SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your melee weapon of choice?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your melee weapon of choice? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
A trebuchet launching rotting cow carcasses, of course.

Todd

Todd, play by the rules or stay out of the thread. In case it's unclear, a trebuchet is not a melee weapon.

So I'm guessing "Red Ball Keds" and GTFO of Town is not a suitable answer then?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A jõ type staff, or a good solid bokken. (A bokken is actually better in this situation than a steel sword, which tends to get caught in "things".)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’ve been lucky enough to acquire several honest to God swords of various makes over the years that I can choose from

Although I am a big strong guy, my current back issues and such would make me pass up the claymore, bastard sword, longsword, falchion, and some others and go with the gladius

Smaller and faster, wickedly sharp...and I could wield it right now

Although, now that I think about, I’ll change my choice to my spear

Still fast and sharp, gives me reach beyond what most people will choose and......

When I’m not wielding it I can use it as a walking stick to help my broke ass get around Big Grin

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Biggest mace I can swing.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Todd

Todd, play by the rules or stay out of the thread. In case it's unclear, a trebuchet is not a melee weapon.

Listen, if the man says he can wield it as a melee weapon, I wanna see him do it. Lets get some 3D models going.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Walking cane. We had a thread a while back listing some good models.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
quote:

Todd

So I'm guessing "Red Ball Keds" and GTFO of Town is not a suitable answer then?

Are "Red Ball Keds" siege machinery?

Footwear is technically a melee weapon, is it really your weapon of choice?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeballing a cutlass. Not great for doors (have an Estwing axe for that), long enough for some reach, but not so long you can't use it in a narrow space if need be.

Open space I'd consider a spear.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
quote:

Todd

Listen, if the man says he can wield it as a melee weapon, I wanna see him do it. Lets get some 3D models going.

Considering he stipulated it can throw a cow carcass, he's not talking about a scale model.

There is an enormous range of choices among actual weapons, tools, sporting implements and more, available.

If you can't answer the question I set out in the OP, stay out of my thread.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm thinkin' my Estwing 26" camper's axe. Small and light enough that, with a bit of practice, I think I could one-hand it, but big enough and with enough weight I could probably do some serious damage with both hands and my weight behind it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post

The "Kukri," weapon of choice for thousands of years of melees.

My Spyderco Delica is for comparison purposes.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A kukri. Good choice.

Arc.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A sawed off bat is nice. Add some old school hobnails for that retro trench warfare styling.

I had a pick axe handle wrapped in the middle with bat tape that I called "the clump". (as in clump you on the head) Kept it in my vehicles for years, never used it on anyone... that is to say I never hit anyone with it. A handful people thought I might hit them and they went on their way instead continuing what they were doing, so in that way it was very effective.

Buford Pusser if you like. I was more a mind of Br'er Bear.
"I'm gonna knock his head clean off."

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Damn Joe! A feller could fell a pretty sizeable tree with that thing. Great choice!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

My plan re: melees is to be elsewhere when one occurs, hence the rapid footwear.

I suppose if I were forced by circumstances to participate, something in a nice medium-weight (out of respect for what's left of my shoulders) halberd would be handy.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Damn Joe! A feller could fell a pretty sizeable tree with that thing. Great choice!

Great heft for hacking, curved blade for slashing, and very sharp at the front end for stabbing. It's big, but not so big that you over swing and end up off balance at the bottom of the arc.

The Gurkas employ the most modern weaponry, but every one of them still carries a kukri on their belt.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

My plan re: melees is to be elsewhere when one occurs, hence the rapid footwear.

I suppose if I were forced by circumstances to participate, something in a nice medium-weight (out of respect for what's left of my shoulders) halberd would be handy.

Pole arms are probably a bad choice for a versatile melee weapon, and really, commercially available ones are "for display purposes." Consider the length and weight, I don't think a pole arm would be good for someone with bad shoulders.

Arc.

Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
I'm going with aluminum bat. I'm taking my daughter's tball bat as soon as she is done with it. Super light, swings fast and has that nice ting sound when hitting things.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My options:
Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel. It got sharpened, but I dont how.... Cool
Cold Steel Trail Hawk. The hammer is handy.
Stanley FatMax Demolition Wrench. Everyone should own one of these mutha scratchers.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to agree with the aluminum baseball bat, preferably a little league model. Lightweight, easy to swing and damn near impossible to break. And it's hard to beat the "ping" of an aluminum bat.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post