SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Just looked again and they're now $35.09 with free Prime shipping.
Clearly, anyone who does not already have means of non-cellular, non-internet emergency communications should jump on these.

At some point, I'll buy the extended batteries for this model. In addition to the obvious benefit of a higher capacity battery, these batteries offer USB charging, whereas the standard battery has cradle charging only. In a extended power outage, the value is apparent.

Perhaps a solar panel, too.

Just as with AM/FM/SW receivers, if everything is down, being able to receive/send things through the air is the only way to go. Smoke signals just don't cut it anymore.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
<<snip>>
Then I read maybe the first 80 pages of KB6NU’s free PDF study guide <<snip>>

Where are you seeing a FREE study guide? I followed the link, but everything I see is $9.97 or more, including digital versions...

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The very first option says:

- PDF. Click here to download the PDF version for FREE!

Click the "Click here" and it brings up a 127 pages study guide.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Finally found it. Thanks!

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I now I just ordered a GMRS version. Looking forward to listening and someday.

BAOFENG GMRS Handheld Radio UV-5R Upgrade Long Range Walkie Talkies GM-5RH Two Way Radio with 2500mAh Battery,GMRS Repeater Capable,NOAA Weather Receiver,One Key Frequency Match and Type C Cable https://a.co/d/9xt6hAN

Posts: 3586 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not confident my wife or daughter could operate a radio. Anyone got advice for sat phones or sat devices you connect your phone to?

Posts: 789 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So now I'm curious....the BF ham radios are programmable to transmit on FRS/GMRS freqs? I was looking at the TD-H8 GMRS myself. What are the pros/cons between them?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16225 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine bought two, got his technician’s license with an online test (no more Morse requirement Frown ) and has found a prepper’s group to work with.
I just ordered a pair. I pay that much for two pairs of Thor-Lo’s.

Posts: 18337 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:
So now I'm curious....the BF ham radios are programmable to transmit on FRS/GMRS freqs? I was looking at the TD-H8 GMRS myself. What are the pros/cons between them?

Some can, some can't. A huge issue with Baofeng as a company is there are tons of models and generations of models with the same names with vastly different capabilities. Some are great, some are terrible. Some are locked down, some aren't. Some are really crappy radios that don't receive well and have dirty transmitters that cause interference for the whole band, some are actually decent. Many are sold with listings that advertise clearly impossible features (kind of like the cheap Chinese flashlights and all their copies, you're just not getting 1 million lumens from a 18650 handheld no matter what the ad said.)

If you're buying it only for emergency comms if SHTF, they will all probably do ok.

If you want more than that you really need to do your due diligence about the exact radio you want, from the exact supplier you're buying from so you know for sure what you're going to be getting. When it comes to the cheap Chinese radios, there's a lot of crap to wade through.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3567 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I used to think they were only for SHTF but reading and thinking about it they're way more than that. Hurricanes, tornado's or in my case I drive 15 minutes away to my brother in laws and my cell phone is nothing more than a lousy flashlight. I regularly drive where I get no cell service but in an emergency I might find someone with a ham radio on that hears my call. I've had a BF F8HT for a few years now and I finally got around to programming my local repeaters and learning my way around. I'll study and take my test in the next month or two. 911Boss has me talked into a Tidradio for a second radio so I'll pick one of those up to play with and carry in the truck.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a little info for those thinking about why they should get a pair of these (and their license if they so choose), I used to be a Red Cross Disaster Services Volunteer and worked several of the hurricanes in past years. Myself and another guy from here took our handhelds along just because. It often turned out these were the only reliable form of communication as cell towers were often either down electrically or jammed up by call overloads. Most repeaters were battery back up so still operational. Also local hams were great if we had something urgent and would clear the channel for us as soon as we mentioned we had Red Cross communications to handle. They were also great about relaying messages via land lines or high frequency radio base stations that were still partially in service to authorities or other needed contacts.
Another good investment once you have a license is the "Repeater Book" which has the frequencies and access tones for repeaters throughout the nation. When you purchase the book you also get access for the internet version you can put on your laptop or phone. It is great to have access when traveling if you need to find local info or maybe just jaw with someone if you are alone and/or bored.
Oh yes, this is another rabbit hole that you just fell into. LOL. Wait until you get to experience a premium radio, I love my ICOM ID 51, you cannot believe the difference both in clarity, power and other capabilities.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2935 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Ordered. Thanks, Para. Looking forward to learning the basics on their use.

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’m just going to pass this along. Baofeng is obviously a Chinese company. The outfit below is a U.S. importer that sells radios that are guaranteed to be in spec and carry a U.S. warranty. *Some* Baofeng radios can transmit out of spec… I have a Technician license but am a newbie. Forgive me if I’m not describing this better.

https://baofengtech.com/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7057 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
As far as the Repeater Book is concerned if you just want to find the repeaters local to you and are not worried about those on the other side of the country you can find the free online version here..

https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php/en-us/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Once again Sigforum makes me open my wallet, but I do believe this is a wise investment. I just hope this not another hobby I get hooked on. If I understand correctly, as long as I just listen I can listen to everything legally.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
Once again Sigforum makes me open my wallet, but I do believe this is a wise investment. I just hope this not another hobby I get hooked on. If I understand correctly, as long as I just listen I can listen to everything legally.

Yes you can listen all you want, but you cannot legally repeat anything you hear. Also for the newbies, turn any radios or TV's down when you get on the air, hams cannot transmit music. I was in my car once and a pal called. I forgot to turn the volume down on my radio and heard about it right away. OOPS!

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2935 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
As far as the Repeater Book is concerned if you just want to find the repeaters local to you and are not worried about those on the other side of the country you can find the free online version here..

https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php/en-us/

Also, find your local HAM club and join. It's very worthwhile to have some guidance if you're serious about HAM radio.

Most clubs operate the local repeateers and will guide you to them. Also, most clubs will designate a "Simplex" frequency that is person to person and not thru the repeater. Could be useful to program that in as well in case.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I just bought 4 of them. Good advice and thanks for the heads-up on the price.

For those with more financial resources, there is the Garmin inReach Mini 2. A satellite based system.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/765374

Satellite plan costs: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/837461

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Love or hate Amazon, but they are good at what they do. Ordered today at 1330 and its out for delivery already, should have it within the hour.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Goddamn, son, where do you live? The Amazon parking lot?

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post