SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speedmaster or Submariner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speedmaster or Submariner? Login/Join 
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted
So, I've decided it's time to get a new watch. It's been a great year at work and I have some money to burn.

I've always wanted the steel/black Submariner, but lately my eye has wandered towards the Omega Moonwatch.

Of course, I'm having a hard time choosing. Probably, I'll eventually have both, but one has to come first.

What says the Sigforum think tank?

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Omega... The last watch you'll ever own Wink

Posts: 13831 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both are great watches, but are designed for way different applications.

Determine if you want your first watch to be a rugged tool watch that is rated for depth. Or if you want your first watch to be a chronograph that went to the moon.

Good luck with your "dilemma." It's a great "problem" to have.

Best,

Jake

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
Both are great watches, but are designed for way different applications.

Determine if you want your first watch to be a rugged tool watch that is rated for depth. Or if you want your first watch to be a chronograph that went to the moon.

Good luck with your "dilemma." It's a great "problem" to have.

Best,

Jake

Thanks, but the real "application" is just telling the time and enjoying the look and feel of the thing. If I need a chronograph I'll probably use my smartphone, or maybe my Seiko if I happen to be wearing it. As for depth, I'm considering getting SCUBA certified, but even then, not sure I'd wear a Rolex to dive with. I'd probably use my Seiko automatic diver for that.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
So, here are my considerations.

- The Rolex is more expensive but will hold its value better over time. Neither is a huge factor as I don't intend to sell it and the price difference, while significant, isn't a deal breaker.
- The Rolex is what I've always wanted, but I now sorta feel like it's also what everyone defaults to. Maybe there's good reason for that...but the Speedy is a bit more unique.
- The Moonwatch lore is cool and all, but I'm not going to the moon anytime soon. I do like the look of the watch.
- If I get the Rolex, date or no date? I always assumed "date" but now I'm thinking it looks cleaner without the big Cyclops bubble. The Speedy has no date. I don't need my watch to tell me the date, and a diver certainly isn't worried about what the date is as it won't change while you're down there. So not sure why it needs it. It also saves a grand not to get the date feature.
- Gray market, used, or new? I'm usually the type who is fine with the gray market or used, but for some reason I feel like I want this purchase to be legit and virginal. Not sure why...

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
One is a manual wind built considering lack of pressure, the other is an auto wind designed for great pressure.

It's a matter of choice, which one speaks to you.

I'm a Rolex guy, bought my Sub Date in 82 - 16800 and my Yacht-Master (currently on wrist) in 2003.

Had a Daytona (new movement) for a short time, it was two tone black dial which wasn't right for me.

I'd own a Daytona over a Speedmaster, but that's me. You do what's right for you.

Posts: 2837 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Submariner without a doubt...

Posts: 26 | Location: Way Up North, Maine | Registered: April 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I have owned quite a few vintage subs - used to restore the cases and on the 5513s I would adjust them the old fashioned way down to +/- 1 sec. per day variation.

I have also had a few pre-moon Speedmasters which I closely relate to because of watching the moon landing from a bed at the 71st Evac. Hospital, Pleiku, RVN.

I stopped liking/enjoying the Subs when they went away from the painted dials. In fact, I gave up on the GMTs, Explorers, etc. for the same reason - just do not like a green glow in daylight. The Speedmaster has been more faithful to the original design over the years.

I have been wearing a 1967 Speedmaster for several years and this is my final watch. Yes, I would like to have back some of the vintage subs, but the Speedmaster "speaks" to me and I enjoy hand-winding it each morning.

After Katrina, I noticed a lot of construction people (same as when the oil fields in Texas and offshore were booming) wore new Subs. When they got a bit of money, the Sub was the way to go. Never saw a new Speedmaster, because the "success" image was definitely with the Subs.

I also find it hard to speed over $6,000 for a sub when I used to buy and sell them for under $1,200 - first one was $300 and it could have been $175 but I didn't have the cash when I got out of the hospital. Frown

Long way around, but the Speedmaster is preferred over the Subs. Smile

PS: if you do go the Sub route, the clean dial no-date is the way to go.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2281 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Speedmaster without a doubt...

Wink

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1780 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Why not both? You will be just like me - LOL.

My father gave me the Speedmaster 42 years ago, "yes" it has all the markings of the Moon Watch on the back, and I bought the Submariner about 8 years ago.

Both are great watches. Like others have said the Omega is a wind watch and the Rolex is an automatic.

You can't go wrong with either watch.

Posts: 3757 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

Eventually, I will. Give it time. Smile

Maybe the real question is, do I spend more now, so that later the Speedy seems cheap, or spend less now, so that I get used spending so much on a watch, gradually?

:P

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Would it be too much to ask for links? I'm just curious how they look comparatively.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38826 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Would it be too much to ask for links? I'm just curious how they look comparatively.

Sure!

Rolex: https://www.rolex.com/watches/.../m116610ln-0001.html

Omega: https://www.omegawatches.com/w...rofessional/product/

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
quote:

Eventually, I will. Give it time. Smile

Maybe the real question is, do I spend more now, so that later the Speedy seems cheap, or spend less now, so that I get used spending so much on a watch, gradually?

:P

To give you an idea:

1) Speedmaster (stainless moon chrono): Purchased ~1975 for $200. I don't know what year they quit selling them with the "first watch worn on the moon" on the back of the case, as I believe that makes mine "vintage". The last time I looked at a new one at a jewelry store they wanted $1800.

2) Submariner (gold & stainless): Purchased ~2003 for $6k. They sell new now for $13k at a jewelry store.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 3757 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, showpro.

Both are classy! Good luck with your decision.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38826 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
To give you an idea:

1) Speedmaster (stainless moon chrono): Purchased ~1975 for $200. I don't know what year they quit selling them with the "first watch worn on the moon" on the back of the case, as I believe that makes mine "vintage". The last time I looked at a new one at a jewelry store they wanted $1800.

2) Submariner (gold & stainless): Purchased ~2003 for $6k. They sell new now for $13k at a jewelry store.

Hope this helps!

Smile

The Speedmaster Professional still says "First watch worn on the moon" on the back of the case. They sell for 5200 new, in a presentation case with some goodies, like a loupe, a tool, a coin, a couple of other straps. Must have been a long time ago that you saw 1800 dollars.

The steel Sub sells for 7500 new without a date and 8500 with.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I like to play with chronos. You get to have controls with it! I've had a speedy. I have a few other chronos now. I've had a sub in the past, I'll have another one day I suspect.

I'm no help huh? Here's a pic of my old one an 861! I'd vote Speedy, and definitely NOT new. Buy pre-owned. ~$3k

Posts: 11404 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
quote:
To give you an idea:

Hope this helps!

Smile

The Speedmaster Professional still says "First watch worn on the moon" on the back of the case. They sell for 5200 new, in a presentation case with some goodies, like a loupe, a tool, a coin, a couple of other straps. Must have been a long time ago that you saw 1800 dollars.

The steel Sub sells for 7500 new without a date and 8500 with.

wow! I guess it has been quite some time...

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
if you don't want a date might I suggest the Milgauss?

https://www.rolex.com/watches/.../m116400gv-0002.html

Still a rolex but less common and different.

Posts: 8157 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post