SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
So how about a SigForum emergency radio community?

Posts: 18139 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 6 of them in my house… first pair was purchased several years back. I also got my siblings and parents to buy a couple each and then I programmed them all (manually… should have bought the cable) so they all match. I also programmed all the FRS (I think that’s the term) bands that are used in commercial recreational walnut talkies. To stay under the radar we mostly only use those channels when we are caravanning or camping or whatnot… but other options are programmed to.

Posts: 6442 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Well, I just bought two of these and will get my tech license in the next few weeks. It’s been on my list of things to do for about 20 years.

Posts: 3025 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
The Tidradio TD-H8 is a legitimate 10w vs. the (advertised) 5w or 8w BF models. I say “legitimate” as the ones I received transmit a measured 9.4/9.6 watts on my power meter. The “5w” BF models I’ve had never put out more than 4 watts and the “8w” model I had (briefly) only put out 5.5 watts.

The TD-H8 seems has a higher build quality with more stout case and seemingly heavier duty buttons. It also has a much nicer and larger display, strong audio output, built in BT programming via phone app, USB-C charging and/or drop in cradle, is FCC type accepted and user configurable as a dual band (VHF/UHF) HAM or GMRS radio.

I picked up a set recently and have been pretty impressed with them so far. Programming via the app is pretty slick and easy to do.

I got a pair of these, black ones, late last year, my friend talked me out of the Baofengs because I was naive enough to think we could use them as GMRS radios to start with, and he instructed me to get these. My plan was to get my one GMRS license (no exam) for both me and my wife, and have at it, but he said the Baofengs were not legally signed off by the FCC for this purpose, plus he heard they were not easy to program to GMRS anyways. But he came up with the Tipradio Gen 2, which is both FCC approved ham and GMRS.

They're still in the box, I have only futz'd around with one of them receiving and not transmitting. I have been procrastinating on filling out the FCC stuff online and paying the $65 for a family license, but I think I'll get it this week. Then once I get comfortable with them, get my technician ticket, and hopefully my wife may be interested in getting hers.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17152 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Just one more question... Is Para getting commission on the sale of these things?

If so, I just ordered a pair also, plus the programming cable and reference book... Razz

Posts: 4776 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
So how about a SigForum emergency radio community?

We're gonna need some big ass antennas and lots of repeaters but the thought also crossed my mind. I thought this video was funny from HRCC.

CQ, CQ, W9GFO here Big Grin . Wonder where she is now, MIT?

Still in Long Beach I see. Someone mentioned you are probably doxed as a HAM.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsA....jsp?applID=12775118

Posts: 3594 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
The Tidradio TD-H8 is a legitimate 10w vs. the (advertised) 5w or 8w BF models. I say “legitimate” as the ones I received transmit a measured 9.4/9.6 watts on my power meter. The “5w” BF models I’ve had never put out more than 4 watts and the “8w” model I had (briefly) only put out 5.5 watts.

The TD-H8 seems has a higher build quality with more stout case and seemingly heavier duty buttons. It also has a much nicer and larger display, strong audio output, built in BT programming via phone app, USB-C charging and/or drop in cradle, is FCC type accepted and user configurable as a dual band (VHF/UHF) HAM or GMRS radio.

I picked up a set recently and have been pretty impressed with them so far. Programming via the app is pretty slick and easy to do.

I got a pair of these, black ones, late last year, my friend talked me out of the Baofengs because I was naive enough to think we could use them as GMRS radios to start with, and he instructed me to get these. My plan was to get my one GMRS license (no exam) for both me and my wife, and have at it, but he said the Baofengs were not legally signed off by the FCC for this purpose, plus he heard they were not easy to program to GMRS anyways. But he came up with the Tipradio Gen 2, which is both FCC approved ham and GMRS.

They're still in the box, I have only futz'd around with one of them receiving and not transmitting. I have been procrastinating on filling out the FCC stuff online and paying the $65 for a family license, but I think I'll get it this week. Then once I get comfortable with them, get my technician ticket, and hopefully my wife may be interested in getting hers.

Well, looks like procrastination may have paid off for you. A GMRS license is now $35 for 10 years!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3572 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow, thanks for the info, I had no idea! Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17152 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
BweeFang: RECEIVED

Lookin' for the FCCs

There’s a button on the side of the radio. You press it and tell them you are looking for them. They will come to you, especially if you use colorful language for F, C, C.

Posts: 11597 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I actually bought a pair last month. I haven't gotten around to setting them up yet. My son (17) lives with his mother which is 3.5 miles from my house. I'm pretty sure the range will be fine.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8150 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I already have an 8 watt Baofeng. If I want to add a second radio is the 8 watt worth the extra money over the pair of 5 watt radio's that Para bought?

Just beware - I’ve never seen a BF hit advertised power.

Admittedly I’ve only tested a handful, but most of the other folks I’ve talked with experience the same. The 5w models tend to transmit about 3.5-4w and the 8w models 6-6.5w.

The way radio and power works is to double the range, you need to QUADRUPLE the power output.

If you are truly set on a BF, I wouldn’t spend the extra money for an “8w” model.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11210 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Just in case anyone was wondering why the price on these dropped, according to their website UV-5R, these are - Category: Discontinued Handheld Products.

Not that it matters from a functionality standpoint.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6362 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
If you want high quality Japanese radio, consider these:

https://www.gigaparts.com/icom...W7DpBBwaAvEcEALw_wcB

These are NOT easy to program, nor do they have a very read-able display. But, ICOM.

Get your amateur license, and join the community of ham radio!

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XYL (Wife) aced the test not sure she can change a light bulb. Some times I think I have more radios than sense. Take the tech test and buy a GMRS license and be done with it. Fun hobby.

Posts: 16 | Location: Yuma, AZ | Registered: September 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Just for fun, I took a practice test and scored one question shy of passing.

Then I read maybe the first 80 pages of KB6NU’s free PDF study guide and scored 30 out of 35 on the next practice test. I spent about an hour and a half total between the two tests and reading.

It helped that I’m familiar with a multimeter, Ohm’s law, circuit schematics, from car, boat, and homeownership. It also helped that I’m familiar with some radio and antenna terminology from monkeying around TV, AM/FM, CB, Marine VHF, and GMRS. A little basic physics and knowing unit conversions, like knowing the speed of light and being able to convert it to m/s.

Posts: 11597 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Well, you can add me to the growing list of purchasing a pair of these. Ordered mine yesterday and Amazon says I will get it Thursday... pretty damn impressive shipping.

Looking forward to going down this rabbit hole. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
This place will help get you started with repeaters for GMRS. https://mygmrs.com/?fbclid=IwA...S6lr5xT5IJHK0igS-0p4

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave Casler has a huge number of videos on you tube and breaks down both the Tech and General study guides by chapter. easy to watch and concise for those interested in getting licensed. for the Extra exam, I would recommend a series of videos, also on youtube by W4EEY.

Posts: 37 | Location: Near St Louis MO, Let's Go Blues! | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I finally couldn't resist.
Just looked again and they're now $35.09 with free Prime shipping.

Losing internet for an hour now shows me that most of us have much less ability to communicate than I did as a child.
We don't have any sort of landline phones anymore in my home and that becomes a problem when any sort of communications outage happens. That includes losing electrical power to operate the router.
A serious storm or natural disaster, anything slightly less than the apocalypse that many think of with this type of system, shows why they could be essential at some point.

And for $35 bucks...........?

Posts: 9792 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I actually bought a pair last month. I haven't gotten around to setting them up yet. My son (17) lives with his mother which is 3.5 miles from my house. I'm pretty sure the range will be fine.

Maybe, maybe not. If not though, when it comes to VHF and UHF frequencies, height is might. Clear line of sight from one antenna to the other is a far bigger factor than power output of the radios when it comes to range. The higher you can mount the antenna the clearer that line of sight will be.

You probably can't do much about the situation at your son's mother's house, but at yours a good antenna mounted as high as you can get it at yours can give you a whole lot more reach.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3572 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post