SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United Autoworkers contract expires on 14 September / UAW strike ends
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United Autoworkers contract expires on 14 September / UAW strike ends Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They voted for the tier system 12 years ago or so.

Go ahead and get your 32 hour week, your plants will close so fast your heads will spin.

And lets see how much solidarity there is only closing select plants while the other union brothers keep working. Solidarity my ass, I have watched these guys screw each other over a nickel. You should see the "brotherhood" when a plant is closing and those high seniority guys come to another plant to take jobs... Lol.. Its like watching someone take Hunters crack away.

I've seen arguments and serious ass chapping over a half hour of overtime, placement of a picnic table, etc.

U
Ain't
Workin

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnn.com/business/l...lantis-ford-09-15-23

The UAW is referring to its targeted strikes as a "Stand Up Strike." But what does that mean?

The union created a website to explain the concept.

"The Stand Up Strike is a new approach to striking. Instead of striking all plants all at once, select locals will be called on to 'Stand Up' and walk out on strike," according to the page.

"As time goes on, more locals may be called on to 'Stand Up' and join the strike," the description continued. "This gives us maximum leverage and maximum flexibility in our fight to win a fair contract at each of the Big Three automakers."

The targeted strike against three plants includes fewer than 13,000 of the UAW's 145,000 workers. But union president Shawn Fain has threatened to grow the strike if the automakers refuse to meet workers' demands

Posts: 19603 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
https://www.cnn.com/business/l...lantis-ford-09-15-23

The UAW is referring to its targeted strikes as a "Stand Up Strike." But what does that mean?

The union created a website to explain the concept.

"The Stand Up Strike is a new approach to striking. Instead of striking all plants all at once, select locals will be called on to 'Stand Up' and walk out on strike," according to the page.

"As time goes on, more locals may be called on to 'Stand Up' and join the strike," the description continued. "This gives us maximum leverage and maximum flexibility in our fight to win a fair contract at each of the Big Three automakers."

The targeted strike against three plants includes fewer than 13,000 of the UAW's 145,000 workers. But union president Shawn Fain has threatened to grow the strike if the automakers refuse to meet workers' demands

I have to ask, can the Big 3 do a lock out?

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:

My thoughts exactly. If they can they should. I would think that plenty of people would like those jobs and not have to put up with the union BS.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6738 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
From the bottom of the third to last post on page 3 of this thread:

“The UAW’s legal counsel, attorney Ben Dictor, detailed management’s legal obligation to maintain the status quo in terms of wages, workload, job assignments and more. He advised union activists to be on the lookout for any unilateral changes made by management.“

Posts: 11003 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Unprecedented UAW Strike: 13,000 Workers Walk Off Job At 'Big Three' US Auto Plants

Update (0800ET):

General Motors CEO Mary Barra told CNBC in an interview:

"I'm frustrated and disappointed. We don't need to be on strike right now.

"We have a very generous offer on the table right now. It's historic. From a wage increase perspective, it's the most significant offer we've had in our 115-year history."

Still, GM's offer and Ford's and Stellantis' offers are still well below the demand threshold for the union.

For the first time in United Auto Workers' 88-year history, the union has mobilized a strike against Detroit's "Big Three" automakers - General Motors, Ford, and Stellantis, the producer of Chrysler. Negotiations for a new four-year labor contract between UAW and the three automakers broke down before midnight, triggering a strike at several manufacturing plants.

As many as 13,000 UAW workers abandoned their workstations. They walked out of factories belonging to the Big Three, including the Ford Motor Co. plant in Michigan that makes Bronco SUVs, a General Motors Co. factory in Missouri that assembles Chevrolet Colorado pickups, and a Stellantis NV plant in Ohio that builds Jeep Wrangler SUVs, at 2359 ET (as the current labor contract expired).

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...oit-automaker-plants

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24166 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:

My thoughts exactly. If they can they should. I would think that plenty of people would like those jobs and not have to put up with the union BS.

I think it may be now or never.

With these types of demands the choices are:
1. Move all manufacturing outside the US.
2. Break the union.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24166 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is why we have trucks that cost 90,000 dollars. You'd think sticking a fender on an automobile or putting a bolt in a hole is the most difficult work, requiring genius technicians who are as rare as hen's teeth. I hope unions destroy themselves by making their product unaffordable for their customers, and that's where it's headed.

Posts: 107703 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:

I don't believe that this is going to end well for either the Union or the Dealerships that sell the Big 3 auto brands. I believe the Big 3 have been anticipating and counting on a strike for some time.

The Big 3 kept assembly lines running even when demand was starting to wane. So many of the dealerships are stocked to carry through in the short term. However, all the auto manufacturers want to eliminate the dealership model and start dealing direct to consumers like Tesla. A prolonged strike may force many smaller dealerships out of business.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, all the auto manufacturers want to eliminate the dealership model and start dealing direct to consumers like Tesla. A prolonged strike may force many smaller dealerships out of business.

State Franchise laws prohibit this, they don't want to sell direct and have to build up service points as a factory and by law they cannot, so unless they change the laws at the state level, in every state then it can't happen.

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
unless they change the laws at the state level, in every state then it can't happen...

How does Tesla do it?

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
For nearly all of my adult life I was Union . IBEW . I'm retired now so I don't have a dog in this fight . My personal opinion is that the UAW has gone too far . Their demands are unreasonable .They have a pro union administration in DC and this may also serve to embolden them . It will be interesting to see who get's strongarmed into caving .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
unless they change the laws at the state level, in every state then it can't happen...

How does Tesla do it?

Florida has a specific exception that allows manufacturers that don’t have existing franchise dealers to sell direct.

Posts: 11003 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ah, OK. So Tesla is allowed to have a direct model because it doesn't have existing franchise dealers. The car dealers have pretty good lobbyists and this seems designed to protect them.

-rduckwor

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Assholes

"September 15: GM Statement on UAW Strike
The UAW has informed GM that they are on strike at Wentzville Assembly in Missouri as of 11:59 p.m. We are disappointed by the UAW leadership's actions, despite the unprecedented economic package GM put on the table, including historic wage increases and manufacturing commitments. We will continue to bargain in good faith with the union to reach an agreement as quickly as possible for the benefit of our team members, customers, suppliers and communities across the U.S. In the meantime, our priority is the safety of our workforce.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2023"

https://www.gmnegotiations2023...tiation-updates.html

They build the Colorado/Canyon and Express/Savana vans at this plant

The vans are in extremely short supply and I was about to have some built. ASSHOLES!!!!!

POS crybaby's

Posts: 5346 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ Ah, OK. So Tesla is allowed to have a direct model because it doesn't have existing franchise dealers. The car dealers have pretty good lobbyists and this seems designed to protect them.

Yes, it is.

However, the big three only need to crack one state.

Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

"September 15: GM Statement on UAW Strike
The UAW has informed GM that they are on strike at Wentzville Assembly in Missouri as of 11:59 p.m. We are disappointed by the UAW leadership's actions, despite the unprecedented economic package GM put on the table, including historic wage increases and manufacturing commitments. We will continue to bargain in good faith with the union to reach an agreement as quickly as possible for the benefit of our team members, customers, suppliers and communities across the U.S. In the meantime, our priority is the safety of our workforce.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2023"

I was wondering why they waited to the last minute to bargain, they knew the time limit but let it expire. From what I read here GM's offer wasn't good enough, so that kinda tells me that both parties saw a strike coming. I would suspect that GM has a plan to put in action, they are putting on a show for the news media at this point.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^What make you think they waited until the last minute to bargain?

A few snippets from the linked story on the previous page:

UAW locals get marching orders for strike against Big Three
Updated: Sep. 15, 2023, 7:26 a.m.|Published: Sep. 14, 2023, 10:10 p.m.

- At 10 p.m. on Thursday, UAW President Shawn Fain announced three locals were selected to start the strike at midnight. Those locals represent Ford Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Stellantis Toledo Assembly Complex in Ohio and General Motors Wentzville Assembly Center in Missouri.

The contract between the UAW and Ford, Stellantis and General Motors expires at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 14. Fain has repeatedly said the union will not grant an extension if an agreement is not met by the deadline. Bargaining will pause temporarily on Friday, Sept. 15, so Fain and UAW leadership can join picket lines.

- Ford’s CEO Jim Farley took to cable news on Thursday night saying the wage hike in addition to shortened work weeks would put the company into bankruptcy.

“You want us to choose bankruptcy over supporting our workers,” said Farley, in a CNBC interview.

https://www.cleveland.com/news...ainst-big-three.html

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8947 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Car dealers, McDonalds, Burger King, Chick-fil-a, Motorcycle, anything that is a franchise....

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I belonged to the Oil Chemical and Atomic workers union. It was mandatory because it was a closed shop. Never did a thing for me. Went on strike and lost two weeks pay. I understood why things cost so much after that experience.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post