SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency two-way radios for what may lie ahead Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ kinda. Getting the FRN was fairly straightforward but I needed a 10 minute video I posted earlier to finish. It's good to know I can at some point get a small po box and update my address if need be. Also, I'll probably never post my callsign anywhere but on the radio. Maybe one day I can't call 911 but I can call out for help.

Posts: 3594 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those that are looking for a way to sort out the frequency listings and bands check this pdf file.
https://k5q5c8s7.rocketcdn.me/...v1a-859ch-061022.pdf
it can be found on the Bettersaferadio.com website under the wousxun kg-uv9px ham radio. I know it's a lot of freqs and unusable stuff for a less capable radio but it will serve as a way to easily pick and choose what you want and/or need for your own purposes.
there is also an FCC frequency spectrum allocation chart found here.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=...C5GfA29&opi=89978449
you can then easily see where your system lies within the radios capabilities and choose which freqs to program and which to ignore. this also helps in choosing a new radio and sorting out its full capability.

Posts: 233 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Got these a little over half hour ago:

After taking the pics, I installed the factory antennas, belt clips, and batteries then turned them on, greeted by a female voice "channel mode one"- and yes, the batteries have a full charge. Without reading the manual, I used the top left knob to dial in Ch. 4 on both units, the GMRS channels are pre-programmed. I jumped into my truck to do several 10 second radio checks, and drove 2 blocks away, contacted my wife, she responded "crisp, loud and clear". I drove several more blocks, same results. Made it to my final destination this evening at our local market/outdoor mall and pulled into the parking lot. Our transmission was audible, but a little bit of static. My wife went out to our back patio, and I got out of the truck- "crisp, loud and clear". I drove 2.5 miles from the house, it is perhaps 2 miles as the crow flies. Suburban neighborhood, most houses two-story. Drove back home, basically a 10-15 minute test.

So far, impressed with the instant results, out of the box with no fiddling with settings. Looking at the manual, it is concise and clearly written. Once we get our call sign next week, we will test these for further distances and different locations in our area, put some time into these. Then hopefully try some repeater transmissions also, but just a cursory search on mygmrs.com, we have a minimum of six local repeaters using an open system.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17152 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Oddball, my experience was the same, video on one screen and website on the other, pause, fill out, goto next step etc... until done.

Got my 35 feet of SMA cable and put antenna on top floor of house, really pulling in signals with the RTL-SDR dongle now, it was good before but can't wait till sun down to see what I can get now.

Went to the big gun show this morning, told my brother to monitor channel 16, without magnet antenna on outside of vehicle we were still communicating at 1-2 miles. Previously outside we were talking at the 2 mile mark, not bad in the burbs with a handheld.

And Para you owe me a keyboard with the previous influencer remark.

Posts: 3770 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m sending the Tidradio bluetooth programmer back. The app on my android tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, won’t connect.

Posts: 11597 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
<<snip>>
After taking the pics, I installed the factory antennas, <<snip>>

"Oddball", I have an oddball question for ya... do the antennas on those simply screw on, or is there some method to lock them on once in place?

The reason I ask is the pair of TIDRADIO GMRS units arrived last night, and while they look identical to the Baofeng radios, the antenna mounting is almost completely incompatible without the use of adapters. In addition, there is a set screw in the base of the rubber ducky antennas that locks it in place so you can't simply unscrew it like the Baofeng radios. I also didn't like the power/volume knobs as there was no click at the off/on spot... the knob just rotates and the radio starts working! These are going back to Amazon and I'll just keep the original set of Baofengs...

Posts: 4776 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
bronica, I have both sets, one is male SMA and the other is female. I replaced the antenna on my Tidradio, I think the set screw is because of the removable antenna rule when they get the radio certification, not sure. I think they have to have it to be sold but you can still change it out legally.

Found this on line
"The antenna is non-removable. GMRS regulations permit the use of external antennas. These radios, however, have access to the 7 low-power FRS frequencies, therefore, in order to be compliant with FCC regulations, the antennas are fixed. (A hex net secures the antenna. Undoing this, allows the antenna to unscrew from a standard SMA connector)"

Posts: 3770 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Kinda like the 'Bullet Button' for radios!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9428 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

"Oddball", I have an oddball question for ya... do the antennas on those simply screw on, or is there some method to lock them on once in place?

The reason I ask is the pair of TIDRADIO GMRS units arrived last night, and while they look identical to the Baofeng radios, the antenna mounting is almost completely incompatible without the use of adapters. In addition, there is a set screw in the base of the rubber ducky antennas that locks it in place so you can't simply unscrew it like the Baofeng radios. I also didn't like the power/volume knobs as there was no click at the off/on spot... the knob just rotates and the radio starts working! These are going back to Amazon and I'll just keep the original set of Baofengs...

My Wouxun radios use a standard SMA connector (antenna has the "female" end, radio the male), and has no set screw or glue. In fact in my pic, you can see two Nagoya 701 antennas that will go back and replaced with the longer 771G whip antennas, at 15.5" long. And in the future, an external antenna with coax cable (UHF and SMA connectors) may be in the cards.

I had the Tidradio TD H8s that I bought late last year, but sold them to a friend who wanted them (plus he saved a little money). IMO, the Wouxuns are a bit nicer, fit and finish really nice. The two knobs (channels and On/Off/Volume) are firm, hard to spin freely, and have a nice firm click when turning on/off.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17152 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, explain this to me, please.

My local NOAA is 162.55 MHz. Using the factory-supplied antenna, I can receive this station on my UV-5R, but if I change the antenna to the Abbree AR-771 antenna (clearly marked UHF/VHF) I get nothing on that frequency.

162.55 MHz. That's VHF, yes? What's the deal?

Posts: 109017 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not quite right
Picture of P220forever
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

After taking the pics, I installed the factory antennas, belt clips, and batteries then turned them on, greeted by a female voice "channel mode one"- and yes, the batteries have a full charge. Without reading the manual, I used the top left knob to dial in Ch. 4 on both units, the GMRS channels are pre-programmed. I jumped into my truck to do several 10 second radio checks, and drove 2 blocks away, contacted my wife, she responded "crisp, loud and clear". I drove several more blocks, same results. Made it to my final destination this evening at our local market/outdoor mall and pulled into the parking lot. Our transmission was audible, but a little bit of static. My wife went out to our back patio, and I got out of the truck- "crisp, loud and clear". I drove 2.5 miles from the house, it is perhaps 2 miles as the crow flies. Suburban neighborhood, most houses two-story. Drove back home, basically a 10-15 minute test.

So far, impressed with the instant results, out of the box with no fiddling with settings. Looking at the manual, it is concise and clearly written. Once we get our call sign next week, we will test these for further distances and different locations in our area, put some time into these. Then hopefully try some repeater transmissions also, but just a cursory search on mygmrs.com, we have a minimum of six local repeaters using an open system.

Totally love mine. With Nagoya 771G antennas.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Henderson (Vegas), Nevada | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some antennae are cheaply-made fakes.

So are some radios, batteries, etc.

I try to buy from reputable companies (buytwowayradios), or at least companies that haven't lied to me in the past.

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The antenna was shipped with the radios and came directly from Abbree and marked Abbree.

Posts: 109017 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This is all new to me. I don't want to side track the thread; not sure if I should start a different thread. Perhaps if the answer is short and quick, it's good to keep everything in one place for reference for others like me.

Again, all of this is new and largely jargon for me. I tried to look up some of this stuff but it's a bit overwhelming. That being said, I'd like to take a step forward.

Can someone help me identify an offering from Midland, Rugged or some other non-chicom company. I'd like to buy something comparable or better to the BF UV5R but I'm averse to buying a chicom company product. Midland may or may not be made in prc but at least it seems to be an American company.

I'd like to prepare and have radios like discussed above. Just trying to buy non-chicom if possible. Lots to learn here.

Sorry for thread drift if not appropriate.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13081 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The antenna was shipped with the radios and came directly from Abbree and marked Abbree.

Maybe the longer antenna is more "specific"? Have you tried .525 or .500?

Posts: 3594 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you unscrewed the original antenna there is a small gold colored lock washer on the radio side of the connection. it sometimes backs out a small ways and prevents fully seating the new antenna. remove the new one and snug up that washer then reinstall. should be good.

Posts: 233 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by konata88:
...I'm averse to buying a chicom company product...

Midland is headquartered in the u.s. but manufactured in PRC.

Kenwood is a good radio, its manufactured in Japan as is Yaesu and ICOM.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Can someone help me identify an offering from Midland, Rugged or some other non-chicom company. I'd like to buy something comparable or better to the BF UV5R but I'm averse to buying a chicom company product. Midland may or may not be made in prc but at least it seems to be an American company.

I'd like to prepare and have radios like discussed above. Just trying to buy non-chicom if possible. Lots to learn here.

Before buying my Wouxun radios, I briefly looked at the Rocky Talkie, a U.S. company based in Colorado. They have two radios, a 2 watt FRS one and a 5 watt GMRS one. $100 and $165. The 5 watt has 30 GMRS channels (22 + 8 repeater), is not programable, doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, just a few buttons, but is rated IP67 waterproof, and is supposed to be built like a tank. Designed by U.S. folks, but manufactured in China. It seems to be designed for the outdoor sporting type. Who knows, I may get one for its super rugged features, they look pretty cool.

https://rockytalkie.com/products/5-watt-radio

posted Hide Post

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltz400:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
...I'm averse to buying a chicom company product...

Midland is headquartered in the u.s. but manufactured in PRC.

Kenwood is a good radio, its manufactured in Japan as is Yaesu and ICOM.

Some, yes. My Yaesu FT-250 (ham) HT has 'Made in China' stickers on both the battery and the radio itself. I bought that before my own aversion to buying chicom-anything fully developed. I suspect that as time goes on, more and more products will have their manufacturing moved to China.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post