SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speedmaster or Submariner?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speedmaster or Submariner? Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Bought my Submariner in 1964; still accurate and attractive.
You can't go wrong with a Rolex.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Speedy all day long. Vintage with the hesalite face. Yes it's soft and will scratch but it's what a speedy is supposed to look like. It polishes out very easily and looks classic.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
Nice Seamaster Dusty! Maybe I should put that into the mix.

https://www.omegawatches.com/w...5-mm/21530442103001/

I'd definitely consider it. I've owned 2 Seamasters since 1999. Love them. The Speedmaster is a good lookin' watch, though.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
h2oys, my local coin dealer has a used Sub just like the one in your picture. Decisions, decisions.

Curious as to what they are asking as that two tone Sub is my Grail watch. Still out of my budget at this point in life.

Posts: 11285 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you have other dive watches, get the Speedy.

If you're only going to have one watch, get the Sub.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't like the current Submariner case as much as the older, more sleek versions.

I'd get a vintage Sub. Or the Speedy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I can throw a wrench into this convo...

I was recently in a similar position, but I was focused on only the Ceramic Bezel Sub (with date).

I can tell you this watch is impressive but the more I read up on the history of Rolex the more I gravitated toward the GMT2.

I ended up calling an audible at the store and went with the GMT2 Ceramic Bezel, about the same money.

I am very happy with my purchase and am now contemplating getting a two-tone GMT2 for special occasions.

Of course all of this is just subterfuge when we start talking about the Daytona, which is just not in my price range at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2512 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I'd go Sub. I don't find chronos very legible. If you're going Speedy, pick one up gently used and save a boatload.

In truth, both are fantastic and storied watches. There is no wrong answer!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Submariner. Unless you want to grab one of the automatic Speedmasters. They're very hard to beat, but I'm not a manual watch fan no matter the history. I also find plexiglass on a multi-thousand dollar watch a bit insulting.

Posts: 4426 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:

Curious as to what they are asking as that two tone Sub is my Grail watch. Still out of my budget at this point in life.

Brad, I don't exactly remember, but I want to say it was around 6500. I think it was a late '90s model.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Submariner. Unless you want to grab one of the automatic Speedmasters. They're very hard to beat, but I'm not a manual watch fan no matter the history. I also find plexiglass on a multi-thousand dollar watch a bit insulting.

You know, the automatic with the coaxial escapement and date is a really nice watch. It's caught my eye, too.

The hunting is most of the fun...right?

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a no date 2 line sub 14060M and I just picked up a 40Mm explorer 2 polar 16570 with my annual bonus. I almost bought a 3570 speedy that was clean as a whistle(no box or papers though) for 2,650 but the guy had no additional links and i didn't want to spend yet more cash on links. you can find a good 3570 or 3590 speedster for ~3k. the 861 that the astronauts used go for way more. the current ones are too much $$ in my opinion. You definitely want the plexiglass 3570 or 3590 or the current model (too many #s to remember) not a speed date or clear back one. again my opinion. the smaller speedos can be had for way less maybe 1k or so used depending on the model. but long term the value may not hold like the moon watch

The sub will retain its value better if thats a concern to you.

A used Explorer 2 is a tremendous value right now. a date & GMT function and same movement as the GMT II watch but can be had for 2-4k or more less than the GMT

Posts: 4956 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, the automatic with the coaxial escapement and date is a really nice watch. It's caught my eye, too.

The hunting is most of the fun...right?

Oh yeah. For a little bit, I had a Schumacher Legend Speedmaster that was a generation before the first co-axial. It was an amazing watch that I was too stupid not to sell. It was super thin, had a 52 hour power reserve, and the "Speedmaster" crystal was sapphire. I do miss it and the strap I put it on.

Posts: 4426 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

I much prefer sapphire crystal but the plexi is there for a reason, and it's period correct for the reason the watch is fameous.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have worn a Rolex sub since 1983, bought the new transition model right out of college for $900.00. I love the watch still, wear it every day, but.....I would never replace it with a new Sub. I don't like the look of the new Sub dial and the price is crazy. I actually used mine for diving for years until computers came on the scene.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Omega Ploprof and several highend Seiko divers watch for more than 5 years now. I looked hard at Rolex Submariner for quite a long time. It doesn't have that appeal to me i.e. too much money for Seiko looks alike with poki dot face. I am sure Rolex made very reliable time piece but I don't like it price and appealing.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: April 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 Submariner's in the past and I have had a couple of Omega's (Planet Ocean XO and Seamaster)

The Speedmaster is a great iconic watch, but for me; it would be the Submariner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1919 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Just another passing thought:

If you want the submariner because that's what you want, then go for it and enjoy!

But, if you're open to exploring other options, but still want to be within the Rolex family, check out the GMT Master II. Submariner looks (a little more dressed up with the polished center links on the bracelet, but rides a little lower on the wrist so it won't catch on shirt and jacket cuffs as easily), and it has an additional and useful complication. If you travel much across time zones, you'll love the way the time sets.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've always wanted the steel/black Submariner,

...then that to me says it all. Why wouldn't you want to get the one you've always wanted, if the opportunity has now arisen that allows you to do so? Don't get distracted by alternatives; keep your eye on the prize.

That said, I also think the Sub is a better looking watch than the Speedmaster, but then again I'm not really a fan of chronographs in general.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Both are the typical first luxury watch purchases. As you said, you will eventually have both. So the first choice isn't really that important.

If you really want a vintage Speedmaster, Watchuseek is the place to look without getting ripped off. A lot for sale over there.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post