SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United Autoworkers contract expires on 14 September / UAW strike ends
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United Autoworkers contract expires on 14 September / UAW strike ends Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The auto companies aren't "kowtowing" to a green agenda. They are responding to govt regulations. You don't just whip out a new car. It takes years and hundreds of millions of dollars to produce a new model. They have to look out 5 - 15 years and see where they need to be at that time. The govt and liberal green agenda is telling them this is where they need to go. If they could make nothing but trucks and SUVs they would.

The union is just sealing its fate. They have been given good solid offers that anyone would love. They are now being greedy lazy entitled parasites who will kill the host.

In their greed they are screwing tens of thousands of suppliers and other workers.

As for the poor tier workers, you voted for this. And its the only reason they didn't all flee to Mexico years ago.

I hope this now drags out and they all feel the pain. I have ZERO sympathy for these greedy lazy shitbags. Zero. You all walked off jobs many would love to have. And you pissed on good offers that anyone would be thrilled with.

In the meantime you morons... The non union foreign auto makers will keep running and selling and taking market share.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have ZERO sympathy for these greedy lazy shitbags. Zero. You all walked off jobs many would love to have. And you pissed on good offers that anyone would be thrilled with.

Yep.

quote:
Labor and govt will force the automakers into a deal they won't be able to afford for very long, because neither the product or consumer is ready. We could eventually end up like Cuba, driving around decades-old, gas powered vehicles.

I'll keep my older ICE vehicles. They are going to kill off the former "Big Three" automakers.
American made cars will be made in southern, non-union states. The Japanese auto makers already are.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24572 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Ford Motor Company shares fell in premarket trading after United Auto Workers significantly escalated its strikes against the automaker by targeting its largest and most profitable plant.

On Wednesday evening, 8,700 UAW members walked off the job at the highly profitable SUV and truck plant in Louisville, Kentucky. The plant produces Ford Super Duty pickups, the Ford Expedition, and the Lincoln Navigator SUVs.

In a statement to AP News, Ford called the strike expansion "grossly irresponsible" and said it poses "serious consequences for our workforce, suppliers, dealers and commercial customers."

One of those consequences of the almost month long strike has been a "permanent strike" as automakers are forced to lay off thousands of workers.

https://www.zerohedge.com/mark...lant-kentucky-strike

Kentucky is a right to work state. Interesting.

Kentucky’s right-to-work law makes it illegal for a worker to be required to join or remain in the union of a unionized workplace. The law also makes illegal for workers to be required to pay union dues even if they directly benefit from higher wages and benefits negotiated by a union.

In 2017, Kentucky’s legislature passed, and the Governor signed, 2017 HB2 1, commonly referred to as the Kentucky Right to Work Act. The new law specifically amended KRS 336.130(3) to provide that no employee is required to become, or remain, a member of a labor organization, or to pay dues, fees, or assessments to a labor organization.

In 2018, the Kentucky Supreme Court ruled that Kentucky’s Right to Work Act was constitutional and could remain in effect. See Zuckerman v. Bevin, 565 S.W.3d 580, 605 (Ky. 2018) Kentucky’s Right to Work Act remains in effect today.

The union proposal for pay and benefits costs a few nickels shy of $150,000 per year for unskilled labor.

Fire them, put an ad in the paper for current pay and benefits. The line will stretch all the way back to Detroit.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24572 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Fire them, put an ad in the paper for current pay and benefits. The line will stretch all the way back to Detroit.

+1

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6775 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
+2

Posts: 5530 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.fidelity.com/news/...ED_KBN31D0UW-OUSBS_1

UAW says new strikes at Detroit Three will come without notice

DETROIT (Reuters) -United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain said on Friday that the union will not expand its strike against the Detroit Three automakers at the moment, but said its members would now walk out of additional facilities without warning rather than wait until Fridays to announce new plans.

"We're entering a new phase of this fight and it demands a new approach," said Fain in a livestreamed address on social media. He shifted tactics with little notice on Wednesday when he ordered a walkout at Ford Motor's Kentucky Truck heavy-duty pickup and large SUV factory - the automaker's largest, most lucrative single operation globally.

"We're not waiting until Fridays anymore," he said. "Now there's only one rule - pony up."

The UAW strike has hit the one-month mark with more than 34,000 union members working at Ford, General Motors and Chrysler parent Stellantis out on strike, including those at Ford's cash-cow Kentucky plant.

cont...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39218 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Only non union made vehicles for me from now on.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's no shit! Screw them!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39218 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Now there's only one rule - pony up."

They are just asking to be locked out and replaced.
Do they really think that their jobs are so skilled that no one else can do them?

-rduckwor

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do they really think that their jobs are so skilled that no one else can do them?
Short answer, yes. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6362 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
You think so?

The people that installed our in-ground irrigation system were here to winterize it early this afternoon. When I told them I'd been installing, configuring, and programming my own irrigation controllers, and that every spring I replaced my own failed sprinkler heads, I was offered a part time job with them at $20/hour.

Why would they offer a 72-year-old, retired, amateur sprinkler system guy such a job? Easy: Nobody wants to work. Same story everywhere I go.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I think so! According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, an 'average' UAW autoworker makes about $28 per hour...And then there's the benefits and bonuses! People would gladly work for the pay and benefits the United Autoworkers currently enjoy!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9428 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I've known and talked with a few union workers over the years. My overall impression is they were skilled and competent, but often seemed critical and demanding with their company, which was obviously shaped by their union. In all cases I thought how lucky they were to have such good pay and outstanding benefits for their type and amount of work. In some cases it seemed astounding to me, esp. considering their absent or minimal preparation before they started that line of work, and getting the job via common family connections to the union as in father then son, uncle then nephew, that sort of thing. Not uncommon for some industries and lines of work, but just going in with nothing to offer and being coddled from day one, seemed a little over the top from my experience in a very competitive line of work.

I heard they were also asking for a four day workweek. If that wasn't a 10-4 day workweek, I'd tell them to take a hike.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8914 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Easy: Nobody wants to work. Same story everywhere I go.

Bullshit. You clearly haven't applied for any jobs recently.

People may not be lining up around the block to dig irrigation ditches or wait tables, but competition is fierce for many other types of jobs these days.

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Short answer, yes. Roll Eyes
Short TERM , yes . Every one of those people had to be trained . They can do it again if that's their only option .

Posts: 4242 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Bullshit. You clearly haven't applied for any jobs recently.

People may not be lining up around the block to dig irrigation ditches or wait tables, but competition is fierce for many other types of jobs these days.
I dunno. A lot of small businesses around here have shut down because they can't get workers and the mom-and-pop owners burned out, trying to do everything. I see a LOT of "Help Wanted" or "We're Hiring" signs, almost as many of these signs as the ones that I see street corner panhandlers holding -- the ones that say "Out of Work, Please Help."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31374 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Again, you're generally going to be talking about entry-level retail, labor, and service positions.

Just because fewer folks nowadays want to sell knick-knacks for $12/hour, or dig ditches for $14/hour, or wait tables for $8/hour plus tips, doesn't mean "nobody wants to work anymore". They just don't want those jobs. All the ones who do want to work are just out there competing for other jobs with better pay, better work hours, better benefits, etc. instead.

So you can't take those kind of examples of unfilled jobs and extrapolate out that they would never be able to fill these auto manufacturing jobs with great pay and benefits. Apples and oranges.

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is easy to simply blame the would-be worker but the fact is that we have made this mess for ourselves.
Raising the minimum wage that eliminates the young entry level worker leaving older workers with no experience, ability or drive to do the started type of jobs.
We have to pay them more because they cannot survive on the lower income and to boot it eliminates those younger workers that do not have the same lack of drive.
Additionally, we supplement everyone and anybody for no reason therefore creating the entitlement state.
It is an evolution of destruction of the economy, but to simplify it by saying workers do not want to work is missing some important elements.

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From the other side of the table, it's not easy to find qualified people who want to work for reasonable pay anymore.

Wifes company pays very well, 401K, Employee Stock, both max matching, full benefit PPO healthcare plan, flex hours, WFT options, and it's become increasingly difficult to find people that A) will work for reasonable pay with benefits, B) are good enough to make the requirements ie licensed, C) that end up being just serious screw ups.

She's seen the company pay retention bonus money plus higher wages to keep someone. It's a sellers market, not buyers.

These are not $12 an hour retail counter positions, but office $20hr plus starting pay.

The problem is finding the people that want jobs, who will work the hours, and can absorb the training, from production standpoint it's getting people up to speed and putting out a quality vehicle from the new work force.

Unions know that it's a tight market for finding qualified employees, you're looking at a lot of training expenses to bring people up to speed and then the subsequent quality issues.

It's not simply putting an ad in the paper and hiring anyone with the tech on the assembly lines anymore.

Posts: 24208 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll keep my older ICE vehicles. They are going to kill off the former "Big Three" automakers.
American made cars will be made in southern, non-union states. The Japanese auto makers already are.

My go to has always been Japanese vehicles and if built in Japan, even more so as their build quality is 2nd to none in my book. But I’m very proud that my Japanese truck was built in Alabama. It may be Japanese but built in the USA is very cool. Keeping it for life too.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12924 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post