SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speedmaster or Submariner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speedmaster or Submariner? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Well played -- That's super nice! I too pulled the trigger yesterday. Mine will have to be ordered, so I've no pics of my own yet. Here's a pic stolen from the web. This has a different strap than OEM, but it's one that I plan to source and use, as the OEM strap is Zzzzzzboring.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
SCHWEEET!! Nice pickup. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
Here it is, just a Nexus phone pic:

Can someone explain to me how the dial works on that watch?
My submariner, no date, was purchased in 1971, and the dial is much simpler, just minutes elapsed.
Thanks!

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It looks like average miles per hour over 1 mile. Assuming the hand starts at noon, wherever it falls after you've travelled a mile is your average speed in Miles per hour.

Posts: 11597 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My guess would you hit the start button and the long thin hand that's pointed at noon starts counting seconds. After you've traveled a known distance (miles, meters, kilometers, feet, whatever), you hit the stop button and the hand should be pointing at your approximate average speed over an hour (known distance multiplied by the indicated number).

For instance, if it takes you 30 seconds to travel 1 mile, the hand should be pointing down at 120 indicating your average speed of 120mph.

If it takes you 45 seconds to travel 1 km, then your average speed would 80 km meters per hour (80 indicated x 1km known distance).

If it takes you 10 seconds to travel 100 meters, then your average hourly speed would be roughly 35,000 meters per hour (350 indicated x 100 meters).

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
What Aeteocles said, with the addition that I believe the left subdial is a "small seconds" which runs continually, and the subdial on the right counts minutes elapsed on the timer. The date window is at 6 o'clock.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here it is, just a Nexus phone pic:

Congratulations. That is a great looking watch. I am trying to decide between a Speedmaster Moon Watch and a Tag Heuer Carrera chronograph with their in house movement. I purchased a Seamaster PO 600M Chronograph late last year and wear it all the time. This was my first Chronograph so I was looking at another one.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful. When I step into the world of fine watches I think it will be with a Speedmaster.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Omega... The last watch you'll ever own Wink

I have an Omega Seamaster and I love it. A bit on the bulky & heavy side but rugged and very accurate. Not for someone with small wrists - it would overwhelm. Get lots of comments on it.

Posts: 1994 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... that is a beautiful watch.

Well done, sir!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Well played -- That's super nice! I too pulled the trigger yesterday. Mine will have to be ordered, so I've no pics of my own yet. Here's a pic stolen from the web. This has a different strap than OEM, but it's one that I plan to source and use, as the OEM strap is Zzzzzzboring.

I thought you had given up on Omega? Word on the street is you sold your last one to some cretin

Posts: 1703 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
That is a beautiful watch. But I find it odd that a man who would wear such a beautiful watch would wear such gaudy earrings Wink

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjtnova:
quote:

I thought you had given up on Omega? Word on the street is you sold your last one to some cretin

\

Round and round and round.... Such is the obsession. I think I've been through about 30 world class watches. But only a few at a time. Spending the same money over and over and over again.

Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
How old is that speedy, r0gue? The hands look like it's vintage.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brand new. It's a sort of "tribute" watch. Legitimate vintage ref. 2998 Speedmasters trade in the $20k range now! Eek

https://www.omegawatches.com/w...ga-in-space/product/

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
What Aeteocles said, with the addition that I believe the left subdial is a "small seconds" which runs continually, and the subdial on the right counts minutes elapsed on the timer. The date window is at 6 o'clock.

Mostly. The movement in that Speedmaster is the same as the one in the Planet Ocean Chrono. The right dial actually has 2 hands: one for minutes, one for hours. If you're really anal and can time it right, you can use the right dial as a GMT if you run the chronograph all the time.

Here's an image of what I'm talking about:

I also love the 60 hour power reserve.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Ahh, thanks to Dan H. for the clarification!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Speedy's and Ocean's and Roley's and Brietling's. All these watches are beautiful in their own right. You get what sings to you and makes you smile as so many of you all did. They're all beautiful watches guys, enjoy!

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Brand new. It's a sort of "tribute" watch. Legitimate vintage ref. 2998 Speedmasters trade in the $20k range now! Eek

https://www.omegawatches.com/w...ga-in-space/product/

Oh, like this:

https://davidsw.com/product/om...tch-limited-edition/

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Nearly the same watch. I wanted the more toned down pseudo-traditional dial.