SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Goddamn, son, where do you live? The Amazon parking lot?

I drive past a distribution center when I go south of town and there is a house between them and the crossroad. I always wondered if someone just ran across the parking lot w/ deliveries.

I ordered my set at 1:50 pm yesterday when they hit $35.
Shipped at 12:02 am.
Arrived 4:44 am.

Posts: 7482 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:

Haha, I ordered mine yesterday at noon from Amazon and they were at my house yesterday by 3pm.

Posts: 3021 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
We have an Amazon warehouse in our town about 10 minutes from the house but mine won't be here until Saturday. I'm feeling picked on or something like that.

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Para, it left Lithonia and I am down here in Henry county, And thank you for the heads up on the radios

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I picked up 3 of the Boafeng UV-5G GMRS models a year or so ago, and got a GMRS license. They've been useful on an 11 hour caravan road trip. Much faster than phones to notify of radar or let the group know you need a pitstop. I really liked having them on a mountain bike ride in the Colorado rockies when I was out of cell phone range.

I'm thinking about mounting a 50 watt Midland in the truck. The handhelds work, but I want a little more power.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1936 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trapper189:
Just for fun, I took a practice test and scored one question shy of passing.

Then I read maybe the first 80 pages of KB6NU’s free PDF study guide and scored 30 out of 35 on the next practice test. I spent about an hour and a half total between the two tests and reading.

I finished reading the linked study guide and scored 33/35 on practice tests 3x in a row. I guess I should find someone to administer the test.

As far a wives and daughters having difficulty using the radios, this is what I did with our GMRS and Marine VHF:

1. I turned the radios on.
2. I set the channel.
3. I showed them where the push to talk button is.
4. I explained they needed to wait a half second after pushing the button to start talking.
5. I explained they needed to release the button when they were done talking and listen.

Step 4 was the hardest, but they both got it eventually. There’s no reason that once you have programmed your HAM handhelds that they won’t work the same way.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
I'm thinking about mounting a 50 watt Midland in the truck. The handhelds work, but I want a little more power.

The external antenna will be more important than the extra power.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have been using UV5Rs for a few years now. CHIRP is a free download and it only takes a couple hours to get comfortable enough to easily program in all the relevant frequencies that interest you.

I have local HAM repeaters (listening only as I don't have a license), GMRS, FRS and weatherband and emergency frequencies programmed into mine.

It is available for MAC, PC/Windows and Linux. You can build and save any file you want and clone it to multiple radios, so when you tell someone to be on channel 7, it will be the same channel 7 that you are on.

Posts: 14153 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VykT799YbeM

He gets to some meat and potatoes at shortly after 29:40.

Posts: 14153 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to Para I went down the rabbit hole too. I got this set since I live out in the boonies and may need a little extra range. Now to start studying for the test.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Ordered yesterday, delivered this morning at 7:25am. My wife asked what it was, and I opened it and showed her. She immediately said to give this set to our college-age kids and to order another set for us. She said she had a dream two nights ago that the US comms system went down. New order placed, same price. I've got some videos to watch...

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, I ordered a pair of UV-5R+ with larger batteries. While I find the YouTube videos helpful, I much prefer paper. This might be helpful to some of you....

Overly detailed manual for the UV-5R family

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16225 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^^
We have an Amazon warehouse in our town about 10 minutes from the house but mine won't be here until Saturday. I'm feeling picked on or something like that.

Same here! There is an Amazon center about 3 miles from me, yet my radios won't be here until Monday (ordered them 2 days ago). The book and programming cable is supposed to arrive tonight...

Posts: 4765 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:

Certain items I can order in the evening and they are on the doorstep before I wake up. Houston has a distribution center. Smile

Posts: 11410 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I've just started my investigation into learning and using these radios, learning terminology and watching a few videos. It certainly is a can of worms. I'm thinking it would be beneficial for me (and likely other forum members) if we had a reasonable set of steps and/or best practices to follow to guide our onboarding. A specific use case may be good a good frame of reference. Here's what I envision as a most likely scenario in which we'd need to use our very basic radio skills:

• Something bad happens in the USA and normal cell service is down.
  • A family member is 30 miles away from home (as the crow flies) and wishes to speak with family members at home as they travel back home to safety.

I'm sure other members have similar use cases in mind. What steps and recommended practices would those of you experienced in this area recommend someone new to these radios follow to get things setup and working adequately? (Step 1, of course, is to get a license.) What are the key knowledge areas, best ways to setup the radios, frequencies to use, verbal forms of communication, etc. Anything at all. A "quick and dirty" cheat sheet version, along with more advanced/refined options may be a good idea. A bullet list would be outstanding.

If anyone is willing to put this together for the forum, I'd be grateful.

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Next project will be to build a Faraday "bucket". Subscribed to his channel and watched some of his past live streams. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here. He was more into gun videos before getting into HAM. He's also into 3D-Printing. Let pray Para doesn't get into that. Wink

Posts: 3586 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Ordered and got mine yesterday, started reading and searching for information while I waited. One of the channels I found was the county school bus frequency, OMG, so glad my kids are grown, chaos and anarchy seems to be the norm, not talking about kids either.

Posts: 3745 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
I've just started my investigation into learning and using these radios, learning terminology and watching a few videos. It certainly is a can of worms. I'm thinking it would be beneficial for me (and likely other forum members) if we had a reasonable set of steps and/or best practices to follow to guide our onboarding. A specific use case may be good a good frame of reference. Here's what I envision as a most likely scenario in which we'd need to use our very basic radio skills:

• Something bad happens in the USA and normal cell service is down.
  • A family member is 30 miles away from home (as the crow flies) and wishes to speak with family members at home as they travel back home to safety.

I'm sure other members have similar use cases in mind. What steps and recommended practices would those of you experienced in this area recommend someone new to these radios follow to get things setup and working adequately? (Step 1, of course, is to get a license.) What are the key knowledge areas, best ways to setup the radios, frequencies to use, verbal forms of communication, etc. Anything at all. A "quick and dirty" cheat sheet version, along with more advanced/refined options may be a good idea. A bullet list would be outstanding.

If anyone is willing to put this together for the forum, I'd be grateful.

I'll be waiting too. Smile

Mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I found this a nice visual to back up lots of wordy words. In the video he mentioned

Online test info at hamstudyorg/sessions to locate online or remote testing.

I'm now being inundated by adds from hamradioprep.com which seems a bit grifty but haven't looked at it much.

Interesting world, HAM. I do remember those walkies as a kid had Morse printed on the front. Now to side-load Linux on my Chromebook and figure out Chirp.

Posts: 3586 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:
So now I'm curious....the BF ham radios are programmable to transmit on FRS/GMRS freqs? I was looking at the TD-H8 GMRS myself. What are the pros/cons between them?

My understanding is they have locked down the more recent BF models to in order to get FCC compliance. HAM or GMRS, whereas the older ones would TX the entire range. May be able to “jailbreak” the newer ones, but I am no longer a BF owner so haven’t kept up.

With the TD-H8, you can swap between the firmware and have HAM, GMRS, or both (yes, you will be violating FCC regs going “commando”)

For the extra $25 per radio you are getting:
-Sturdier case
-Better stock antenna
-MUCH better and bigger color display
-Considerably closer to advertised output power
-Louder audio/volume
-Bluetooth programming via phone or tablet app. No cable/computer required, app uses location to offer known repeaters in the area
-USB-C charging and/or drop in cradle

Final suggestion on the TD-H8, get the “Gen 2 HAM 10W” version. The GMRS version I tested only did 5W. The HAM version puts out ~9.5W with supplied antenna and an SWR of 1.4.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11185 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post