SIGforum
What is your melee weapon of choice?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4770090754

May 24, 2019, 04:52 PM
PHPaul
What is your melee weapon of choice?
Well, I freely admit that my experience with melees is seriously limited. One could be excused for interpreting that as "non-existent".

So, knowing that someone at SF knows the answer to any possible question, I'll ask:

What IS the recommended melee weapon for a fat, inexperienced, tired old man with bad joints and a hyper-developed sense of self-preservation?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
May 24, 2019, 04:54 PM
H&K-Guy
Well, since sharks with friggen' lasers on their heads doesn't qualify as a melee weapon, I'm gonna' have to go with a short cut and thrust sword, like a Gladius, or maybe a Wakizashi.

H&K-Guy
May 24, 2019, 04:57 PM
gearhounds
Cold Steel gladius. This is NOT a flimsy machete and is an excellent thrusting weapon.

Or my Cold Steel Assegai; it started as the short shaft version but now sports about a 4’ shaft for around 5’ overall. Nasty piece of business.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
May 24, 2019, 04:59 PM
tigereye313

Something like this.

May 24, 2019, 05:00 PM
bigdeal
3' wrecking bar. Oh the damage I've done with that bad boy...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
May 24, 2019, 05:01 PM
ArtieS
Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe. 36" handle for reach or defense, non-slip grip with a nicely flared knob and lanyard hole for control, sharp edge for cutting, head profile designed for easy release from "material" and a solid pole for bashing when cutting isn't preferred. 6.5 pounds so it will wield quicker than a fire axe.

Now, for an assault axe, I'd want a lighter, shorter axe with a 2-ish pound head, but you said melee, so longer and heavier it is.

It's even easy to clean...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
May 24, 2019, 05:08 PM
kkina
Another good choice is any pair of medium range hand weapons wielded escrima-style. (The word escrima actually means, "skirmish".) Double-baton, double-short sword, even double-knife in a pinch.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
May 24, 2019, 05:09 PM
Mars_Attacks
Ice axe.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
LtJL
a firefighters pike pole in the 4 or 6 foot length. A point, and a hook.
roberth
I like my Kukri, then there is my Council Tools Dayton axe.

May 24, 2019, 05:15 PM
rusbro
Arming sword, I think. Looks light enough for me to handle, pretty durable, cutty on both sides and stabby at the pointy end.

May 24, 2019, 05:16 PM
Bisleyblackhawk

Fiskars clearing axe

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
May 24, 2019, 05:23 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Or my Cold Steel Assegai; it started as the short shaft version but now sports about a 4’ shaft for around 5’ overall. Nasty piece of business.

[/url]

If that don't do it wack em on the head with your purse.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
May 24, 2019, 05:25 PM
arcwelder
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Well, I freely admit that my experience with melees is seriously limited. One could be excused for interpreting that as "non-existent".

So, knowing that someone at SF knows the answer to any possible question, I'll ask:

What IS the recommended melee weapon for a fat, inexperienced, tired old man with bad joints and a hyper-developed sense of self-preservation?

https://www.oldeshillelagh.com/store

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

May 24, 2019, 05:27 PM
sdy

May 24, 2019, 05:28 PM
radioman
A bull whip like on Indiana Jones.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
May 24, 2019, 05:30 PM
Hound Dog
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Got to agree with the aluminum baseball bat, preferably a little league model. Lightweight, easy to swing and damn near impossible to break. And it's hard to beat the "ping" of an aluminum bat.

I have several 'youth model' bats I picked up at thrift stores for $2-4 each.

Bonus points for them since they are 'sporting utensils.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
May 24, 2019, 05:36 PM
arcwelder
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
A bull whip like on Indiana Jones.

Uh, the criteria includes "actual ability to wield."

Please provide video evidence of your ability to use a bull whip in self defense.

If this is actually your weapon of choice, I think reality will set in quickly, in a moment of need.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

May 24, 2019, 05:38 PM
asonie
I like the idea of a bat, does it have to be off the shelf? A Louisville slugger with a bunch of huge fargin’ nails hammered through it like in Stranger Things.
May 24, 2019, 05:39 PM
Fredward
I don't know, but I do know I ain't never touching one of Arc's flashlights. Big Grin