bother as much with those as for ham, just a thought.

https://www.buytwowayradios.co...n-channels-8-14.html

Posts: 3586 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post