SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speedmaster or Submariner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speedmaster or Submariner? Login/Join 
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
Love my Speedmaster.

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Submariner. Unless you want to grab one of the automatic Speedmasters. They're very hard to beat, but I'm not a manual watch fan no matter the history. I also find plexiglass on a multi-thousand dollar watch a bit insulting.

You know the plexiglass is there for a real, practical reason. Sapphire glass is hard as hell and damn near impossible to scratch. But it will shatter, and NASA didn't want shards of glass floating around a space capsule. Plexiglass will sractch, but it is hard to break, and when you do break it, it just cracks. No shards.

Insulting? You think Omega is just thumbing its nose at its customers? And they aren't just being cheap, either. Speedmaster buyers would happily pay for sapphire glass, except that many want it exactly original.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Submariner. Unless you want to grab one of the automatic Speedmasters. They're very hard to beat, but I'm not a manual watch fan no matter the history. I also find plexiglass on a multi-thousand dollar watch a bit insulting.

You know the plexiglass is there for a real, practical reason. Sapphire glass is hard as hell and damn near impossible to scratch. But it will shatter, and NASA didn't want shards of glass floating around a space capsule. Plexiglass will sractch, but it is hard to break, and when you do break it, it just cracks. No shards.

Insulting? You think Omega is just thumbing its nose at its customers? And they aren't just being cheap, either. Speedmaster buyers would happily pay for sapphire glass, except that many want it exactly original.

Not to mention, Sapphire is highly reflective, and on a domed crystal, basically throws reflections everywhere. The acrylic crystal on the Speedmaster has a very particular look on that watch. If you are a purist, then the Speedmaster with the acrylic is the way to go.

That said, I went with the No-Date Submariner Black Ceramic because of the clean, sporty look with just enough polish to work as a dress-up watch.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Not to mention, Sapphire is highly reflective, and on a domed crystal, basically throws reflections everywhere. The acrylic crystal on the Speedmaster has a very particular look on that watch. If you are a purist, then the Speedmaster with the acrylic is the way to go.

That said, I went with the No-Date Submariner Black Ceramic because of the clean, sporty look with just enough polish to work as a dress-up watch.

Pics in the watch thread in the Gallery, or it didn't happen!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Having a Speedmaster Man on the Moon, I'd prefer the Submariner. I'm not a big fan of winding manually everyday nor of domed crystals. I have a Tag Carerra with domed crystal and I wish they'd done it differently. Retaining the value is ALWAYS a good thing.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ford or Chevy?

Wait we are talking about watches!

Speedmaster

I'm an Omega man

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Lots of good thinking, here, gents! I can definitely agree with the theory of getting the thing I always wanted, first. And then owning the other eventually anyway!

I also agree that the Sub without the date looks better, but...I've seen where someone swapped the date version crystal for a plain crystal without the Cyclops! It looks pretty damned good. You still get the date mech without the stupid bubble on the crystal. Extra money, but sort of best of both worlds? Something like this:

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro: I also agree that the Sub without the date looks better, but...I've seen where someone swapped the date version crystal for a plain crystal without the Cyclops! It looks pretty damned good. You still get the date mech without the stupid bubble on the crystal. Extra money, but sort of best of both worlds?

One of the big selling points for me with the DSSD was the lack of cyclops.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
It's a shame that Rolex doesn't offer the option of Cyclops/no Cyclops on all the watches.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
To each their own - I love the cyclops!

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
Lots of good thinking, here, gents! I can definitely agree with the theory of getting the thing I always wanted, first. And then owning the other eventually anyway!

I also agree that the Sub without the date looks better, but...I've seen where someone swapped the date version crystal for a plain crystal without the Cyclops! It looks pretty damned good. You still get the date mech without the stupid bubble on the crystal. Extra money, but sort of best of both worlds? Something like this:

I guy on this forum knocked his off with a chisel! Looked perfect, no sign at all of damage. Balls!.... or bourbon.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's actually what the picture I posted was...a knocked-off-with-a-chisel job. Huge balls, but apparently several have done it. Shows how tough that sapphire crystal is.

Here's a few with replaced crystals:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f...22.html#post27719722

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, that's actually what the picture I posted was...a knocked-off-with-a-chisel job. Huge balls, but apparently several have done it. Shows how tough that sapphire crystal is.

Here's a few with replaced crystals:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f...22.html#post27719722

Knowing my luck, if I tried it, I'd end up with a watch with a chisel through the face of it......LOLOLOL

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post

Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Okay, so last night I decided this watch will be an Omega. Yes, the Rolex Sub is the watch I always wanted, but that was a long time ago and my tastes have changed, apparently. I find the Omegas more interesting and appealing at this point in my life.

Now I'm in the Speedmaster vs. Seamaster vortex, and then I'll winnow it down to a specific model.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:...when you do break it, it just cracks. No shards...

I broke mine just a couple of years after I bought it, caught the edge just right and it freaking explodes! pieces, shards, bits, and powder. I can see why NASA would not be keen on this.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, so last night I decided this watch will be an Omega. Yes, the Rolex Sub is the watch I always wanted, but that was a long time ago and my tastes have changed, apparently. I find the Omegas more interesting and appealing at this point in my life.

Now I'm in the Speedmaster vs. Seamaster vortex, and then I'll winnow it down to a specific model.

While I'm usually not big on chronos, I favor the Speedmaster over the Seamaster. Something about the Seamaster line doesn't do it for me.

But, if what you're really​ wanting is a diver, then there's no question, really.

-ShneaSIG

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I own the Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M Chronograph. Great watch. It is big at 45.5mm. I like the orange bezel on this watch.
I was looking at the Speedmaster moon watch. I like the history but something just dose not do it for me with this watch.
I am now looking at a Tag Heuer Carrera CAR201Z-BA0714 Chronograph. I like the look and I know a Jeweler who has a pre owned one at a great price.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice speedy, SC!

(Technically, anyone can own an Omega, too.)

My uncle worked for NASA as a radio tele-communications engineer through all the Apollo missions and some of the shuttle ones.

Maybe that should sway me...hmmm.

Your uncle and my wife's uncle may have crossed paths. Was he at the Cape?

Maybe I should have stated not just anyone owns a Speedy. Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Sea Dweller

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post