SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your melee weapon of choice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your melee weapon of choice? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
What is your melee weapon of choice?

I'm thinking a Buick.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post

A crowbar was good enough for Gordon Freeman. It's good enough for me.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
EDC: karambit or Colonel NCO blade. Dog walking and when my knee acts up: Sword cane with Japanese style blade; for both stabbing and piercing. My style is primarily Filipino Martial Arts and the 8 angles of attack for blades.

For full on Mad Max/Zombie Apocalypse: tomahawk in one hand, a mace or war hammer in the other. I learned how truly effective a mace/war hammer is while watching Knight Fight this year.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
When I worked on a surveying crew I always felt medieval when we used these for clearing line...

most excellent choice, I have one and have used it often,
there is also another version, slighly longer thinner blade, sharpened on both sides,

both will do, since if for whatever reason they break off, the ax handle itself is a formidable tool for beating things senseless

I have one- very fast and sharp.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always liked flails and mace's.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
When I worked on a surveying crew I always felt medieval when we used these for clearing line...

most excellent choice, I have one and have used it often,
there is also another version, slighly longer thinner blade, sharpened on both sides,

both will do, since if for whatever reason they break off, the ax handle itself is a formidable tool for beating things senseless

I have one- very fast and sharp.

My father introduced me to those at age 12, to clear brush and saplings. Quite a bit of practice in using one in the early-mid '70s. Bush axe.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sadly I am too old to get in to melee mode,
but 20 yeas ago ,
an axe handle w a 5 inch piece of re rod on the end

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I keep a CRKT Kangee Tomahawk in the car. Once piece metal construction, sharpened spike, and the top is also sharpened for close in wrestling.

I have a number of camping blades that I keep scattered throughout the house for emergencies. This one is next to my bed, and is sharpened to max of my (own opinion) rather substantial ability:

I also have one of these that I've considered using if I had to--it's 19" of reach has just enough room in the handle for a hand and a half grip.

But what I really want is this, or really anything else I can get from RMJ Tactical:

But I'll probably end up with a 15-30" sword or blade of some sort, favoring kukris or other heavier (battle cleaver?) blades for chopping rather than a wakizashi. A gladius is appealing, but I'd prefer a single edge blade for legality reasons.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RMJ Shrike.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
If we're allowed a backup weapon, a halberd cut down to 6 feet total, with a weapon head on the bottom(butt-spike or hammer pommel), with a rondel dagger/long dagger as backup.

You may be surprised how handy longer weapons can be in close quarters with a tad bit of knowledge. You aren't relegated to just using the weapon head to fight with.

That said, what I actually HAVE as something that I could use as a melee weapon is my SOG Kukuri and a Cold Steel Longsword. Those would probably make a decent combination. All my halberds, spears, and rondel daggers are fake for sport.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Hmmmm. Interesting. I do have this:

That's a solid brass ball off the end of an old draft horse hame. Coupla pounds worth.

That'll do.

quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Lucille

Let's be honest and call this masturbatory.

Want to lend a hand? Big Grin

The reason I chose the barbed wire bat is it is unlikely to require placing ones foot in someone’s chest to dislodge it. While still being able to dissuade a number of attackers.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Katana and his little brother, bought in Japan a couple years ago, good quality but no edge so they were considered toys. Shipped them to myself by boat to avoid airline problems.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Easy. Samurai sword. Think Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction when he reeks havoc and vengeance on the butt pirates.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
F250, 6.7 liter diesel

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Good old PR 24.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Damn Cold Steel people! I may have to add one of these to the collection. The price is definitely right and it will KEEL!

https://www.coldsteel.com/kopi...ete-with-sheath.html

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
What am i fighting in this scenario?

Doors, Kevin. Doors.

... Everything and anything, jackwagon.

Hey, just making sure...

I didin't know if we had suits of armor or what not....

Against someone or equal technology (as in we aren't fighting mounted knights or some crap) I would choose a short sword/machete style weapon for my right hand, and an automatic knife for my left hand current with the Eskrima doctrine (Filipino martial arts)

If for some reason I could use a short sword/machete I would use a stick (like my 22" cocobolo baton) and a knife instead. If i were actually true to the Filipino arts, I'd have multiple knives, swords, and sticks on me thought....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Against someone or equal technology (as in we aren't fighting mounted knights or some crap) I would choose a short sword/machete style weapon for my right hand, and an automatic knife for my left hand current with the Eskrima doctrine (Filipino martial arts)

If for some reason I could use a short sword/machete I would use a stick (like my 22" cocobolo baton) and a knife instead. If i were actually true to the Filipino arts, I'd have multiple knives, swords, and sticks on me thought....

Ahh, espada y daga...good choice!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Ahh, espada y daga...good choice!

Always! Or, as I'm sure you know, and you would NEVER ACTUALLY SAY to another practicioner.... Want to play?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a flamethrower out of the question?

Tank wouldn't be a bad choice either. Even if it has no / runs out of ammo. Not much stopping that bad boy! (until it runs out of gas)

But good old hand-to-hand type stuff...
Two nice Gladius style blades, super sharp, nice pommel on the end.
But that leaves you open for some dirty sumbitch tossing a spear or chuckin' rocks or arrows (or even a trident) at you.
So give me a shield as well.

(Espada Daga... Naaa, Im not breaking anything, Im just cutting everything off! Big Grin )

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post