SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your melee weapon of choice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your melee weapon of choice? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, I freely admit that my experience with melees is seriously limited. One could be excused for interpreting that as "non-existent".

So, knowing that someone at SF knows the answer to any possible question, I'll ask:

What IS the recommended melee weapon for a fat, inexperienced, tired old man with bad joints and a hyper-developed sense of self-preservation?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Well, since sharks with friggen' lasers on their heads doesn't qualify as a melee weapon, I'm gonna' have to go with a short cut and thrust sword, like a Gladius, or maybe a Wakizashi.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel gladius. This is NOT a flimsy machete and is an excellent thrusting weapon.

Or my Cold Steel Assegai; it started as the short shaft version but now sports about a 4’ shaft for around 5’ overall. Nasty piece of business.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Something like this.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
3' wrecking bar. Oh the damage I've done with that bad boy...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe. 36" handle for reach or defense, non-slip grip with a nicely flared knob and lanyard hole for control, sharp edge for cutting, head profile designed for easy release from "material" and a solid pole for bashing when cutting isn't preferred. 6.5 pounds so it will wield quicker than a fire axe.

Now, for an assault axe, I'd want a lighter, shorter axe with a 2-ish pound head, but you said melee, so longer and heavier it is.

It's even easy to clean...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Another good choice is any pair of medium range hand weapons wielded escrima-style. (The word escrima actually means, "skirmish".) Double-baton, double-short sword, even double-knife in a pinch.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ice axe.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
a firefighters pike pole in the 4 or 6 foot length. A point, and a hook.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my Kukri, then there is my Council Tools Dayton axe.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Arming sword, I think. Looks light enough for me to handle, pretty durable, cutty on both sides and stabby at the pointy end.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post

Fiskars clearing axe

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Or my Cold Steel Assegai; it started as the short shaft version but now sports about a 4’ shaft for around 5’ overall. Nasty piece of business.

[/url]

If that don't do it wack em on the head with your purse.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Well, I freely admit that my experience with melees is seriously limited. One could be excused for interpreting that as "non-existent".

So, knowing that someone at SF knows the answer to any possible question, I'll ask:

What IS the recommended melee weapon for a fat, inexperienced, tired old man with bad joints and a hyper-developed sense of self-preservation?

https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/store

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
A bull whip like on Indiana Jones.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Got to agree with the aluminum baseball bat, preferably a little league model. Lightweight, easy to swing and damn near impossible to break. And it's hard to beat the "ping" of an aluminum bat.

I have several 'youth model' bats I picked up at thrift stores for $2-4 each.

Bonus points for them since they are 'sporting utensils.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
A bull whip like on Indiana Jones.

Uh, the criteria includes "actual ability to wield."

Please provide video evidence of your ability to use a bull whip in self defense.

If this is actually your weapon of choice, I think reality will set in quickly, in a moment of need.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a bat, does it have to be off the shelf? A Louisville slugger with a bunch of huge fargin’ nails hammered through it like in Stranger Things.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but I do know I ain't never touching one of Arc's flashlights. Big Grin

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post