SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speedmaster or Submariner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speedmaster or Submariner? Login/Join 
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
h2oys, my local coin dealer has a used Sub just like the one in your picture. Decisions, decisions.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I don't own either, but I have always been more of an Omega fan for some reason. Rolex to me seemed more glitzy and I'm not much for flash.

I had never heard of the "moonwatch" but I think it is really cool. I mostly heard of the Omega Bond wore.

Anyway, carry on. Watch threads here always interest me. Smile

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Very different watches, I had a sub for a bit but it was too small for me. I settled on an Omega PO.

I would go with a Explorer 2, the 42mm is a good size for me.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
It has hard to make the call for someone else. I would go Omega all day long and twice on Sunday. I have wanted a Speedmaster for years. The closest I'll ever come is probably a Strela Poljot. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Rolex. Buy a Speedy later. I'm on my second Rolex because I had always wanted one. Get the one that speaks to YOU.

And, having GEORGE CLOONEY promote the Omega watch was another reason for me to say no.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10931 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I would look if a speedy with a sapphire crystal. Mine has the hesalite and I'm constantly having to polish scratches out of it. I don't even wear the watch that often. My newer Omega planet ocean if my go to watch now.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
And, having GEORGE CLOONEY promote the Omega watch was another reason for me to say no.

I knew that would come up at some point. Razz

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I would look if a speedy with a sapphire crystal. Mine has the hesalite and I'm constantly having to polish scratches out of it. I don't even wear the watch that often. My newer Omega planet ocean if my go to watch now.

I was curious about that. I'm not in love with how the sapphire crystal looks on the speedy. The watch was designed for that acrylic crystal.

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
h2oys, my local coin dealer has a used Sub just like the one in your picture. Decisions, decisions.

Here is a photo of the back. You have a hard decision.

Posts: 3758 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My next watch will be the same as your choices Sub no date or Speedmaster. I am leaning towards the no date sub, because I already have one Omega.

Not my watches, but a good representation of both.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Speedy!
Find a vintage one and have it overhauled.
Speedmasters have a pedigree with NASA.
Anyone can own a Rolex.

Here's my 1971 that belonged to my wife's Uncle, the meteorologist for NASA.

And make sure the bracelet is not a replacement. THIS is the proper late 60's-early 70's clasp.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39780 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Nice Seamaster Dusty! Maybe I should put that into the mix.

https://www.omegawatches.com/w...5-mm/21530442103001/

Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
Nice speedy, SC!

(Technically, anyone can own an Omega, too.)

My uncle worked for NASA as a radio tele-communications engineer through all the Apollo missions and some of the shuttle ones.

Maybe that should sway me...hmmm.

posted Hide Post
Rolex. The resale value between that and the Omega's speaks for itself. They make no Date submariners. My favorite is either the green Dial and face anniversary one from 2003
https://www.bobswatches.com/ro...en-16610-unworn.html

Or the mother of pearl with blue dial

Submariner's can be had with no date.

Posts: 21339 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

I was curious about that. I'm not in love with how the sapphire crystal looks on the speedy. The watch was designed for that acrylic crystal.

Sapphire ruins the look of the watch IMO. The curved Hesalite changes the dial look by lens effect. Much more charming wit the hesalite.

Posts: 11404 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
The Rolex will hold its value better. The moon watch has a great history. I've owned a bunch of watches through the years and settled on an Omega Planet Ocean 42mm. Both are great, I guess it's a question of what you want. A diver or a Chrono?

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4853 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
As others have said, the Sub is an investment grade watch. Keep the papers and packaging and it will hold its value.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
You are asking a great but tough question.
Just like guns everyone has their favorite.
I shoot Sigs and like Omega my wife shoots Glocks and she likes Rolex. Every one has different tastes.
They are both great watches so you cant go wrong. Your best bet is to go try them on at a local AD. If you are looking at grey market be careful. With gray market you usually don't get a manufacturers warranty with the watch, you might only get the sellers warranty if they have one.
I am on the Rolex forum and the Watchuseek forum they have a lot of great info there.
If you buy from a AD don't be afraid to try to negotiate the price.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2592 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Both.

(Yeah, I know. Not practical for most. Either one individually isn't "practical," for most. But that aside: Both models have a place in horological history.)

Rolex-- and especially some of the older Rolex models-- get the "win" for durability. They're built like tanks. I've seen a Sub come off a victim who was incinerated in a car fire. The acrylic crystal was melted and deformed, the dial had turned brown from the heat, but the watch was still running. My "daily wearer" is a Tudor Submariner from 1967 (Tudor was, at that point, Rolex's "off brand") that still keeps time to +3/-3 seconds each day, with the usual cleaning/lubricating/adjusting every few years. The watch went through a few combat tours in SE Asia on its prior owner's wrist, and has not been treated gently on mine.

Posts: 2485 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I vote Omega Speedmaster AND an Invicta automatic (Submariner lookalike) for $80-99 extra from Amazon. Use the extra cash saved over Rolex and get something else! Wink

I have both an Omega Watch and the Invicta. Both have been GREAT watches.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post