SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The riots in America and the attempted overthrow of the United States
Page 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 352
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The riots in America and the attempted overthrow of the United States Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I have no idea what the hell is going on with the local "leadership" in some of these cities. The long-term effects of these riots are going to be crippling.

There's a few stores here in Chicago that are unable to re-open, others that are unwilling to re-open. Anything from the "Mom and Pop" shops to Macy's which occupies EIGHT floors in Water Tower Place.
That's a lot of revenue lost!

One estimate of the damage from last weeks shitshow was low balled at $60 Million, I'd honestly put it over $100 million. That's one night worth of looting. This is hitting a city that's already $700 million in the hole.

Someone is going to have to foot this bill.

Which brings up two additional related issues:

1) At some point, the sheer cost of repairing the stores and restocking the inventory outweighs any incentives or benefits to reopening on Michigan Avenue. What's Lightweight going to do---give free rent to retailers who stay? I seriously doubt that. The property owners need that income to rebuild the damage to their buildings.

2) If the stores don't return to Michigan Avenue, do they go to places like Oakbrook or other large and attractive shopping venues? If they do that, will the rioters and looters follow them out to those nice areas and make life miserable to the retailers and residents there? I'd think if that happened, those residents might fight back.

No good alternatives here.

Posts: 4499 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Portland still out of control

https://www.breitbart.com/2020...ce-offices-attacked/

Riots continued Wednesday evening in Portland, Oregon, as roughly 200 activists marched on the offices of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), smashed windows, set, fires, and attacked both local and federal police.

videos at link

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Governor pushes back after Chicago mayor lays blame on Mississippi....

It’s funny how these mayors always blame the violence on guns coming from free states, but fail to address why the free states don’t have gun violence issues. If the ease of getting guns is the problem why don’t the states these gun supposedly come from have problems?

Because it’s not a gun problem of course. It’s a cultural problem. These cities are full of thugs and the Democrats that run these cities encourage the thugs with their policies.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
A Glock 19 goes for about $2300 worth of meth in Chicago right now at a distributor level.

Those that aren’t stolen are straw purchases.

I did not know the markup for a gun with no paperwork was so high.

Damn.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

It’s funny how these mayors always blame the violence on guns coming from free states, but fail to address why the free states don’t have gun violence issues. If the ease of getting guns is the problem why don’t the states these gun supposedly come from have problems?

Because it’s not a gun problem of course. It’s a cultural problem. These cities are full of thugs and the Democrats that run these cities encourage the thugs with their policies.

It's more simple than that, it's a criminal thing, you're either one or you're not. If you are and there's no consequences, it breeds more criminals. Chicago and other deep blue cities have declared war on the law abiding citizens and until they change the way they vote, it will continue. Of the 2.7 million people in Chicago that were eligible to vote in the last election, 29% voted. Those are pathetic numbers, but what do you expect if asked to choose between a broken left or broken right leg. I know what side I'm on when the true shit hits the fan and I'm ready.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Which brings up two additional related issues:

1) At some point, the sheer cost of repairing the stores and restocking the inventory outweighs any incentives or benefits to reopening on Michigan Avenue. What's Lightweight going to do---give free rent to retailers who stay? I seriously doubt that. The property owners need that income to rebuild the damage to their buildings.

2) If the stores don't return to Michigan Avenue, do they go to places like Oakbrook or other large and attractive shopping venues? If they do that, will the rioters and looters follow them out to those nice areas and make life miserable to the retailers and residents there? I'd think if that happened, those residents might fight back.

No good alternatives here.

Lightfooot can't give away free rent- that's not her call. Tax insentives is about all she can do, and she can't even do that, because Chicago needs the tax dollars.

I know Tiffany is packing up shop and probably not coming back for a long time. Gucci stores in the surrounding suburbs have gotten an email stating "be prepared to absorb the inventory of the Chicago store".

Oak brook, Naperville, Barrington... They are have been dealing with the savages for a few years now. The suburbs outside of Cook Co don't play around! They will lock them up! Which makes a great deterrent before riots and looting start. Those suburban areas also know how to protect their investments (i.e. Malls).

Hell, if YOU were a business owner here, wouldn't YOU LEAVE? It's not like the store is moving to the end of the earth, only an hour or so outside the City, still close enough to attract shoppers and $ from here. I don't care how you vote, the bottom line is the bottom line...

KLUSK- glad to see you're alive!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tax insentives is about all she can do, and she can't even do that, because Chicago needs the tax dollars.

YOu can give away years of tax incentives, but when the customers decide that area isn't safe to shop, well, game over...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have contributed to a culture of impunity

When Authority Vanishes Chicago’s leaders have surrendered to vandals.
quote:
Riding in trucks and U-Hauls, vandals came to downtown Chicago on Sunday. They jammed streets around the Magnificent Mile, home of the city’s most important shopping district. They came prepared with tools like crowbars to pry open gates and take all the merchandise that they could pack. It was a strike directed at the heart of the city.

While the vandals were organized, the police were not. Earlier in the day, a policeman had returned fire and wounded a suspect. False rumors spread that the suspect was an unarmed juvenile. Crowds gathered; social media lit up with menace. But the police did not deploy in force until looters flooded into places with the most valuable goods.

The sacking of Chicago’s North Side was more than a tactical failure. For months, key officials—the state’s attorney responsible for prosecution, the mayor, and the governor—have failed to condemn criminals sufficiently or act with necessary force against such violence. They have contributed to a culture of impunity that tolerates mobs and hoodlums.

Audio insight from the above author
Chicago’s Ransacking and Illinois’ Fiscal Blues

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, no, no lori, it doesn't work like this-

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...c06H?ocid=uxbndlbing

CHICAGO — The Chicago Police Department has effectively banned protesters from demonstrating on Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s block in the Logan Square neighborhood, ordering officers to arrest anyone who refuses to leave, the Tribune has learned.

The directive surfaced in a July email from then-Shakespeare District Commander Melvin Roman to officers under his command. It did not distinguish between the peaceful protesters Lightfoot regularly says she supports and those who might intend to be destructive, but ordered that after a warning is given to demonstrators, “It should be locked down.”

Since the order, and even for a time just prior to its writing, Chicago cops have repeatedly blocked protesters’ access to the block with groups of officers and barricades. Police have often kept protesters contained at the nearby corner of Kimball and Wrightwood avenues, though one standoff between activists and officers last month saw police go as far as bringing in an armored vehicle in case things got out of hand...

Some Logan Square residents agreed, criticizing the city’s approach to the protests. Lauren Dean, who lives nearby and emailed the Tribune after an inquiry from the newspaper to residents opposing the handling of demonstrations, said the mayor is trying to avoid hearing public criticism.

“While Lori is on national stages talking about how we need to reform police by creating fewer day-to-day interactions between police and citizens, her own city is not allowed to move through the neighborhood or feel the same kind of safety she is claiming to advocate for nationally,” Dean wrote. “As a neighbor, I find protests and actions near her home significantly less disruptive than her response to the protestors, which only aim to keep her from having to listen to the voices of her constituents.”

It was unclear whether some neighbors might be in favor of a police presence keeping protesters at bay. On the block this week, barricades with the look of French railings sat to the side off Wrightwood Avenue near the house, as one passerby pushed a stroller down Lightfoot’s block and another walked a dog...."

Hey, twat, if you allow them to block streets downtown, and tear shit up downtown, why not on your block?
(Fuck you Groot!)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Typical leftist BS. They can't allow this violence and destruction near her, but it's okay for the other parts of the city to be ruined and citizen's safety jeopardized while she is safe and cozy at home.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
Typical leftist BS. They can't allow this violence and destruction near her, but it's okay for the other parts of the city to be ruined and citizen's safety jeopardized while she is safe and cozy at home.

Looters for thee, but not for me.

Pelosi was avid to complain about walls blocking entrance to the US. But it was pointed out everywhere she has a residence has multiple walls surrounding the place.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
CHICAGO — The Chicago Police Department has effectively banned protesters from demonstrating on Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s block in the Logan Square neighborhood, ordering officers to arrest anyone who refuses to leave, the Tribune has learned.

The directive surfaced in a July email from then-Shakespeare District Commander Melvin Roman to officers under his command. It did not distinguish between the peaceful protesters Lightfoot regularly says she supports and those who might intend to be destructive, but ordered that after a warning is given to demonstrators, “It should be locked down.”

Since the order, and even for a time just prior to its writing, Chicago cops have repeatedly blocked protesters’ access to the block with groups of officers and barricades. Police have often kept protesters contained at the nearby corner of Kimball and Wrightwood avenues, though one standoff between activists and officers last month saw police go as far as bringing in an armored vehicle in case things got out of hand...

It kind of makes you wonder what is the purpose of the police? Who are they there to protect and serve?
Why Lori Lightfoot herself, of course!
... and of course she knows that if she can stop it on her block, she could stop it elsewhere if she wanted to.

I'm not trying to criticize the police who are only following orders... but the people giving the orders.

The businesses being looted and burned are the one's paying the large share of the taxes that pay for the police. Once that is gone... it's not coming back.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klusk2:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

It's more simple than that, it's a criminal thing, you're either one or you're not. If you are and there's no consequences, it breeds more criminals. Chicago and other deep blue cities have declared war on the law abiding citizens and until they change the way they vote, it will continue. Of the 2.7 million people in Chicago that were eligible to vote in the last election, 29% voted. Those are pathetic numbers, but what do you expect if asked to choose between a broken left or broken right leg. I know what side I'm on when the true shit hits the fan and I'm ready.

I feel that voting is my way to voice my opinion.
UNFORTUNATELY in Chicago you really have to swallow hard when you vote.
I actually voted for Lightfoot because she was better than the other choices.
I vote Republican if there is a candidate,rarely is there.
In November I will have to gag when I see Kim Fox get re-elected, no way will the Republican get elected.
Lost cause here.

Posts: 4627 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:. . . I actually voted for Lightfoot because she was better than the other choices. . . .

So what you are saying is if the opponent won the election, things would be even worse in Chicago. Maybe the only difference is the slope of the decay curve.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
When I have a choice of loser candidates running for an office, I leave those spaces blank.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
One thing about these riots...These democrats are out in the open now. Openly making statements that they have a right to protect their homes and you don't have that right. They aren't even trying to pretend any more.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She's fortunate that justice in her city is such a scarce commodity, because if true justice existed, she'd be forced to resign, then tarred and feathered and then jailed, with the tar and feathers still on her. Five years, minimum, then we'll talk about it, but, don't get your hopes up, you fraud.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hair cuts and self defense are only for the elites. Every day Joe is not allowed to work or get their hair cut.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Man, she really has the nerve.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Did you all know Marquise Love is still on the run?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post